Oxford Canal, Hillmorton Rugby

bottle

Featured Posts

Whilst out walking, found outline planning application attached to lamppost.

It is for a new town to be built on the Radio Station, it includes the fields either side of the canal.

6,200 dwellings, retail, restaurant, hotel, secondary school, 3 primary schools,

More info here:

http://www.planningportal.rugby.gov.uk/detail.asp?AltRef=R11/0699&ApplicationNumber=&AddressPrefix=radio+&submit1=Go

Whilst out walking, found outline planning application attached to lamppost.

It is for a new town to be built on the Radio Station, it includes the fields either side of the canal.

6,200 dwellings, retail, restaurant, hotel, secondary school, 3 primary schools,

More info here:

http://www.planningportal.rugby.gov.uk/detail.asp?AltRef=R11/0699&ApplicationNumber=&AddressPrefix=radio+&submit1=Go

What? No Marina! :rolleyes:

It's going to have a significant impact on the canal and will virtually completely surround Hillmorton Locks.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=52.365276,-1.193819&spn=0.034853,0.090895&t=h&z=14

Edit: Having looked properly it will not have anything like the impact I first thought but will still be significant.

http://www.planningportal.rugby.gov.uk/R11-0699/CD1%20Outline%20Planning%20Application/Book%20of%20Drawings/Parameter%20Plans/5%20RRS002-PL-05-Development%20Parcels-RevL%20@A2.pdf

Edited by Speedwheel

Because of the thousands of miles of wiring, still underground, the pastureland that was the mast site is designated brown field so it makes it easier for the developer to sidestep the restrictions on the carving up of warwickshire's precious meadow land.

Personally I favoured the wind farm proposal but local opposition kaiboshed that one.

Edited by carlt

Unless I've read the maps and key incorrectly it looks to me as if there'll be little or no impact on Hillmorton and the canal area apart from a 'formalising' of the green area on the offside, currently occupied by cows and sheep. You won't even be able to see the new development from any point on the canal between the Old Royal Oak and Brownsover apart from the mysterious Area 17 which looks as if it's the old BT headquarters building and the atomic clock house etc. You might get a glimpse from the water point at the bottom of the locks but that would soon disappear behind the low hills again.

Unless I've read the maps and key incorrectly.................

As a Hillmortonite who will be affected by this new town, we have followed the planning closely and suggest you read the contours a little closer. The town centre will dominate the skyline from all angles, there is a canalside commercial block as well as canalside housing development plus a new main road which will run beside the canal connecting the whole lot all the way to Rugby.

And no there is no mention now of a marina which is a surprise, considering that marina building was so in vogue when they started planning and they did originally suggest that one would be below the bottom lock as part of a wetland wildfowl area.

of the green area on the offside, currently occupied by cows and sheep.

My ex was involved in the development of DIRFT, when they were digging up that bit of "Commercially uneconomical pastureland" as she called it.

I prefer to describe it as "beautiful meadowland that is a habitat for hundreds of species of plant and animal life".

Cows and sheep are 2 of them.

this is the ideal location.

I can think of plenty of proper brownfield sites that would be far better locations, and less damaging to the environment.

Edited by carlt

Unless I've read the maps and key incorrectly.................

As a Hillmortonite who will be affected by this new town, we have followed the planning closely and suggest you read the contours a little closer. The town centre will dominate the skyline from all angles, there is a canalside commercial block as well as canalside housing development plus a new main road which will run beside the canal connecting the whole lot all the way to Rugby.

And no there is no mention now of a marina which is a surprise, considering that marina building was so in vogue when they started planning and they did originally suggest that one would be below the bottom lock as part of a wetland wildfowl area.

Well I've done as you suggest and looked at the contours a little closer and for the life of me I can't see a town centre which dominates a skyline from all angles. The 'District Centre' shown on the outline planning map appears to be just where the words "Rugby Radio Station" are printed on my landranger map and that's below the 99 m countour level which means it's shielded from view from the canal by a 110 m hill to the north of Moors Lane. True, there's a tiny little bit of the perimeter of a commercial area butting up to the canal at the end of Moors Lane where it bends round to meet the A428 and an isolated residential area on the offside above the Top Lock but that seems to be it. As for the road running 'all the way to Rugby, it doesn't. It's labelled 'options for access' and as it appears to end in the village of Clifton on Dunsmore, it seems apretty silly one to me. I think you've missed the point a little in that as the OP is on Canalworld discussion forum, surely the interest in this development is from a canal point of view, not the views of those who live in the higher areas of Hillmorton who's outlooks may well be affected. As for the Oxford canal outlook, I can't see a lot of change there and if it means civilisation is a bit more accessible from Hillmorton moorings, then bring it on I say. As another poster has said - people have got to live somewhere.

Well I've done as you suggest and looked at the contours a little closer and for the life of me I can't see a town centre which dominates a skyline from all angles. The 'District Centre' shown on the outline planning map appears to be just where the words "Rugby Radio Station" are printed on my landranger map and that's below the 99 m countour level which means it's shielded from view from the canal by a 110 m hill to the north of Moors Lane. True, there's a tiny little bit of the perimeter of a commercial area butting up to the canal at the end of Moors Lane where it bends round to meet the A428 and an isolated residential area on the offside above the Top Lock but that seems to be it. As for the road running 'all the way to Rugby, it doesn't. It's labelled 'options for access' and as it appears to end in the village of Clifton on Dunsmore, it seems apretty silly one to me. I think you've missed the point a little in that as the OP is on Canalworld discussion forum, surely the interest in this development is from a canal point of view, not the views of those who live in the higher areas of Hillmorton who's outlooks may well be affected. As for the Oxford canal outlook, I can't see a lot of change there and if it means civilisation is a bit more accessible from Hillmorton moorings, then bring it on I say. As another poster has said - people have got to live somewhere.

I apologise - didn't mean to cause upset and I bow to your obvious knowledge and evident support for the development. But - are you sure that the civilisation ("isolated residential area on the offside above the Top Lock") that you predict will be accessible from Hillmorton moorings, will actually allow the moorings to exist opposite their balconies?

I apologise - didn't mean to cause upset and I bow to your obvious knowledge and evident support for the development. But - are you sure that the civilisation ("isolated residential area on the offside above the Top Lock") that you predict will be accessible from Hillmorton moorings, will actually allow the moorings to exist opposite their balconies?

No, didn't know anything about the development until I saw it on the forum. Just did a bit of map reading as you suggested. As for supporting the development I have no particular strong feelings either way. Just don't like to see gross exaggerations in print designed to enflame a situation. And as for Hillmorton moorings I really can't see what future residents could reasonably do about them. After all the moorings have grandfather rights and boat owners aren't going to be at bedroom window level as at Ansty. Personally I think that anyone who wants a canalside property in direct sight and sound line of the West Coast Main Line with it's 20 plus trains an hour directly above one of the (in the summer) busiest and most congested lock stretches in the country is welcome to it.