SmartBank Advanced installation

MikeHing

Featured Posts

Just fitted a SmartGauge - no problems.

Now about to fit the SmartBank Advanced battery control & relay. Is this relay usually fitted on the battery side or the load side of the battery isolator switches? The relay is being used to parallel a start battert (batt 2) and a bank of three domestic batteries (batt 1)

I also currently have a Sterling 3 stage battery charger fitted which charges both the engine & domestic batteries via separate cables from the charger to the individual battery banks. These cables are wired to the battery side of the isolator switches so that the batteries will charge when all circuits are switched off. If the Smartbank relay is fitted on the battery side of the isolator switches then it would seem correct to then feed a single cable from the battery charger to the relay and let Smartbank sort out whether the batteries should be paralled and hence both charged.

If, however, the relay is fitted on the load side of the battery isolators then the charger would need to be left connected as it is at present, ie separate leads to both battery banks.

Any advise on this please?

I would have battery isolators to do just that - completely isolate batteries. This does go against common practice though especially when wiring battery chargers so you would need to do such with your eyes open to the consequences. The Sterling charger you mention has open circuit protection anyway.

In the case of your VSR assuming that's what it is, I would still wire it downstream of battery isolators. If it fails you have a simple & quick means of isolation.

See wiring of my nb below

Wiring.jpg

Edited by richardhula

Just fitted a SmartGauge - no problems.

Now about to fit the SmartBank Advanced battery control & relay. Is this relay usually fitted on the battery side or the load side of the battery isolator switches? The relay is being used to parallel a start battert (batt 2) and a bank of three domestic batteries (batt 1)

I also currently have a Sterling 3 stage battery charger fitted which charges both the engine & domestic batteries via separate cables from the charger to the individual battery banks. These cables are wired to the battery side of the isolator switches so that the batteries will charge when all circuits are switched off. If the Smartbank relay is fitted on the battery side of the isolator switches then it would seem correct to then feed a single cable from the battery charger to the relay and let Smartbank sort out whether the batteries should be paralled and hence both charged.

If, however, the relay is fitted on the load side of the battery isolators then the charger would need to be left connected as it is at present, ie separate leads to both battery banks.

Any advise on this please?

Ask Gibbo - he designed it.

OK,I have installed the relay after the battery isolator switches and all seems to work fine although when the relay is energised and the contacts are closed, the coil sings/buzzes. Is this normal? I was surprised to hear this assuming the Smartbank puts out a DC energising voltage to the coil.

Putting the paralleling relay on differenbt sides of the isolator switches has pros and cons both ways.

If you put them on the battery side, then you can't isolate the split charge system using the isolator switches.

If you put them on the load side of the switches, you can't isolate (say) the domestic system if you still have a charger connected (because the relay will be energised and thus powering the section you think you have switched off).

As long as you are aware of the issues it doesn't really make any difference where it goes.

As for the relay buzzing:-

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/pdfs/technical/sb_ps_defeat.pdf

Edited by Gibbo

Putting the paralleling relay on differenbt sides of the isolator switches has pros and cons both ways.

If you put them on the battery side, then you can't isolate the split charge system using the isolator switches.

If you put them on the load side of the switches, you can't isolate (say) the domestic system if you still have a charger connected (because the relay will be energised and thus powering the section you think you have switched off).

As long as you are aware of the issues it doesn't really make any difference where it goes.

As for the relay buzzing:-

http://www.smartgaug...b_ps_defeat.pdf

Can you install a second (series) set of isolators for each line and put it in between to gain the best of both worlds or would that introduce other problems ?

Nick

Can you install a second (series) set of isolators for each line and put it in between to gain the best of both worlds or would that introduce other problems ?

Nick

It might seem like an ideal solution but each connection has a minute resistance Now consider how many connections between battery & device its powering. A battery isolator accounts for four to start with (the two connections plus two contacts within switch). They all add up & can account for a small but relevant volt drop.

KISS principle ;)

Edited by richardhula

You could but I think it's better to simply be aware of the issues and work round them rather than introducing yet more losses.

I would have battery isolators to do just that - completely isolate batteries. This does go against common practice though especially when wiring battery chargers so you would need to do such with your eyes open to the consequences. The Sterling charger you mention has open circuit protection anyway.

In the case of your VSR assuming that's what it is, I would still wire it downstream of battery isolators. If it fails you have a simple & quick means of isolation.

See wiring of my nb below

Wiring.jpg

It is interesting to note that this incorporates precisely the utilisation of engine alternator spare capacity through a diode we concluded in the alternator paralleling thread.

It is interesting to note that this incorporates precisely the utilisation of engine alternator spare capacity through a diode we concluded in the alternator paralleling thread.

Yes & the Sterling alternator booster sensing directly on bowthruster batteries offsets volt drop on diode splitter.