William

Skeggy

Featured Posts

Please can anyone give me any information regarding the fate or whereabouts of an ex oveltine motor William.

She was bought direct from Ovaltine by the Beauchamp Lodge Community Center, based in London, in the early sixties and used as used by the youth club for several years.

She was bought by a chap called John Stokes in the early seventies and used as a pleasure craft. He then sold her on in 1977 or thereabouts.

The Bolinder was replaced with a 3 cylinder petter during this time.

I'm afraid this is all the information I have.

Thanks

Please can anyone give me any information regarding the fate or whereabouts of an ex oveltine motor William.

She was bought direct from Ovaltine by the Beauchamp Lodge Community Center, based in London, in the early sixties and used as used by the youth club for several years.

She was bought by a chap called John Stokes in the early seventies and used as a pleasure craft. He then sold her on in 1977 or thereabouts.

Thanks

Sorry I cannot give you any information about William's wherabouts these days, but I remember Her(him) well during the 1960's when she was owned by Beauchamp Lodge and captained by Dennis "Bo" Jewiss. I was a crew member of Pisces, which was owned by Hillingdon Youth Service at the time, and we were one of the few boats that would work through locks with them owing to their reputation of carrying young lads with "interesting" behaviour and language. Somewhwere I think I still have a couple of photos of William from those days, I will have a look for them.

I bought it off John stokes and resold it in 1979. After a series of owners it was indeed taken out of the water at for rebuilding (I have pics) at Wolvercote north of Oxford. Work was proceeding quite well but the couple apparently split up and the boat was broken up - the bits going to Jem Bates.

The petter engine was fitted whilst in the ownership of Beachamp Lodge and was said to be ex-John Knill's Kenelm (Epsom.). The engine was fitted in just before BL took it to Whistable Harbour.

Paul

I bought it off John stokes and resold it in 1979. After a series of owners it was indeed taken out of the water at for rebuilding (I have pics) at Wolvercote north of Oxford. Work was proceeding quite well but the couple apparently split up and the boat was broken up - the bits going to Jem Bates.

The petter engine was fitted whilst in the ownership of Beachamp Lodge and was said to be ex-John Knill's Kenelm (Epsom.). The engine was fitted in just before BL took it to Whistable Harbour.

Paul

Was that the time that Dennis took it out to sea and blew a big end coming back into the Harbour? or was it when he took it out into the Wash?

Please don't Pete, I am retailing what I was told by Oxford boaters at that time so if you have different information please share it.

I am about to pass on an Ovaltine motor, albeit one that wasn't initially commissioned by Wanders.

My account was similar to that of Paul H, with sections of the hull ending up at Jem Bates yard at Puttenham. I wonder what happened to the Petter ?

I think I last saw WILLIAM afloat in June 1988. I had just bought BADSEY and BARNES and passed WILLIAM on the towpath moorings near the main road bridge at Weedon.

Chris - Please can you PM me when you pass on your Small Ricky motor so I can update my records. We have spoke on several occasions, the last time being 17 March 2002 when you were tied near Bathampton Swing Bridge.

• 3 years later...

Thanks

Hi I rembember john stokes he ran the teen club, I lived at the lodge 1965 1972, Last I read was it was at the Alysbury juntion, I think most of it was broken up, Alan suffling.

I remember coming across William stuck on the Coventry canal outside the aggregate works in Nuneaton in 67 or 8 the lads were in the cut trying to push it off the build up of muck that was there. I offered a tow which they gladly accepted, I managed to get them off, but the T stud was bent forward touching the foredeck we boated down to Charity dock were they stopped to presumably have it fixed, as seeing them at a later date it was upright again. Always meant to ask Joe (Gilbert) what he did to fix it, but always forgot,

@ Chris Pink - Which ex Ovaltine motor do you have please..? Grus..?

Thanks

Chris does not post these days, But the answer to your question is yes renamed "Almighty", except that I believe he is now living on a lovely new boat built by his son, and has transferred Grus to someone else

A couple

The memorable sight of William was at the Staffs and Worcs.
first rally arriving lying at 45degrees with the roof packed with uncontrollable youngsters having the time of their lives.

A couple of photos of William trying to get under the sluice gate on the River Nene in flood, after the 1968 IWA rally, We had to empty and remove the water tanks normally located on the roof to acheive it.

1968WilliamRNene2_zpsde7db19e.jpg

1968WilliamRNene_zpsba97baf3.jpg

Edited by David Schweizer