HDPE - suitable material for hatch runners ?

Featured Posts

I'm looking to replace the well-rotten hardwood runners of a sliding roof on a 1970's GRP-topped narrowboat. The two runners are 30 x 10 mm in section and 2.4 metres long. I was thinking that using HDPE might be a maintenance-free solution and self-lubricating too, making sliding the roof a lot easier. I'm not sure though whether or not it would be tough enough. Has anyone got any experience of using HDPE for this sort of application ? Also, does anyone know of any plastics suppliers that would supply a small order for two runners in HDPE ?

(Edited for fat fingers)

Edited by Graham!

Graham,

I checked and the correct material is UHMW-PE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). A popular brand name is TIVAR which is used to line conveyor chutes.

Paul

Just done ours (last week)so I don't know if it's going to last. Working fine at the moment though.

I put 2mm thick strip onto steel (using it instead of brass) fixing it with double sided "gel" automotive tape

Got the plastic from Direct plastics online.co.uk Had to buy a 500mm wide sheet to get the length but it only cost about £12, cuts easy with a sharp stanley knife.

Regards

Just done ours (last week)so I don't know if it's going to last. Working fine at the moment though.

I put 2mm thick strip onto steel (using it instead of brass) fixing it with double sided "gel" automotive tape

Got the plastic from Direct plastics online.co.uk Had to buy a 500mm wide sheet to get the length but it only cost about £12, cuts easy with a sharp stanley knife.

Regards

Useful looking link, thanks.

Regards

Just found this thread. I was going to try this material for my hatch renovation, but was put off as Direct Plastics say that UHMWPE and HDPE have poor bonding properties. Can you specify what "gel" adhesive you used, as I don't know what these products are.

Thanks

Just found this thread. I was going to try this material for my hatch renovation, but was put off as Direct Plastics say that UHMWPE and HDPE have poor bonding properties. Can you specify what "gel" adhesive you used, as I don't know what these products are.

Thanks

The runners I'm looking to replace were drilled through, so I'm planning to do the same for the replacements. As its a sliding roof section I'm working with, the lighter gauge materials suggested by others are not really suited, but 10mm sheet UHMWPE or HDPE look spot on. It's just the price of the UHMWPE that's making me wince. I'm thinking that the HDPE will probably do the job though.

Edited by Graham!

Thanks

I bought the tape from "more-than tape" on Ebay.

"DOUBLE SIDED VHB GEL TAPE 12mm x 5mtr STRONG ADHESIVE"

As I said in the previous post I only did it last week so I cannot say it has worked, but so far so good.

The adhesive bit that is left after peeling off the backing is about 2mm thick and soft so I am hoping it will "fill" any imperfections/holes in the metal. When you think about the stresses involved in the application it should not have too much stress put on it (I hope)

The job cost aprox. £25 so (when compared to the price of brass) it's not too big a gamble.

Regards

The runners I'm looking to replace were drilled through, so I'm planning to do the same for the replacements. As its a sliding roof section I'm working with, the lighter gauge materials suggested by others are not really suited, but 10mm sheet UHMWPE or HDPE look spot on. It's just the price of the UHMWPE that's making me wince. I'm thinking that the HDPE will probably do the job though.

Graham,

Mine are UHMWPE 10mm thick, drilled and fixed with stainless csk screws. Looks like it will last forever.

Paul