Pre Booked Moorings

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

BW is planning to designate several stretches of towpath as "Olympic Visitor Moorings" next August. These are not, as you might expect, near the Olympic site, but as far away as Berko and Tring.

You will be able to pre-book these for up to £20 a night. Who'd be daft enough to book one of these when there's plenty of room for boats to moor for free on the Tring Summit?

If BW deems the venture a success, perhaps they'll extend in the future the pre-booking of moorings at honeypot sites. Just think, no more uncertainty of whether you'll get a mooring at Braunston or Stoke Bruerne, you will already have booked a slot on the internet. Aghhh! I think it's time for me to give up boating.

I think it will happen.

Maybe Pay and Display.

Maybe a cheaper rate for people that pay for mooring and a higher rate for CCers

How could it be fair to charge different rates for the same mooring, given that the person who is paying for a mooring elsewhere may well not be paying BW?

Chances are they will be paying a part of there mooring fee to BW in access charges.

Yes, possibly but take some examples:

A. Someone who moors on a BW mooring - all the mooring fee goes to BW

B. Someone who moors in a marina - a small proportion of the fee goes to BW

C. Someone who moors on non BW waters - pays for a mooring but BW get no income from this

Is it right that all the above should be lumped together and treated preferentially over

D. Someone who pays no mooring fee to anyone

My gast is flabbered ... Berko and Tring areas ? Really ? .... truly ? ... hardly local to the event, which they seem desperate to turn into a sterile area in the name of security.

Ah well, I look forward to hearing of the first Olympic Overstayer ... will they get a medal I wonder ?

• Greenie 1

My gast is flabbered ... Berko and Tring areas ? Really ? .... truly ? ... hardly local to the event, which they seem desperate to turn into a sterile area in the name of security.

Ah well, I look forward to hearing of the first Olympic Overstayer ... will they get a medal I wonder ?

I haven't read whatever the OP has read, but I understood the threshold was somewhere around wormwood scrubs, a lot closer in.

Also. the Olympics are a one off, have you seen hotel room rates? Are they a taste of "things to come"?. No, London will be hopelessly oversubscribed for two weeks next August, then it's business as usual. The canals are no different

I haven't read whatever the OP has read, but I understood the threshold was somewhere around wormwood scrubs, a lot closer in.

Yes it is. I was sharing the OP's surprise that that provision for Olympic visitors is being made so far out.

Also. the Olympics are a one off, have you seen hotel room rates? Are they a taste of "things to come"?. No, London will be hopelessly oversubscribed for two weeks next August, then it's business as usual. The canals are no different

Well quite, I don't think anyone would imagine that Olympic rates will continue after the Olympics are done.

I too shall be keeping as far away as possible.

The moorings will be near stations i.e.

Tring

Berko

Hemel

Apsley

Kings langley

Costs vary from £10-20 a night

Pre booked only

It was announced at the user group meeting last Thursday

The moorings will be near stations i.e.

Tring

Berko

Hemel

Apsley

Kings langley

Costs vary from £10-20 a night

Pre booked only

It was announced at the user group meeting last Thursday

Is that what they've said or what you've assumed?

If the latter, stop jumping to conclusions

If the former, they are pushing their luck and seeing how far they can go, some will be dropped because of the fuss. Hardly the newest trick in the book.

BW's own business plan goes to Wormwood Scrubs, if they'd let me do it, it would have gone to Slough and Uxbridge. (I thought getting naive visiting boaters all the way to Slough for a mooring would have been a great wheeze)

It's for two weeks for an event that we last hosted in 1948, stop worrying.

Is that what they've said or what you've assumed?

If the latter, stop jumping to conclusions

No conclusions, that's what was said in the presentation.

I was at the meeting.

Its also not two weeks but six as it takes in the paralympics as well.

Just for info the full list is

Tring £10

Berko £20

Hemel £20

Apsley £20

kings langley £10

Cassiobury park £15

Croxley green £15

Rickmansworth £15

Wide beams accepted below hemel

there will still be moorings available for non olympic use....

Edited by idleness

How does that work, then?

Tony

The towns mentions are quite long stretches of cut, I assume (if Im allowed) that they'd assign the pounds nearest to the railways stations for the Olympics and leave the rest as normal, all you then need to do is to find a boat length where you can get on the edge lol

:cheers:

Just looked at the BW moorings site. £420 a week for a mooring in the centre of London for a 58ft narrowboat. If you have a wide beam that will be a very reasonable £840 per week !!!!

No doubt they will sell every single one of them. I wonder how many are planning to get a mooring and then rent out their (or someone elses) boat as accomodation for the games at large profit.

Like a lot of people, when events like this take place we head for the hills for a quite and less expensive life. More beer money :cheers: , there's a tought how much are you going to be ripped off for a pint in London during the games.

No conclusions, that's what was said in the presentation.

I was at the meeting.

Its also not two weeks but six as it takes in the paralympics as well.

But we are still talking about an event that was last held in 1948, and if the same return period applies it won't happen again until 2076, when I will be 110.

I wonder how they'd make these more distant one's stick considering that they only sought commercial advice as far as Wormwood Scrubs?

I for one shall be very glad to be as far away as possible...

Absolutely in agreement, York is about as far away as I can get on this boat and thats not far enough !!! and slightly off topic me and a couple of likeminded boaters are setting up a WEDDING FREE zone somewhere in the midlands for weekend after next, another load of utter tosh.....anyone else doing the same ?

Absolutely in agreement, York is about as far away as I can get on this boat and thats not far enough !!! and slightly off topic me and a couple of likeminded boaters are setting up a WEDDING FREE zone somewhere in the midlands for weekend after next, another load of utter tosh.....anyone else doing the same ?

Sounds like a good idea the wedding free zone. I think it will be more difficult than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPiKQGJZfkc

Yup wedding free it is. Some people on our road are trying to arrange a street party and they are complaining that there is little support. Is that because most people aren't bothered <_<

Well we aren't bothered (Vicky Pollard entered the forum ?) and will be finding a wedding free stretch of canal, also somewhere in the midlands.

The only positive is another day off work :cheers:

Us too, only we'll be in the Leamington / Warwick area.

Providing I manage to get the day off work We wont be having a wedding free zone.

Bunting and the Union Flag will be flying from our Jury mast.