Which Roof Paint

Featured Posts

Hi

I have a roof with four squares of non slip "grit" which does a great job.

I am looking to repaint these squares as they need a freshen up and I am wondering what paint to use to give a good result? The grit has not been painted since new (5 years) and has a good "tread" on it.

Dark grey would be nice if available.

Also in a small number of places on these squares where rust blebs are showing, how is it best to deal with these, for example I could dig the area out, sand down, treat with rust preventer etc but how do I restore the gritted effect?

Many thanks for any help.

Hi

I have a roof with four squares of non slip "grit" which does a great job.

I am looking to repaint these squares as they need a freshen up and I am wondering what paint to use to give a good result? The grit has not been painted since new (5 years) and has a good "tread" on it.

Dark grey would be nice if available.

Also in a small number of places on these squares where rust blebs are showing, how is it best to deal with these, for example I could dig the area out, sand down, treat with rust preventer etc but how do I restore the gritted effect?

Many thanks for any help.

You can use some rough grain sand or bird seed added into the paint for a rough effect.

Actually I suspect what was mean was bird cage sand. I used that on our plank and it worked great. It is basically just kiln dried sand, and a pet shop is a good place to get a small amount.

Edited to add: don't add the sand to the paint, it will just sink to the bottom. Add one coat of paint to the area in question then sprinkle the sand over the wet paint. Let the paint dry then brush off the excess sand, and paint over it.

Edited by john6767

My boat had sanded paint on the roof, but I took it all off and replaced it with standard International Atlantic grey. I didn't like the sand because it made any small scrapes from bikes etc. particularly hard to repaint.

I took it all off and even though it's plain paint, it isn't too slippery. The gunwales were painted, sanded, then painted again though.

You can use some rough grain sand or bird seed added into the paint for a rough effect.

Some of the advice on here is priceless frusty.gif

Well, it would be a real quick way of seeing if you had any damp getting through the paint ;)

:detective: S'cuse me sir, what is that hemp plant doing on your roof?

Tony