Sea Otter

Old Son

Featured Posts

A friend of mine has a Sea Otter 40, Widebeam with Wheelhouse. The boat is 7 years old this year. Apparently there were only 8 of these boats built and only 4 of them had the wheelhouse. He is trying to obtain some drawings of the boat, he has spoken to the boatbuilders and they no longer have the drawings.

Does anybody have any drawings of this model that I could copy or could they point me in the direction of someone that might have them?

Thanks

Aparently he asked the question on the owners club site and got absolutley no response. Thats why he does not hold much hope of finding anything hence my involvement because I knew I would get something from somebody on this site.

How about trying the Patents Office (design).

Don't know if boat builders apply for a patent on their designs, but they may just have the plans on file.

I'd very much doubt that a specific design of canal boat would be patented (even Sea Otter's use of aluminium, hard-chine vee hull and water ballast is hardly 'novel').

I'd guess that the reason the current incarnation of Sea Otter don't have the plans is that they don't own (all of) the intellectual property of the company that built the OP's boat and subsequently went bust a few years ago.

The best bet for finding a set of plans would be to find out who drew them up in the first place, and ask them.

That's a good idea, how would I find out who drew the plans up originally?

The original design for the small ones was done by me and a chap called Andrew Linall. Andrew did all the computer design for the bigger boats and the sea going stuff. If you contact Ray Shepperd (of Sea Otter), he may put you intouch.

Andrew

A friend of mine has a Sea Otter 40, Widebeam with Wheelhouse. The boat is 7 years old this year. Apparently there were only 8 of these boats built and only 4 of them had the wheelhouse. He is trying to obtain some drawings of the boat, he has spoken to the boatbuilders and they no longer have the drawings.

Does anybody have any drawings of this model that I could copy or could they point me in the direction of someone that might have them?

Thanks

Barge / Widebeam??

There is a 15m Sea Otter barge moored 5 yards away!

I'll have a word when they're up and about

It is at least 10' wide maybe more. General.jpg

The one near us is a (replica - hate that) Dutch Barge,

They may still have an idea of who designed the one pictured - I'll ask anyhow.

Thank you for the excellent replies. Members on this forum are so helpful. I have spoken to my friend who is emailing Ray at Sea Otter as I write!! Thank you so much Andrew.

I am fairly sure that Ray and his wife Cindy retired form Sea Otter and now live abroad. The business is now run by Paul Hobson, I believe.

haggis

'Sea Otter is a family business run by 2 brothers Paul Hobson & Anthony Hobson. Who have been with the company for over 9 years and look forward to taking company to new Heights. Tel: 01246 470005'

From their web site.

Our neighbours here could only point you in the direction of Paul.

Good luck