Mooring in Birstall, Leics

larrysanders

Featured Posts

We're off on a short stint for a few days from Sawley, stopping off in Barrow or Mountsorrel.. I've been through Leicester many times and I'm not keen on all the locks over the bank holiday. So what about Birstall as our most southerly spot as an overnight mooring?

Best pub? good spot? any info welcome.. With thanks.

We've moored there many times without any problemss

There is normally good moorings just before or after Birstall Lock, you can wind after the lock

The nearest pubs are the Old Plough on Front St., about 500m from the lock ot the White Horse (http://www.thewhitehorsebirstall.co.uk/) which is right by the lock.

Both do food, but we've only eaten in the White Horse and can recommend it

Edited as just realised you were coming from Sawley so winding before Birstall is not an option

Edited by PeteS

We've moored there many times without any problemss

There is normally good moorings just before or after Birstall Lock, you can wind before the lock or in the entrance to the marina (about 1 mile further on)

The nearest pubs are the Old Plough on Front St., about 500m from the lock ot the White Horse (http://www.thewhitehorsebirstall.co.uk/) which is right by the lock.

Both do food, but we've only eaten in the White Horse and can recommend it

thanks pete very helpful!

Last time we were in the Old Plough it was basket food only. On the other hand they did let the three-legged dog in, which the riverside pub (called something else then - Mulberry Bush maybe?) wouldn't. Given that Leicester has so many good pubs, I think next time I'd just get the bus into town and go for pizza + cider at the Criterion...

Edited by Richard Fairhurst