Guy Martin in Reckless

Darren72

Featured Posts

I know I have.

- Chucked a Triumph Tiger down the road and broke my ankle.

EDIT: that was in 1973

Tis part of biking. I was 17 when the Yam LC250/350 and Suzi X7 came out. I lost count of the number of breaks I had :)

I started when I was 34 and had a few mishaps, when I started driving at 17 it was absolutely essential that I overtook anything in front of me.

Imagine if you'd combined both those :)

Just about to go out on mine today when a neighbour knocked on the door white as a sheet. apparently his son had met up with some "biker forum" friends and headed for Devils Bridge, Sedburgh way. He piled the bike up on a notoriuosly tight approach to a narrow bridge, I knew where he would be and was proved correct. Brought him back in the van a round trip of 120 miles. Strangley the attending ambulance didnt take him to hospital even though he couldnt stand on his ankle and he had also had a hard head knock, is this normal today?

Imagine if you'd combined both those :)

:::thinks back to when he was 23 on his shiny new Suzy GS1000, passing everything:::

Tony ;)

Strangley the attending ambulance didnt take him to hospital even though he couldnt stand on his ankle and he had also had a hard head knock, is this normal today?

I'm shocked if it is :(

:::thinks back to when he was 23 on his shiny new Suzy GS1000, passing everything:::

Biking was so much fun in the days of stupidity, before the days of H&S and, perhaps more importantly, before any one gave a f&ck :)

Lamp posts, pedestrians, old ladies out for a stroll... :lol:

Oh yeah, they all had to get out of the way...

I recall doing a pretty thorough demolition job on a rather pretty picket fence on the side of a long wide right-hander. Stupid place for a fence ;)

Biking was so much fun in the days of stupidity, before the days of H&S and, perhaps more importantly, before any one gave a f&ck :)

Didn't have to wear a helmet when I started biking... those were the days... watering eyes and flies stuck to your teeth...

Tony

Well I'm still learning, having passed my test in 05.

But today I got a foot down for the first time - I'm not sure how I did it because I couldn't repeat it and I was doing a lot of twisties

Well I'm still learning, having passed my test in 05.

But today I got a foot down for the first time - I'm not sure how I did it because I couldn't repeat it and I was doing a lot of twisties

Bazza, I know we've had some run-ins on here and you don't like me but I'll give you one piece of advice for biking these days. It's simple, go and do the Police supervised/approved advanced riding course. Until you've done it, you're a learner, as soon as you finish it, you can ride. Honest.

It's not about being clever, or a maniac, it's about learning cruciual things like counter-steering and when the use which brake etc.

Those Police Bike cops can seriously ride their machines.

Bazza, I know we've had some run-ins on here and you don't like me but I'll give you one piece of advice for biking these days. It's simple, go and do the Police supervised/approved advanced riding course. Until you've done it, you're a learner, as soon as you finish it, you can ride. Honest.

It's not about being clever, or a maniac, it's about learning cruciual things like counter-steering and when the use which brake etc.

And I thought every biker was the fastest and smoothest and safest in the known universe, or at least thats what all the ones Ive come into contact with would have you believe. :D

I fuck&n love that piccie. Wouldn't you just love one of those

Once saw a bobber with a single cylinder lister i it. Starting handle was held on seat with an elastic leg. The guy chuffed of down Westgate Hill in Newcastle to rapturous applause. :D

Please don't put ideas in my head...

go on you know you want to

Its not a bad thought Gibbo - and one my brother is taking up. He passed his test a few months after me but since then he has crashed several times. He bought a Bonnie two weeks ago and I think he wants to keep it so he's going to up his skills.

I tend to be a cautious rider - though I do have cheek nipping moments from time to time. For instance I've never taken my bike over the ton - don't see the need. I look for smoothness rather than speed (something taught me when I was learning to drive a fire engine). For me smoothness comes with looking and planning ahead, road positioning and gear selection.

I'm not saying I don't need the police riders course - What I am saying is the driving skills I learned in the fire service still hold me in good stead and for now I am happy with that. I'd not dismiss the police riders course though. I reckon I'll see how my brother gets on with his course

Reading back on my post I wonder if I'm a bit complacent because I do have the odd cheek nipper - hmmmm.........

The best single piece of advice that I learned early on was:

"Best to enter a corner slowly and come out fast than to enter it fast and come out slowly, or not at all"

The trouble is I drive cars the same way, and accelerating through bends doesn't make for the most comfortable passenger ride, as SWMBO keeps reminding me ;)

Tony

Bazza, I know we've had some run-ins on here and you don't like me

I read this earlier and it's been on my mind since - I don't think you like PMs so I'd like to say this anyway.

It's not true that I don't like you Gibbo - I don't know you because we've never met.

I don't like some of the things you say on here its true - but thats because we're different, have different ways of looking at life.

• Greenie 1