Guy Martin in Reckless

Darren72

Featured Posts

Sorry but no, the number of driven wheels has nothing to do with the risk of a vehicle being involved in the causation of an accident..

Sortof.

I was completely against big 4x4s until the snow came two years running and my wife said "I'm buying a Jeep and you're coming with me". Now I'm pretty much converted. The old Jeep is big, comfortable is very relaxing to drive. But you have to drive it slowly, especially on narrow country roads. I have no problem with that, I see it as the compromise you make in order to be able to drive on/off road as the conditions dictate. I now LIKE wafting along in an automatic whereas I was always thrashing around in my little 3 Series before.

What makes me shake my head now is the newer breed of 4x4s which have 3-400bhp and road tyres. What is the point? If you can afford a Porsche Cayenne S or a Range Rover Sport then surely you'd actually be better off with a Shogun/Cherokee/Defender and a 5erBMW/AudiA6/Insignia/Mondeo instead?

Sortof.

I was completely against big 4x4s until the snow came two years running and my wife said "I'm buying a Jeep and you're coming with me". Now I'm pretty much converted. The old Jeep is big, comfortable is very relaxing to drive. But you have to drive it slowly, especially on narrow country roads. I have no problem with that, I see it as the compromise you make in order to be able to drive on/off road as the conditions dictate. I now LIKE wafting along in an automatic whereas I was always thrashing around in my little 3 Series before.

What makes me shake my head now is the newer breed of 4x4s which have 3-400bhp and road tyres. What is the point? If you can afford a Porsche Cayenne S or a Range Rover Sport then surely you'd actually be better off with a Shogun/Cherokee/Defender and a 5erBMW/AudiA6/Insignia/Mondeo instead?

Nothing wrong with 4x4s intrinsically, just some of the people who drive them, plus some of the vehicles seem to be designed to appeal to exactly those people...

Tim

• Greenie 1

Nothing wrong with 4x4s intrinsically, just some of the people who drive them, plus some of the vehicles seem to be designed to appeal to exactly those people...

Tim

well put!

Tim

i think you mean MOST! well certainly round here they are a menace to society! always speeding, overtaking and generally driving like .......s

i think you mean MOST! well certainly round here they are a menace to society! always speeding, overtaking and generally driving like .......s

Sorry, but the problem is like many things in life, you only notice the bad ones. The good 4X4 drivers aren't noticed. Same when people who aren't bikers talk about "insane bikers." They have reason to notice the insane ones, but good riders are invisible (which is probably why people in rot boxes knock them off.)

As an aside, it was "Zodiac drivers" who were scorned when I was a kid. My late dad used to curse them saying, "They think they own the $%^&* road," etc. Some things never change.

Sorry, but the problem is like many things in life, you only notice the bad ones. The good 4X4 drivers aren't noticed. Same when people who aren't bikers talk about "insane bikers." They have reason to notice the insane ones, but good riders are invisible (which is probably why people in rot boxes knock them off.)

As an aside, it was "Zodiac drivers" who were scorned when I was a kid. My late dad used to curse them saying, "They think they own the $%^&* road," etc. Some things never change.

Zodiac, Zodiac....Surely you meet Zepher 6's !!!!

Can't remember how much it use to cost to put a tiger in your tank way back then

,but still moaned about the price of petrol .

Wasn't the Zepher a 4 cylinder,and the zodiac the 6 cylinder?

course I had the vauxhal viscount,rust everywhere!!! Lol

Col

Edited by bigcol

Can't remember how much it use to cost to put a tiger in your tank way back then

Wasn't the Zepha a 4 cylinder,and the zodiac the 6 cylinder?

Col

Dunno for certain, but I had a rover 3 litre then, cost a fortune in beer tokens

Col

I don't know about other models but the Mk3 style came in Zephyr 4, Zephyr 6 and Zodiac (6 cyl.) The Zodiac had twin headlights. They were all straight engines IIRC. I had a Mk 3 Zodiac cost me 20 quid, and MOT'd OK after new brake pipes etc. The straight six looked like a wagon engine, sounded gorgeous and the boot was huge. The Ford towbar that came with it was ridiculously over-engineered, being suitable for a wagon. A real gas guzzler, it had lowered itself over the years and looked brilliant in its metallic Miami Blue. Like many cars of that era, they were prone to rust.

• 1 month later...

... and its "goodnight" from him ...

After hit BBC1 show Guy Martin wants to focus on his sport This is Grimsby

Snapshot2011-05-2810-34-59.jpg

GO WITH THE FLOW: More than four million viewers followed Guy's quirky quest to restore an old narrow boat.

MOTORCYCLE racer, TV personality and film star Guy Martin wishes he had never made his hit BBC One television series. The Kirmington rider has his sights set on a maiden race victory at the prestigious Isle Of Man TT over the next two weeks (first race – Saturday, June 4), having previously made the podium at the event on nine occasions. But it was his six-part TV series, The Boat That Guy Built, which brought the 29-year-old to wider public attention earlier this year. More than four million viewers followed his quirky quest to restore an old narrow boat and most didn't even know he races bikes at 200mph in his other life. But the lorry mechanic insists he is now determined to concentrate on what he does best – fixing trucks and racing bikes.

He told the Telegraph: "I wish I'd never done it. It got in the way of my work more than anything and that's exactly what I didn't want. Work has to come in front of everything, it pays for everything else. "It was a lot of time out of work and because of that I had to change job. "I say I wish I'd never done it, but you've got to regret what you've done and not what you haven't. I've done it, but I wouldn't do anything like that again." Revealing that the BBC have been touch about commissioning more television work, Martin said: "They've asked me to do a fair bit of stuff, but you've got to look at the big picture. "They can offer you 'squillions' of pounds to do these things, but that's not what I do. I'm a truck mechanic; I mend lorries. "They may think they can just talk money to you, but it's not all about money. You've got to be happy at work. "In that line of work you'll earn a fortune doing it, but there's no job satisfaction. "I like finishing a day's work with a bit of pride, but doing stuff like that, you haven't achieved anything."

Guy revealed that he didn't watch any of the series – made with good friend and fellow engineering enthusiast Mark Davies – when it was aired prime-time in March and April. "The whole thing scares the hell out of me really," he said. "I'd rather have been under a lorry or doing something where you achieve something at the end of the day. "I fix trucks and race motorbikes and mountain bikes, that's what I do." The release of film TT3D: Closer To The Edge last month, has further raised Martin's profile. The documentary feature, looking at motorcycle road racing's most famous event, focused heavily on the rider and his quest for glory. "With the film, I've had to make trips down to London and do a load of promotional stuff with them down there," he said. "Again, it's another box ticked, but when I left school I never thought I'd be working in the movie industry or for the BBC. "It was a bit different because it was a documentary. They just came in and filmed me doing a bit of work and I had to take a week off to do some bits later on, but that was it. "Regardless, it gets in the way and muddies the waters." Ahead of his eighth tilt at the iconic races, the daredevil is determined to put all the media attention behind him and finally end his TT drought. He said: "I ride motorbikes, I do TV work and I mend trucks, and they've all been separate and not one gets in the way of the other, but the TV has started to get in the way of both of the others – and that's why I'm not going to do it anymore. "It has got in the way and the damage is done now, so I've just got to get over there and bury my head in the sand."

Edited by Josher

He might seem mad, but I reckon that Guy's got his ducks in order. Obviously he's not driven by greed for money and 'fame', like most.

I wish him the very best for his TT ambitions. But I bet, if he survives, he'll be back boating again sometime. Once in the blood....

Tone

Col

My first car was a Triumph Hearld 13/60, 'F' Reg and only three years old.

Petrol stations were attendant served mostly then, I used to pull onto the forecourt and say to the chap/lass, (as cost used to differ quite alot back in the olden days), "3 gallons or a quids worth please".

A bit dearer now. I should say the tax is, not the petrol......

Martyn

Col

Back in the day the 4cyl was a Consul the 6cy was a Zepher & the deluxe version was a Zepher Zodiac