Liverpool link

boatyboy

Featured Posts

Hi everyone.Just spent 3 gorgious days moored up in Salthouse Dock in Liverpool.

There is so much to see and do.We had a Beer or three in the Cavern,even if it stunk of a sewer inside. Several laps around the high spots of the City on an open top bus.8 rotations on the Big wheel,even though it said we would get 3.Fantasic views over the City.A ride on the Duck tour that takes you all around the docks on the Water,then drives out and takes you around the city.A night out to see Peter Kay at the huge new Echo Arena.All topped of with a fantastic meal.We have been on the boat for 3 years now and it was one of the highlights so far.

Now the not so good bits.As you might or might not know its an assisted passage from bridge 9 all the way down into the Dock,and took 4.5 hours to complete.We were pre warned about the rubbish in the canal by the BW guys. RUBBISH!!! I've never seen so much sh*te in a canal,well apart from Manchester/Birmingham/Leeds.We fouled our prop 4 times during the trip both ways.

There are no boater facilties once in the Dock,but you do have taps and power on your jetty.Power cards are from the tourist info office next to salthouse dock.We were told that a floating pumpout boat cames around several times during the stay.He also sells diesel.Though we never saw him once.

So be advised that if you need water/pumpout/cassette etc.Do it at Litherland services,as there are no more on the way.

Hope you enjoy your time there as much as we did.

Dave

Hi everyone.Just spent 3 gorgious days moored up in Salthouse Dock in Liverpool.

There is so much to see and do.We had a Beer or three in the Cavern,even if it stunk of a sewer inside. Several laps around the high spots of the City on an open top bus.8 rotations on the Big wheel,even though it said we would get 3.Fantasic views over the City.A ride on the Duck tour that takes you all around the docks on the Water,then drives out and takes you around the city.A night out to see Peter Kay at the huge new Echo Arena.All topped of with a fantastic meal.We have been on the boat for 3 years now and it was one of the highlights so far.

Now the not so good bits.As you might or might not know its an assisted passage from bridge 9 all the way down into the Dock,and took 4.5 hours to complete.We were pre warned about the rubbish in the canal by the BW guys. RUBBISH!!! I've never seen so much sh*te in a canal,well apart from Manchester/Birmingham/Leeds.We fouled our prop 4 times during the trip both ways.

There are no boater facilties once in the Dock,but you do have taps and power on your jetty.Power cards are from the tourist info office next to salthouse dock.We were told that a floating pumpout boat cames around several times during the stay.He also sells diesel.Though we never saw him once.

So be advised that if you need water/pumpout/cassette etc.Do it at Litherland services,as there are no more on the way.

Hope you enjoy your time there as much as we did.

Dave

You should have said you where in Liverpool earlier, we would have come down and said hello and bought you a beer

There is a pumpout boat in the dock complex. You can get hold of him through Liverpool Marina. He only works certain days.

Try going across from the MSC and you can miss all the grotty bits.

I did call the pump out boat,as i required fuel.He said he would be there at 3.00pm.We were in yates's bar in the city having a curry that took ages to come.Hence i only managed to gulp down half of it before i had to run all the way back to the boat to be there for 3'oclock.(bloody hard when one is nearly 60). The B*rsteward never arrived :angry: !!!

We were booked to leave the dock at 8.30 next morning.And had to leave with a quarter tank of fuel and full loo.I was not a happy chappy.

Dave

We have just left Liverpool today having spent the full 12 days there. To be fair to the s*** boat, his fuel pump failed last week but he still managed to empty our cassettes twice. Whilst there is power for all berths water is every 2 or 3 pontoons so you may have to share hoses. The pontoons are open access with only a chain across the steps so make sure you keep your doors closed. There are plenty of people walking along the pontoons that are not boat owners.

Don't fall in the water! It is about 18ft deep. For a company obsessed with H & S, there are precious few ladders to help you get out of the water.

Your booking confirmation will probably give a departure time of 9.30 and tell you to stay on your mooring at Salthouse Dock until told to move. The team at the locks say differently, giving all sorts of different times, seemingly depending on which day you came down. Today, they knocked on our roof at 7.50am to tell us to get ready. They did the same with the other 6 narrowboats and one wideboat giving the stupid sight of many boats milling around in Canning Dock while waiting for the lock. As the last boat, I just watched the others from the dock side and when the last pair entered, I walked back to the boat and left, still arriving at Mann Island before the lock was ready.

There are no facilities after Burscough until Litherland, so make sure you have enough water if you are going slowly. If, like us, you only cover 3 hours a day and then your water pump leaks, you might have a problem!

Most boaters travelling to Liverpool tend to stop the night around bridge 10. It is very pleasant there but the 9.30am time at bridge 9 is also variable. The pair of boats moored next to us were phoned by BW at 8.20am to find out where they were as BW were ready to open the bridge. We moored overnight at bridge 9. Whilst there were plenty of anglers around, it was one of the quietist moorings we've had. And the start was dead on 9.30am!

There is a pub at Albert Dock, the Pumphouse. It sells Greene King real ale at London prices. I don't think I would want to eat there having seen the chef. There is the Baltic Fleet about half a mile along Wapping with its own brewery. Beers are first class but the pub decor leaves a lot to be desired. The Hub Alehouse just up Hanover Street past John Lewis has 5 real ales on tap but again at London prices. We tried several other pubs in the city, most of them good but our favourite was The Beehive on the far side of Liverpool One as you enter the old city centre.

A trip on the Mersey is a must if only for the best view of the Three Graces. The view from the dock being obscured by the 'stunning' new buildings.

Enjoy Liverpool, we did.

Regards

Pete

ps. The meter for socket 2 on the electricity pillar between berths S16 and S17 is stuck so whoever gets there first can enjoy free electricity! We were on S17.

Edited by pearley

We have just left Liverpool today having spent the full 12 days there. To be fair to the s*** boat, his fuel pump failed last week but he still managed to empty our cassettes twice. Whilst there is power for all berths water is every 2 or 3 pontoons so you may have to share hoses. The pontoons are open access with only a chain across the steps so make sure you keep your doors closed. There are plenty of people walking along the pontoons that are not boat owners.

Don't fall in the water! It is about 18ft deep. For a company obsessed with H & S, there are precious few ladders to help you get out of the water.

Your booking confirmation will probably give a departure time of 9.30 and tell you to stay on your mooring at Salthouse Dock until told to move. The team at the locks say differently, giving all sorts of different times, seemingly depending on which day you came down. Today, they knocked on our roof at 7.50am to tell us to get ready. They did the same with the other 6 narrowboats and one wideboat giving the stupid sight of many boats milling around in Canning Dock while waiting for the lock. As the last boat, I just watched the others from the dock side and when the last pair entered, I walked back to the boat and left, still arriving at Mann Island before the lock was ready.

There is a pub at Albert Dock, the Pumphouse. It sells Greene King real ale at London prices. I don't think I would want to eat there having seen the chef. There is the Baltic Fleet about half a mile along Wapping with its own brewery. Beers are first class but the pub decor leaves a lot to be desired. The Hub Alehouse just up Hanover Street past John Lewis has 5 real ales on tap but again at London prices. We tried several other pubs in the city, most of them good but our favourite was The Beehive on the far side of Liverpool One as you enter the old city centre.

A trip on the Mersey is a must if only for the best view of the Three Graces. The view from the dock being obscured by the 'stunning' new buildings.We did the ferry/open top bus/duck tour/Peter kay concert.We had a fantastic time.All to short though.

Dave

Enjoy Liverpool, we did.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete.Thanks for all that info.In fact we have already been in the dock,and left Saturday morning.I was aware that the pontoons were open to all.there were some youths swimming near our boat.

I should have added that the Mersey TAI swimming club swim around the dock every Sunday morning, hardy souls, and that the Duckmobile enter the water with a huge splash which will push your boat around a lot. If you are there for more than a few days you will get really p****d off with the horn blowing and 'Yellow Submarine'!

Ribble Link next week.

Edited by pearley

I noticed that the marina services boat has been having trouble lately. You do sometime see yachts moored up on one of the pontoons here to fuel up, though not sure where the pump out is, maybe that's why they don't offer a sail-up service?

If you moor up along the dock wall with the slipway on it, you're likely to feel the strong effects of the duckmarine wash when it splashes down. If you moor up on the other wall along Wapping, it will pass a few feet away from your stern so make sure you're decent or the tourists will have their cameras out! Either way also beware of rowers who practice quite late into the evening... can be a bit of a shock if you have your curtains open ;)

THE best pubs in Liverpool are: Ship & Mitre, Dale Street (incredible selection of real ales), Ye Cracke off Pilgrim Street (ex Beatle haunt, full of colourful characters), Peter Kavanaghs on Egerton Street (real fires and loads of different rooms), the Everyman Bistro (nice food too) and The Philharmonic (if only for the legendary gents loo).

If you ever need a local's advice on anything please feel free to PM me. I'm moored in the marina.

ps. The meter for socket 2 on the electricity pillar between berths S16 and S17 is stuck so whoever gets there first can enjoy free electricity! We were on S17.

Pearly, we were on that pontoon in August last year and had free lecky for 8 days.....lol.

We were the only boat going in and out of Liverpool on our days and the BW lads were brill.

The only thing we messed up with was that we had to leave just before the Matthew Street Festival. Had we known it was on, we would have changed our timetable. Overall a great time was had by my wife and I including a visit to the Cavern.

Pearly, we were on that pontoon in August last year and had free lecky for 8 days.....lol.

We were the only boat going in and out of Liverpool on our days and the BW lads were brill.

The only thing we messed up with was that we had to leave just before the Matthew Street Festival. Had we known it was on, we would have changed our timetable. Overall a great time was had by my wife and I including a visit to the Cavern.

very nice to here somthing posative from my area for a change glad you enjoyed it

rgds mike

There are no boater facilties once in the Dock

Apart from the water, electric, showers, pontoon, fuel and pump out...

As for pubs I would say the Fly in the Loaf is one of the best in the city, Roscoes Head is good, the Dispensary, Dr Duncans, Pogue Mahones, Ship and Mitre, Lion Tavern, Rigbys...they are all good.

I wouldnt recommend the Pumphouse or the Baltic really.

We were planning to do the Liverpool Link once we'd crossed over the Ribble on the 21st of this month, but hadn't reckoned on the boat show. Even though it was cancelled all the slots were booked for the time period we wanted, so we've had to put it off this time.

We're definitely planning to do it though, hopefully next year, and this thread is a mine of helpful information which I'll refer to when the time comes - thank you!

We were planning to do the Liverpool Link once we'd crossed over the Ribble on the 21st of this month, but hadn't reckoned on the boat show. Even though it was cancelled all the slots were booked for the time period we wanted, so we've had to put it off this time.

We're definitely planning to do it though, hopefully next year, and this thread is a mine of helpful information which I'll refer to when the time comes - thank you!

Ask Wigan again for passage,On Saturday afternoon 23rd there were 6 boats in

Salthouse dock (there are 46 berths)with only 6 boats per in day

(Sunday/Wednesday/Friday)Salthouse can not be any where near full

BW for what ever reason don't want boats in Salthouse Dock

I know - it's strange isn't it! We visited the Wigan Office in person to try to arrange it but were met with a resounding negative. We've now made other plans for the next couple of weeks, after which we're off down to Coventry, but will definitely come back up again and do the Liverpool Link (we haven't done the Rochdale or HNC so lots still to do up north)

I know - it's strange isn't it! We visited the Wigan Office in person to try to arrange it but were met with a resounding negative. We've now made other plans for the next couple of weeks, after which we're off down to Coventry, but will definitely come back up again and do the Liverpool Link (we haven't done the Rochdale or HNC so lots still to do up north)

had a call from denise at wigan the other day ,she was just advising me there were no cancellations for spring on the waterfront" boat show replacement " and i could not go down for that event.

Its enough to make anyone weep as i see empty pontoons down there.

had a call from denise at wigan the other day ,she was just advising me there were no cancellations for spring on the waterfront" boat show replacement " and i could not go down for that event.

Its enough to make anyone weep as i see empty pontoons down there.

There are quite a few boats coming across from Eastham in the next couple of days, but AIUI one or two of those have dropped out.

Tim

BW emptied the dock on Monday. There are supposed to be 30 boats coming down the canal for the show and another 10 coming from Ellesmere Port. The pontoons go up to S46 so that still ,leaves empty spaces plus the new pontoons. However, the problem is Hancocks Bridge 9. It is a very busy road and BW are very wary of having the bridge open too long. We passed 7 boats going down Tuesday and another 6 going down yesterday. Went off to Southport today so don't know how many tomorrow but 2 very wide boats have just gone past to the show.

Regards

Pete

BW emptied the dock on Monday. There are supposed to be 30 boats coming down the canal for the show and another 10 coming from Ellesmere Port. The pontoons go up to S46 so that still ,leaves empty spaces plus the new pontoons. However, the problem is Hancocks Bridge 9. It is a very busy road and BW are very wary of having the bridge open too long. We passed 7 boats going down Tuesday and another 6 going down yesterday. Went off to Southport today so don't know how many tomorrow but 2 very wide boats have just gone past to the show.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Don't understand your post, Tuesday.

BW say is a no movement day,how do 7 boats come in?

Dont get me wrong if they are relaxing the rules thats great

Ian

Pete,

Don't understand your post, Tuesday.

BW say is a no movement day,how do 7 boats come in?

Dont get me wrong if they are relaxing the rules thats great

Ian

Taking them down on Tuesday because there are so many.

Whilst we were in the dock last week, a wide boat arrived at 10.30am on Tuesday - 19th - He must have come part way on Monday, overnighted at Litherland or Eldonian village and then taken down the locks Tuesday morning.

The BW team that took us back up said Tuesday is reserved for 'emergency movements'?