Cassette toilet v pump out tank

Michele

Featured Posts

Which toilet do you think is best?

I've been reading up on this and have always thought a pump out tank would be my choice but I'm being swayed towards a cassette toilet now.

What are the pros and cons of using either?

I'd be interested in your thoughts on ease of use, costs etc, thanks.

Michele

Pump Out:-

Pros: Better, nicer, less mess, less smell, lasts longer between emptying.

Cons: Costs more and those with cassettes will be jealous of your proper toilet and try to convince you that you've made a mistake.

<gets coat>

Pump Out:-

Pros: Better, nicer, less mess, less smell, lasts longer between emptying.

Cons: Costs more and those with cassettes will be jealous of your proper toilet and try to convince you that you've made a mistake.

<gets coat>

That's what I always thought, but after the last two winters we've had, how do you get on with not being able to move for weeks on end and not being able to pump out? Surely a cassette loo would be better in that situation?

thanks

Michele

That's what I always thought, but after the last two winters we've had, how do you get on with not being able to move for weeks on end and not being able to pump out? Surely a cassette loo would be better in that situation?

thanks

Michele

We can easily go 3 months between pump outs for each tank (we actually have two). I've never known it freeze for that long.

Do you live aboard? How many of you live aboard?

thanks

Not any more. We did, there were 4 of us. 2 adults and 2 kids. As non liveaboards (using it for the odd weekends and week/fornight cruises etc) we now have a pump out roughly every 18 months.

Not any more. We did, there were 4 of us. 2 adults and 2 kids. As non liveaboards (using it for the odd weekends and week/fornight cruises etc) we now have a pump out roughly every 18 months.

Ooooh I don't fancy Richard the Thirds floating round for 18 months.

No arguing with that, at last someone with a proper p/o tank. Next we'll have moaners saying they couldn't deal with carrying all that shite around for weeks or months on end and why not keep it simple we just take our cassette a few miles down the towpath every 2 days and have a spare one so we can go four days if needed...blah...blah....blah

ETA: What did I tell you..

Edited by nb Innisfree

Do you have to use chemicals in the cassette toilet?

Absolutely no. It's the worst thing you can do. It makes them stink.

Ahh, having read Ray's post I see you changed subject to cassettes. I didn't spot that.

ETA: What did I tell you..

Indeed.

Edited by Gibbo

Have any of you used a self pump-out kit? Would this be more hassle than it's worth?

I know tank sizes vary but how often, on average with two people living aboard, would a pump-out be needed?

Are there lots of places that can do a pump out or are they difficult to find?

Thanks

Which toilet do you think is best?

If your looking to go pump out but want the advantages of what a cassette can give you when needed, then you can have both. There's a toilet (someone will remind us of the make/model), that has a cassette with a optional remote tank.

If your looking to go pump out but want the advantages of what a cassette can give you when needed, then you can have both. There's a toilet (someone will remind us of the make/model), that has a cassette with a optional remote tank.

Ah, most interesting! Thanks, I'll have a look at that option. Best of both worlds, so to speak.

"There is only one way to find out..."

.....by asking advice from people who have been there and done it......?

Have any of you used a self pump-out kit? Would this be more hassle than it's worth?

I know tank sizes vary but how often, on average with two people living aboard, would a pump-out be needed?

Are there lots of places that can do a pump out or are they difficult to find?

Thanks

There are pros and cons for both types so I would personally opt for both - a pump-out for convenience and a cassette for emergency use should there be a problem with the p/o. Failing that a cassette and a spare bottom for emergency use.

The general opinion of the forums appears to me to be that self-pumpouts are not worth the hassle - lugging and cleaning a dirty great hose and storing it somewhere, whereas for about 10 quid someone else will do all the work for you! I know which I would choose!

When we (2 adults - at least we like to think of ourselves as such) have been cruising with a 'cassette only' boat we have found that emptying occurs too often for our liking and that sometimes the cassette has been near the limit before we could find a disposal point. To offset that we got into the habit of using the pub/supermarket loos wherever possible and using as little flush water as possible.

All the best,

John

Ah, most interesting! Thanks, I'll have a look at that option. Best of both worlds, so to speak.

Or the worst of both worlds.

We chose cassette for our livaboard.

We dont have to lug it for miles along a towpath, we have a trolly and the elsen is about 200 yards away.

It is a simple set up. costs nothing to empty, we dont lose any valuable living space due to a holding tank and we didnt get iced in this winter and have to borrow or consider buying a cassette to use when the pump out tank is full.

If however I didnt live on the boat then I would probably have a pump out

There are pros and cons for both types so I would personally opt for both - a pump-out for convenience and a cassette for emergency use should there be a problem with the p/o. Failing that a cassette and a spare bottom for emergency use.

The general opinion of the forums appears to me to be that self-pumpouts are not worth the hassle - lugging and cleaning a dirty great hose and storing it somewhere, whereas for about 10 quid someone else will do all the work for you! I know which I would choose!

When we (2 adults - at least we like to think of ourselves as such) have been cruising with a 'cassette only' boat we have found that emptying occurs too often for our liking and that sometimes the cassette has been near the limit before we could find a disposal point. To offset that we got into the habit of using the pub/supermarket loos wherever possible and using as little flush water as possible.

All the best,

John

Thanks John. Yes, I thought the self pump out wouldn't be worth it and I'd not even thought about storing it...YUK!

When you say you have a cassette for emergency use, is this a porta-potti type that is stored away until you need to use it?

Do you live aboard/spend long periods aboard?

I think the idea of using others' toilets (supermarkets,pub, work, visiting friends etc)is a very good idea!

Cheers

Michele

We chose cassette for our livaboard.

I've read that cassette toilets can be smelly, (air displaced from the cassette when the waste drops in) do you find this?

Is yours a fitted loo or a free standing one?

thanks

Thanks John. Yes, I thought the self pump out wouldn't be worth it and I'd not even thought about storing it...YUK!

When you say you have a cassette for emergency use, is this a porta-potti type that is stored away until you need to use it?

Do you live aboard/spend long periods aboard?

I think the idea of using others' toilets (supermarkets,pub, work, visiting friends etc)is a very good idea!

Cheers

Michele

Hi Michele,

Yes - a spare porta-potti can be stored below one of the beds, or somewhere else that you can find a space.

I am afraid that the longest that I have lived aboard so far is a month, but I have been researching these forums for 2 years now for when I do live aboard - which now seems like next year. The folks on here are generally very knowledgeable and helpful so don't be afraid to ask questions - others will be equally as interested in the replies!

:cheers:

John

The folks on here are generally very knowledgeable and helpful so don't be afraid to ask questions - others will be equally as interested in the replies!

I've been a member for a couple of years and I have learned an awful lot myself. The only problem I've found is the odd person here and there that would rather be sarcastic than helpful, but I suppose that's just life isn't it? We hope to become live-aboards ourselves this time next year, just got to get the house sold and we're off!

It's great to have this online community to pick their brains and hopefully learn from their mistakes!

Thanks

Michele

I've read that cassette toilets can be smelly, (air displaced from the cassette when the waste drops in) do you find this?

Is yours a fitted loo or a free standing one?

thanks

If it was smelly then Swmbo certainly wouldnt want it.

Ours is one of the Thetford fitted ones with fresh water flush, If this one ever breaks I will return to the Thetford free standing type which we had on a previous boat.

Some folk also state pump outs smell as they generally have a breather hole. I had an old crusing boat a few years back which had a pump out and didnt notice this smelling either, so dont always take as gospel the smell stories.

Both types smell when they are emptied, possibly pump outs more than cassette as the contents have laid in state for longer

If you like the idea of a pumpout then have one, and have a porti-potti or similar (i.e. a totally freestanding thing unlike a cassette) for spare. Ours on Warrior was kept in its two halves under the back cabin floor.

Actually, when you're frozen in a pumpout may be a better bet. If you've emptied it before the freeze sets in (and if you're living aboard you will have some warning of this) then it will serve for a good few weeks whereas if you're committed to a cassette you will be braving icy pontoons and snowy towpaths etc every few days to empty it, and may also find the elsan point and/or its water supply frozen. So the argument that pumpouts are worse when you're frozen in is not all that convincing.

The only other thing that would militate against a pumpout in my view is if you have a mooring somewhere or cruise in an area where getting it done is difficult or expensive.

Edited by Chertsey

Michelle, for your information my wife and I have a 130 gall tank with a macerator toilet and a backup Portapotti but in the 5+ years of full time liveaboard ccing we have never needed the Portapotti (fingers crossed!) and the tank lasts us between 4 and 12 weeks depending on visitors (we never go above 3/4 full) We don't bother with a self p/o but just rely on boatyards with the occasional BW one, though it has to be said the latter can be a bit unreliable. If you have a small tank then looking for a p/o could come round too often to be worth it over a cassette IMO.