Bosley Locks

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

Wheeeeee!!!!!! Just whizzed down the 12 Bosley locks in an hour and 10 minutes - took me over 4 hours last time on my ownsome. Thanks to the very extended Cornish family on hireboat Rutland behind me who sent waves of crew (and subs) forward to create some sort of record. Not forgetting Alan of Bollington, who found much of the work done by a bevy of teenage girls. It felt like flying.

Mac

Two years ago I reached the bottom of Bosley, solo. I was still on crutches then. It was going to be a long hard haul.

Then this bloke appeared..... a boat-owning travelling rep with a couple of hours to spare. He had walked down the towpath, windlass in hand, in case anyone needed any help.

I believe in angels....

HPIM2410.JPG

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

I regularly used to descend Bosley single-handed in 1 hour and 10 minutes. But that was 40 years ago when I was ...... much fitter.... not taking Amlovasc and Simvastatins ..... the paddles were larger .... the boat was faster...... the pounds were deeper ........ there were landing stages below the locks ........ and no, there were no connecting paddles to the side ponds even then.

Last time we did these locks we got woken up by a couple of teenagers having a knee trembler against the side of boat - Julie told me to get up and tell them to go (or words to that effect) - but given the grunting and groaning from the young lady I decided that although it's aged I'm happy with my face as it is so I gave it a miss. :lol:

Last time we did these locks we got woken up by a couple of teenagers having a knee trembler against the side of boat - Julie told me to get up and tell them to go (or words to that effect) - but given the grunting and groaning from the young lady I decided that although it's aged I'm happy with my face as it is so I gave it a miss. :lol:

Wait til they've finished then give 'em a hearty round of applause.