Blasting and blacking

John Barnet

Featured Posts

Hello

I need to remove 20 years of hull tar blacking and start afresh. The boat is in the Midlands, can anyone recommend someone for the job.

thanks

Hi I had a problem with my blacking and someone suggested needle gunning it off - Stockton Dry Dock Co can do this(Stockton Warks GU) (01926814441, E.mail Graeme graeme@stockton-dry-dock-company.co.uk). Not sure where you are in relation - might be other closer yards that could do the same?

Industry Narrowboats at Stretton Aqueduct on the Shroppie will crane out, arrange a shotblaster and do blacking - or you can do DIY blacking.

If that sounds like the right area, I'll dig out the phone number for you.

Hi I had a problem with my blacking and someone suggested needle gunning it off - Stockton Dry Dock Co can do this(Stockton Warks GU) (01926814441, E.mail Graeme graeme@stockton-dry-dock-company.co.uk). Not sure where you are in relation - might be other closer yards that could do the same?

Needle guns are good for small inaccessible areas such as internal corners, but not for removing blacking from the outside of an entire hull. I've also seen needle guns go through corroded steel that's got a bit thin so only use them on sound steel.

Hello

I need to remove 20 years of hull tar blacking and start afresh. The boat is in the Midlands, can anyone recommend someone for the job.

thanks

I am assuming this is above the water line and not below.

If it is below the water line then lucky you and keep it on my blacking seems to last two years max before it starts to fall off.

Good look

I am assuming this is above the water line and not below.

If it is below the water line then lucky you and keep it on my blacking seems to last two years max before it starts to fall off.

Good look

Thanks All

Will Speak to Stockton as not too far -Not sure about the needle gun.

20 years does give a lot of cover, unfortuately its now so thick its starting to blister. Not so good.

Shropies a bit too far but will consider at a push

once again thanks for the relpys

Thanks All

Will Speak to Stockton as not too far -Not sure about the needle gun.

20 years does give a lot of cover, unfortuately its now so thick its starting to blister. Not so good.

Shropies a bit too far but will consider at a push

once again thanks for the relpys

Needle gun will clog up if used extensively on tar or bitumen, plus it's a tedious job for a whole boat and there are hand vibration issues using it for long periods, but it can be done.

Consider a powerful water pressure washer, a powerful industrial washer with rotary nozzle will get rid of any old paint which isn't adhering properly. Alternatively there are very high pressure systems which will get the whole thing back to bare metal without the mess of grit blasting, but you'd probably have to get contractors in to do that.

Tim

Hi I had a problem with my blacking and someone suggested needle gunning it off - Stockton Dry Dock Co can do this(Stockton Warks GU) (01926814441, E.mail Graeme graeme@stockton-dry-dock-company.co.uk).

WFBCo (now Stockton Dry Dock Co.) used to shot blast boats in a shed at the extreme end of Kayes Arm. It'd be worth giving Graeme a ring to see if they still do it.

Needle gun will clog up if used extensively on tar or bitumen, plus it's a tedious job for a whole boat and there are hand vibration issues using it for long periods, but it can be done.

Consider a powerful water pressure washer, a powerful industrial washer with rotary nozzle will get rid of any old paint which isn't adhering properly. Alternatively there are very high pressure systems which will get the whole thing back to bare metal without the mess of grit blasting, but you'd probably have to get contractors in to do that.

Tim

We used a mooring spike to chip off much of old (tar) blacking, followed up with a wire brush on an angle grinder to clean up Fulbourne's hull last year.

29327_401190622340_716697340_4881367_4947904_n.jpg29327_401190472340_716697340_4881352_3560523_n.jpg

David