Manual 2 Way 'Diverter' Water Valve

Featured Posts

I'll start a new thread, as I think my previous one on the topic got a bit muddied by side issues….

I'm looking to add a calorifier on a boat not currently having one.

Our current hot water source is a Morco instantaneous gas heater, and the plumbing could hardly be simpler….

Fresh Water Tank in bow ->

Shurflo Pump + Accumulator ->

Cold pipe with flow towards rear of boat, with cold taps tee-ed off from it->

Cold input to Morco ->

Hot water out of Morco ->

Hot pipe flowing towards front of boat, with hot tap feeds tee-ed off of it.

What I'd like to do is…

1) Further split the cold feed, and extend it backwards to also supply calorifier under rear bed

2) Bring a hot feed (with a pressure relief valve) forward from calorifier

3) Introduce a manual change-over valve of some description, such that I can either take hot water from calorifier (when available), or revert to Morco, (when no hot water in tank). I'm happy to make this a manual process, with no automation.

(The layout of the boat would make it sensible that it were located near the Morco, which is in the bathroom anyway).

This seems sound to my novice brain. Both the calorifier and the Morco would have a permanent cold feed, but the changeover valve (fed by the OUTLETs of each) would ensure that water was only drawn one way at any given time.

By my thinking whichever source is NOT in use will sit there in exactly the same way as if it were the sole source, but all the hot taps were turned off, (the way it would be 99% of the time anyway).

So the questions…

Firstly, is there anything I've missed ? Is this a sound approach, or are there any likely complications.

Secondly, how do I source a suitable valve. It simply needs to have 3 ports, one of which will connect as an "either/or" to one of the other two. The port that is not in use at any time needs to be closed off. It doesn't sound like a difficult requirement, but a quick trawl around the web didn't reveal anything obvious, or at least not from standard outlets like 'Plumbworld' or 'Screwfix'.

Obviously 240 volt operated valves are commonplace in central heating systems, but I just want something with a knob or handle on, ideally that can be mounted up fairly neatly.

Two simple stop valves could be used - turn one off, and the other on, but that does allow scope for someone to leave both open, which isn't likely to work well, so I'd rather avoid that, if I can….

Any ideas please.

We've done basicaly exactly the same thing. Only we switched the cold feeds. Rather than the hot side.

You may be able to get 3-way ball valves that do what you want, however we simple have two ball valve, and just operate both at the same time (open one, close the other, and visaversa)

Daniel

Alan,

Found what you need.

Three way valve

Seriously they are available mail order from Chandlery.net

If you think I can fit this one...

Three way valve

yoiu really have no idea how big my bathroom is :(

Seriously though (again!), do you mean this type of thing on Chandlery.net

Link to Vetus Brass Ball Valve G1/2 3 Way KRA1/2L

It might do, I agree.

Just that I wish these sites gave fuller descriptions, pictures etc, to let you know what exactly they are.

(Actually there IS a picture of one on the Vetus site, but I'm not sure I understand what tappings they come with, exactly ?)

I'll start a new thread, as I think my previous one on the topic got a bit muddied by side issues….

I'm looking to add a calorifier on a boat not currently having one.

Our current hot water source is a Morco instantaneous gas heater, and the plumbing could hardly be simpler….

Fresh Water Tank in bow ->

Shurflo Pump + Accumulator ->

Cold pipe with flow towards rear of boat, with cold taps tee-ed off from it->

Cold input to Morco ->

Hot water out of Morco ->

Hot pipe flowing towards front of boat, with hot tap feeds tee-ed off of it.

What I'd like to do is…

1) Further split the cold feed, and extend it backwards to also supply calorifier under rear bed

2) Bring a hot feed (with a pressure relief valve) forward from calorifier

3) Introduce a manual change-over valve of some description, such that I can either take hot water from calorifier (when available), or revert to Morco, (when no hot water in tank). I'm happy to make this a manual process, with no automation.

(The layout of the boat would make it sensible that it were located near the Morco, which is in the bathroom anyway).

This seems sound to my novice brain. Both the calorifier and the Morco would have a permanent cold feed, but the changeover valve (fed by the OUTLETs of each) would ensure that water was only drawn one way at any given time.

By my thinking whichever source is NOT in use will sit there in exactly the same way as if it were the sole source, but all the hot taps were turned off, (the way it would be 99% of the time anyway).

So the questions…

Firstly, is there anything I've missed ? Is this a sound approach, or are there any likely complications.

Secondly, how do I source a suitable valve. It simply needs to have 3 ports, one of which will connect as an "either/or" to one of the other two. The port that is not in use at any time needs to be closed off. It doesn't sound like a difficult requirement, but a quick trawl around the web didn't reveal anything obvious, or at least not from standard outlets like 'Plumbworld' or 'Screwfix'.

Obviously 240 volt operated valves are commonplace in central heating systems, but I just want something with a knob or handle on, ideally that can be mounted up fairly neatly.

Two simple stop valves could be used - turn one off, and the other on, but that does allow scope for someone to leave both open, which isn't likely to work well, so I'd rather avoid that, if I can….

Any ideas please.

Just had a thought, haven't trawled through the plumbing catalogues myself, but could you use a non-thermostatic shower mixer tap for the purpose? One of the ones that turns one way for hot, the other way for cold, and has an outlet for a pipe to the shower head.

Whale (pumps) do a 3 way valve, around £40. But it is designed for toilet and bilge water, so not sure if it would be suitable for hot water..... maybe depends how hot it is.

Near the bottom of this page whale 3- way diverter valve

Ian

Thanks Ian,

However, with a choice of 25mm or 38mm ports, I think it's quite a bit bigger than I was hoping for.

Really looking for something easy to plumb into either copper or plastic 15mm pipe - or easy to adapt to it, (say with 1/2" BSP to Hep2O type dapators).

Alan

Just had a thought, haven't trawled through the plumbing catalogues myself, but could you use a non-thermostatic shower mixer tap for the purpose? One of the ones that turns one way for hot, the other way for cold, and has an outlet for a pipe to the shower head.

Yes it's possible, I guess, although don't they usually also incorporate the "on/off" and "flow rate" options, with that of "changeover/mixer", all on the one lever, which moves in multiple directions ?

I'll have a look, though ....

Alan

Alan , just seen some 3 way valves that may do what you want in my ASAP Supplies catalogue ,they have website too. I think the L port one is the kind of one you are after , Dave

• 15 years later...

I have a similar setup using an "L Port" valve, many suppliers but usually 1/2 inch BSP-F so you will need fittings to suit,

https://www.allvalves.co.uk/valve-actuator/1-2-brass-ball-valve-3-way-l-port-rb-bsp-lever-op

https://www.directwatertanks.co.uk/1-2-bsp-female-3-way-l-port-ball-valve

and in stainless somewhat cheaper than RS

https://www.swiss-fittings.com/3-way-ball-valve-t-port-a-730-tt-1595?___store=en&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9sK89Ym37wIVO4BQBh31bQiAEAQYByABEgJ4hPD_BwE

avoid "Reduced Bore" valves.

springy