Limehouse to Teddington

Evo

Featured Posts

Giving as good as he gets, I'd say.

Tone

disagree - I've never called him an idiot, or refereed to him being on my 'idiots list' - I haven't agreed with a lot of what he has said but I believe I've managed not to insult him, tempting as it is.

disagree - I've never called him an idiot, or refereed to him being on my 'idiots list' - I haven't agreed with a lot of what he has said but I believe I've managed not to insult him, tempting as it is.

Actually I wasn't personally meaning you, Martin, though he might.

From his earlier posts it was obvious that the OP has a colourful vocabulary. Continuous inference that by setting out from Limehouse without a VHF users' certificate would be 'puting others safety at risk and putting your own safety at risk' is such OTT crap that it deserves a slapping down now and again. At most it could result in a small fine if anybody bothers to prosecute... which they won't.

Total ignorance of VHF or not having one for a listening watch'or not bothering to find out protocol at all might be stupid, but that is not the same as not having an expensive piece of paper to wave and feeding the RYA coffers.

The OP does not seem to be incautious (double neg for the pedants) according to my reading of his 'bits'.

I reckon there is a little bit of "I paid out £80-100 for my course, so therefore everyone else should do the same'" going on.

(Sits back with tea and biscuits and waits behind armoured vest..... )

Tone

My original question was answered by Tim Lewis in post #20.

Dont get drawn in Tone...we're in another silly bit.!! :D:D:D

But I love the silly bits! It makes my day!

Tone

Actually I wasn't personally meaning you, Martin, though he might.

From his earlier posts it was obvious that the OP has a colourful vocabulary. Continuous inference that by setting out from Limehouse without a VHF users' certificate would be 'puting others safety at risk and putting your own safety at risk' is such OTT crap that it deserves a slapping down now and again. At most it could result in a small fine if anybody bothers to prosecute... which they won't.

Total ignorance of VHF or not having one for a listening watch'or not bothering to find out protocol at all might be stupid, but that is not the same as not having an expensive piece of paper to wave and feeding the RYA coffers.

The OP does not seem to be incautious (double neg for the pedants) according to my reading of his 'bits'.

I reckon there is a little bit of "I paid out £80-100 for my course, so therefore everyone else should do the same'" going on.

(Sits back with tea and biscuits and waits behind armoured vest..... )

Tone

But I love the silly bits! It makes my day!

Tone

Not really. There is a lot of sensible advice being given and also real life situations that have proven that VHF really is a must if you are going to even consider travelling on busy tidal commercial rivers. This isnt so simple as plodding up and down a canal in the midlands. You may like not adhereing to the rules (and yes that is coming from me), nor navigating in a safe manner but that does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that you should be advising others to do the same. This is purely irresponsible.

Not really. There is a lot of sensible advice being given and also real life situations that have proven that VHF really is a must if you are going to even consider travelling on busy tidal commercial rivers. This isnt so simple as plodding up and down a canal in the midlands. You may like not adhereing to the rules (and yes that is coming from me), nor navigating in a safe manner but that does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that you should be advising others to do the same. This is purely irresponsible.

Incoming!!!

Tone

Pot and kettle spring to mind. Is this the same person who showed total irresponsibility, and lack of thought for the safety of others, in Lincoln a little while ago? :unsure:

Howard

Couldn't these spats be confined to the private message system? - so that readers don't have to strain the actual content out with a sieve. Reading this thread is a bit like looking for a propellor in a soggy mattress!

do you think so?? I would say only in part.

As a direct answer to my question ...yes

Your point "Its your call" didn't have anything backing it up and can apply to anything really...As its turned out it has become the answer , I agree. Took some honest Joe's to pop in and confirm it though.

As a direct answer to my question ...yes

Your point "Its your call" didn't have anything backing it up and can apply to anything really...As its turned out it has become the answer , I agree. Took some honest Joe's to pop in and confirm it though.

It will take an honest Joe to admit to the lockie that you are not carrying VHF nor licenced to use it.

...As its turned out it has become the answer , I agree.

There now that didn't hurt too much did it?? - my answer was based on what I believed I had read in here previously - I could have done a search to confirm it but then so could you.

The 'your call' bit related to it being purely your choice if you chose to disregard the requirements.

Edited by MJG

Phylis..its come to light that they are letting hire boats out there with sod all...!! It doesn't appear that anything like the Gestapo are controlling the use off the lock. I'm not saying thats a good thing, I'm just asking what the deal is...?? You seem to think I'm some sort of desperado law breaker intent on killing everyone around me with my frivolence. Well wind your neck in - you have made your point.

Phylis..its come to light that they are letting hire boats out there with sod all...!! It doesn't appear that anything like the Gestapo are controlling the use off the lock. I'm not saying thats a good thing, I'm just asking what the deal is...?? You seem to think I'm some sort of desperado law breaker intent on killing everyone around me with my frivolence. Well wind your neck in - you have made your point.

Good luck you will need it.

It hasnt been nice knowing you.

Pot and kettle spring to mind. Is this the same person who showed total irresponsibility, and lack of thought for the safety of others, in Lincoln a little while ago? :unsure:

Howard

No.

Ahem...

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/Skipper-fined-speeding-lake/article-1274848-detail/article.html

Tone

The main issue was the wash she was creating

NC makes a lot of wash at 5mph.

This was more of a spectacle.

http://www.narrowboatworld.com/index.php/news-flash/1784-brayford-pool-boat-chase

Eye-witness accounts I have heard reckon you had lost your rag and were doing a lot more than that.

But Howard is right. It does put all your prissy safety first and be strictly legal stuff on here into perspective when it comes to kettles and pots.

Tone

Eye-witness accounts I have heard reckon you had lost your rag and were doing a lot more than that.

Prove it. No one else can or could for that matter. It was only the fact that i pleaded guilty that got me the fine which is now in some doubt over its legallity due to the pools complex ownership, but more on that at a later date.

Prove it. No one else can or could for that matter. It was only the fact that i pleaded guilty that got me the fine which is now in some doubt over its legallity due to the pools complex ownership, but more on that at a later date.

Have a plus for admitting that you had committed an offense. Have a minus for the school-girl remark 'prove it'.

Meanwhile your 'stay squeaky clean' advice is a little tarnished.

Tone

Have a plus for admitting that you had committed an offense. Have a minus for the school-girl remark 'prove it'.

Tone

Not quite, but you will have to wait and see for the outcome ;)

Tone

I think we all might have done stuff wrong in the past, regretted it learnt from it and moved on, doesn't mean we can't have a view about similar stuff.

I'd be very surprised if an old sea dog like you Tone hasn't done something whilst in the RN and around the same age as Rachael that you look back at now and think - 'ooch I wish I hadn't done that..'

- if you haven't you're nothing like the sailors my mother used to know. ;)