Guy Martin in Reckless

Darren72

Featured Posts

Does anyone know where he moors his boat? What do you think of the programme so far?

I somehow don't think he will go anywhere near a narrowboat again. I haven't watched this weeks episode yet but I notice he has already lost interest in steering it and has put Mavis at the tiller.

There is a great long thread somewhere where people say what they think about the programme.

Does anyone know where he moors his boat? What do you think of the programme so far?

Reckless is at Streethay Wharf on the Coventry Canal. I was told that the tv people actually own it so we may see a second series. I like the program. What does annoy me is the people that say it's rubbish and then watch every episode.

Whom is Guy Martin? and what is Reckless?

Guy Martin is a wagon driver/motorcycle racer/wannabee Fred Dibnah. Reckless is the NB that he steers (badly) in the TV programme, the name of which has slipped my memory. I don't think it is as bad as some portray it, but as stated elsewhere, i didn't like it when they bumped boats belonging to others, then laughed. Otherwise light hearted TV programme, exploring Britsh industry and canals, not to be taken too seriously.

PB Guy Martin is a decent bloke from Lincolnshire who has been presenting a programme based on a narrowboat but with added industrial heritage content.It is a magazine type programme and light hearted in its aproach.

There has been the usual range of opinions,mostly critical on here [why am I not surprised] and more positive on other forums I frequent.

As a general observation I have been astounded by the comments made on this forum about the natives of Lincolnshire,say the same things in public about an ethnic minority and you would be in deep trouble. A case of "if racism is unacceptable then lets do a bit of regionalism intsead".Bit like the trend for picking on people with ginger hair that was about a while back.

I'm not having a total sense of humour failure over this,we yellowbellies are by and large a cheerfull lot not much given to getting upset about the trivial stuff. Sometimes it is worth stopping to think about the things you so glibly post though,I too was told by my mum "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all"

• Greenie 2

I like the program. What does annoy me is the people that say it's rubbish and then watch every episode.

I watched one program,(the first), then declared it rubbish.

Is that OK, or will you now say that you are annoyed by my not giving the series a chance, by watching a subsequent program, to see if it improved ? :lol:

They dont look anything like as impressive after a big lump of dunnage has gone through them.

Nine of Hearts, Who is Thumper?are yougetting me mixed up with somebody else.I know Dave the Lister is noisy sitting straight on the engine beds and with no innards in the silencer so have i woke you up early one morning on my way somewhere?

PB Guy Martin is a decent bloke from Lincolnshire who has been presenting a programme based on a narrowboat but with added industrial heritage content.It is a magazine type programme and light hearted in its aproach.

There has been the usual range of opinions,mostly critical on here [why am I not surprised] and more positive on other forums I frequent.

As a general observation I have been astounded by the comments made on this forum about the natives of Lincolnshire,say the same things in public about an ethnic minority and you would be in deep trouble. A case of "if racism is unacceptable then lets do a bit of regionalism intsead".Bit like the trend for picking on people with ginger hair that was about a while back.

I'm not having a total sense of humour failure over this,we yellowbellies are by and large a cheerfull lot not much given to getting upset about the trivial stuff. Sometimes it is worth stopping to think about the things you so glibly post though,I too was told by my mum "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all"

Here here say I

Just by way of a coincidence my mate was on his way from Durham to Snetterton race track yesterday evening and stopped off at Wetherby services. Who should be coming out as he went in, none other than Guy Martin. My mate being who he is said hello lad how,s the boat, then proceeded to tell Mr Martin that I was actually building my boat and would he consider giving me a hand to paint it!!! After all my hard work I think I would prefer to do it myself!even though I am a fan of Mr Martin the racer he isnt the "just one of the lads that he portrays in the series but is very much a loner and certainly doesnt rough it in his Aston Martin

Edited by soldthehouse

• 2 weeks later...

No stopping him now ...

Guy Martin takes it to the edge for big screen thrills and spills

Wednesday, 13 April 2011 Belfast Telegraph

They'll be handing out crash helmets with the 3D glasses at cinemas next week. Northern Ireland's favourite biker Guy Martin is set to do for road racing what he's already done for canal boating with another on-screen hit guaranteed to hook a whole new audience along with the converted. Madcap Lincolnshire rider Guy (29) is the undoubted star of a new high-octane fly-on-the-wall film set to go on general release called TT3D: Closer To The Edge, based on his bid to win last year's Isle of Man TT.

His big-screen debut follows the huge ratings success of his off-beat BBC2 series The Boat That Guy Built. Guy also built up a cult following for his weird and wonderful adventures as he and a pal attempt to restore a washed-up old narrowboat to its former glory, using inventions from the Industrial Revolution — cracking fun. But if that was sedate Sunday evening armchair viewing, Closer To The Edge will have cinema-goers on the edge of their seats as he swaps the leisurely canal boat for Superbike speeds up to 200mph between the Isle of Man hedges.

The up close and personal 3D effects add to the thrills of the racing. You could almost be on the bikes. Without giving away the ending, it promises to be a box office smash. The movie premieres at a Belfast Film Festival sellout tonight before going on UK-wide general release next Friday. It's perfectly timed with this June's TT race programme being launched on Tuesday and the clock ticking down to the May 21 North West 200 where Guy will compete for the Moneymore-based TAS Relentless Suzuki team. He was at Kirkistown yesterday testing his bikes for the new season.

Local aces Ryan Farquhar and Michael Dunlop also feature in the film alongside a who's who of road racing star names including Ian Hutchinson, John McGuinness, Bruce Anstey, Cameron Donald, Conor Cummins and Keith Amor, all instantly recognisable to fans here. Yorkshire rider Hutchinson rewrote the TT history books last year, winning all five solo races (another clue to the storyline). But he admits: “I do my talking on the bike . . . Guy's the one who steals the show.” With his trademark sideburns, Guy is the main focus of the film, as he pushes himself to the limit in pursuit of his first TT title.

For those who don't know him, he was born to be a biker . . . a totally off-the-wall, likeable maverick character who talks as fast as the bikes he rides. He even admits: “I'm one short of a six-pack. For anyone who rides in the TT, you've got to say the lights are on but no-one's home.” He's not that daft, though. His new screen career is estimated to have raked in six-figure earnings and he hasn't even raced a bike competitively yet this year. The camera loves him and so do audiences, even if they're not interested in boats or bikes. No wonder the movie-makers zoomed in on Guy. They couldn't go wrong, especially with such a powerful supporting cast as his fellow riders and their machines at full throttle, in spectacular 3D. But producer Richard de Aragues insisted: “You don't just shoot in 3D for effect. The story has to come first. It's got to be a story that moves you, it has to have high emotion and it's got to be fantastically dramatic. This film's got all that with the edge that it's a life or death sport.”

Narrated by Hollywood star Jared Leto, of 30 Seconds To Mars fame, it could be the cinematic hit of the summer. lSee it from Friday, April 22 at Storm, Belfast, Ritz, Cookstown, Omniplexes Lisburn and Dundonald with special previews on Wednesday and Thursday.

Being from Yorkshire I get quite a lot of stick, living down here in the Midlands.

Coming from Doncaster I got quite a bit of stick from yellowbellies, who'd come in, on the bus, looking to augment their gene puddle, with a bit of South Yorkshire blood.

I guess it depends on how thick your skin is, whether or not you get upset by a bit of cross border joshing, or not.

By the way, I thought it was your Aunty that said "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all"....Oh, hang on...you're right....too. ;)