Isuzu panel tacho and engine hour count...

Featured Posts

If the standard Isuzu offering is known to fail regularly and costs an arm and a leg, then why not replace with one from an alternate manufacturer ?

There is nothing special about an Isuzu - any alternator sensing tacho/hourmeter should be a viable replacement, as long as it fits the same hole, (which are generally a standrad size too.....)

Interesting - what about the wiring though??

This might not be quite the same problem you've got, but mine did this once when I switched it off by turning the key before pressing the stop button. Next time I started it, neither the tacho nor the counter worked. Once I stopped it properly, it started working again.

Cheers - I'll freely admit to occasionally turning the key before pressing stop button on the odd occasion. I've run the engine and stopped it correctly many times though since the problem started.

Thanks though.

A friend of mine got a replacement from ASAP - he phoned them with engine/alternator details etc and they knew what he needed. I don't recall him having any problems fitting the replacement but do remember him saying it was cheaper - he was also told it would last longer than the original (less than 1000 hours).

His looks like this one.

http://www.asap-supp...uro-black-32831

A friend of mine got a replacement from ASAP - he phoned them with engine/alternator details etc and they knew what he needed. I don't recall him having any problems fitting the replacement but do remember him saying it was cheaper - he was also told it would last longer than the original (less than 1000 hours).

His looks like this one.

Bookmarked cheers..

Many moons ago Gibbo posted instructions how to sort this out. To summarise; take it apart carefully, clean the connections to the back of the tacho with isopropyl alcohol then re-assemble.

Did it once; it worked and the hours counter was sound; it happened again and I'm happy that if I service the engine every 3 or 4 months I'll still be within serviceable use and if I need to the engine hours counter is still working. Every once in a while, if I watch it; I'm sure it is.

Easy!

My hours counter stopped working (displaying) last summer. At the time I thought "that's odd", but I've had connectors fall off the back off the panel before, so I wasn't particularly bothered and put it in the "thing's to do when I've got time" part of my brain (just above my arse). Anyhow: next time I looked - it was working again. So the answer can also be "nothing is not done".

No problem is so big that if you ignore it it won't go away.

I have the same configuration and My Tach and meter failed again today. When I play with the the ignition switch it all comes back on. I think there is a Second connection from the back of the Ignition Switch to the Tacho so your problem could be fixed with either electrolube or a wire check on the back of the switch.

Bob B

It will be the same.....

They have.....

A negative / earth

A 12v positive input

A connection to the "W" terminal on your Alternator

Nothing complicated at all

His looks like this one.

I have this instrument, but must admit that I'm on my second one, after the initial Faria one from ASAP supplies mysteriously had it's hour counter jump forward massively after less than 50 hours use.

The replacement is now at nearly 600 hours, and still OK, (touch wood!).

I have just however had a Faria oil pressure gauge sensor bought at the same time fail, and try dumping my engine oil. I'm not that convinced therefore at the quality of Faria products, and think I would avoid in future. (Perhaps I've just been unlucky ?).

My tacho did exactly the same thing I traced the W connection from the Alternator and that was fine so I concluded that its an internal fault with the tacho. Being too mean to buy a new one I just got an hour meter off e-bay for less than a tenner and judge engine speed by ear. done me fine for the last 2 years.

Top Cat (revs unknown)

Will do

I 'think' though the common issue is the counter works but doesn't display - mine is displaying but the digits are not advancing.

Which is yours doing -

The more I think about it and read the two issues I have must be connected. (or rather not!!)

Had the wildly flickering tacho about a year ago. It calmed down after about an hour and was diagnosed as condensation inside the panel. Our panel, even though it has a lockable steel cover on the outside of the boat, is prone to condensation getting in which perhaps is a failure of the Isuzu design, despite the bits behind the panel being inside the boat in a dry and warm area. Also have had the hour counter illuminating but not counting. Traced to the thin wire on the back of the leisure battery alt, the one on the right looking to the bow on the 'Suzi', that despite apperaing to be attached was holding on by one thread of the thin multi stranded wire. New clip fitted and all worked fine. The couter works on 'engine hours run' irrespective of the revs used. Would also sgree that an engine hour counter is more important that the tacho. Easy to know what your revs are by the engine noise.

• 7 months later...

Sorry if this is an old thread, but I have an Isuzu instrument panel also, and am a little confused about how it counts hours...(my oil pressure reads max permanently and the temp gauge reads nothing!)

We were told that the engine had 125 hours on it at purchase, but the counter actually reads 1252.3 - I thought, bugger, that's a much higher figure, but I'm acceptant of it now and can't do anything about it anyway having bought the boat.

What confused me more is that I ran the engine for an hour whilst trying to get the 12V electrics working (flat battery I had thought as all light switches were on) and the counter moved to 1262.3 which doesn't seem to make sense as it's a increase of 10, not 1?? Any ideas?

I did suss the battery issue...We had 3 new leisure batteries last week and as the inverter ran the 240V perfectly even without hook up I figured it must be a broken connection to the 12V circuitry from the battery - actually, the battery cut off had not been reconnected so the circuit was broken..!! Doh...!!

I'm thinking doing the same- possibly adding a tacho too of the same diameter to fit the panel ...

Cheers

I took one of these apart this with another guy I met. This rev counter is made by Siemens and is fitted to a lot of makers panel.

I was interested because it is the same as my Barrus one and my hour meter sometimes fails although up to now it has always started again.

Inside the clock there is a section on the electronics panel for the hour meter, it is very flimsy and has a plug attached (I think) this bit showed signs of overheating.

It couldn't be repaired and even the rev counter bit was damaged trying to clean it.

I kept in touch and tried to find a replacement for him - it is available but at almost £200. He eventually bought a cheaper version but obviously doesn't match his other meters.

Alex

Thanks for the replies, it's weird how it counts up at 10x the actual amount of hours that is run up, but with all the reports stating the flimsiness and unreliability of these gauges, I think a replacement is in order. The temp/oil gauges are likely to go too as they are failing I think.