Narrowboat destroyed

Josher

Featured Posts

Some time later a woman arrived at my mooring, with exactly the same story. I told her that the police had said there was nothing they could do, for me, as it was a civil matter.

I hadn't realised that theft was a civil matter. Are you sure the police didn't mean "Go away, we can't be bothered?"

I hadn't realised that theft was a civil matter. Are you sure the police didn't mean "Go away, we can't be bothered?"

They said that, as I had sold the boats to him, he owed me money, therefore it was a civil matter.

Mentioning fraud (as he never intended paying) and the theft of the outboard merely provoked a glazed look to pass over their faces.

They said that, as I had sold the boats to him, he owed me money, therefore it was a civil matter.

Mentioning fraud (as he never intended paying) and the theft of the outboard merely provoked a glazed look to pass over their faces.

Fairly standard fob-off.

What is that boat tied to?

In all fairness it's a fine line between 'obtaining property by deception' (can't see it being theft) & a bad business transaction.

All depends on the circs of course, but it would take some proving that he intended to deceive when he took the goods away.

Edit for spell

Edited by Midnight Rider

All depends on the circs of course, but it would take some proving that he intended to deceive when he took the goods away.

Edit for spell

I sort of got the impression he had no intention to pay when he laughed in my face and said "You're not getting a penny out of me, you f**king fool!"

I'm not sure how I knew...probably his body language.

Yes, understood, but this was not at the time that he took the goods away.

You might have had a chance if he had form for the same sort of thing but otherwise very difficult.

I'm aware of that, thanks.

Why do you think I didn't pursue it but just put it down as one of life's little lessons?

I have had a few years to mull it over.

His Dad told me he'd done it before, sadly after the event, and, as the police woman he conned showed, he did it again, too.

Edited by carlt

Thanks for enlightening me Carlt.

Now .In my late 60's I have negotiated life with the ethic that "mostl people I meet are basically honest" until proven different. (I dont meet many bankers or politicians) and have only been seriously let down on this belief on three or four occasions. Your story makes we wonder about this, perhaps I should reverse my ethic to "all people are dishonest until proven otherwise", what do you think?

Thanks for enlightening me Carlt.

Now .In my late 60's I have negotiated life with the ethic that "mostl people I meet are basically honest" until proven different. (I dont meet many bankers or politicians) and have only been seriously let down on this belief on three or four occasions. Your story makes we wonder about this, perhaps I should reverse my ethic to "all people are dishonest until proven otherwise", what do you think?

It hasn't changed my view (which is the same as yours) though I wouldn't ordinarily wave someone off, with 2 boats and my outboard, without taking a penny.

I'd known his Dad for years so I though I'd be alright though, when I spoke to him, Denis said "I've got 20 odd kids. I can't keep track of them all."

It hasn't changed my view (which is the same as yours) though I wouldn't ordinarily wave someone off, with 2 boats and my outboard, without taking a penny.

I'd known his Dad for years so I though I'd be alright though, when I spoke to him, Denis said "I've got 20 odd kids. I can't keep track of them all."

Guess Dad wasn't in a position to put pressure on kid then, but he might have warned you! Horrible to get taken for a ride like that, and not just because of the financial impact.

We took a huge risk in the opposite direction. Transferred the cash for the boat before we'd done the paperwork. My inability to sleep when needed messed up the arrangements for meeting the seller (my partner can't drive and I don't drive if I'm in sleep deficit) and I knew he needed the cash urgently to buy another boat with so I transferred the cash anyway.

I wouldn't have done it without being very certain he was who he said he was and that he'd be traceable if it went wrong. The boat had been on the same mooring for years, he was keeping the mooring, I'd met lots of people there and at the local yard, had plenty of evidence that the cash transfer was for purchasing his boat, told him what I was doing by text, with replies by text, etc.

Still, a scary couple of days until we rocked up and saw the boat still where we'd last seen her!

Edited by ymu

Guess Dad wasn't in a position to put pressure on kid then, but he might have warned you! Horrible to get taken for a ride like that, and not just because of the financial impact.

He didn't know, until after the event.

It wasn't nice but, in the end, it's only stuff.

Completely :smiley_offtopic: but this Dennis Wain, was he a Willow Wren captain in the 1960's? I knew several Wains in those days and seem to remember a Dennis. After Willow Wren stopped trading, one of them built his own wooden cruiser and kept it at Hilmorten or nearby. I met him several times about 15 years ago.

Completely :smiley_offtopic: but this Dennis Wain, was he a Willow Wren captain in the 1960's? I knew several Wains in those days and seem to remember a Dennis. After Willow Wren stopped trading, one of them built his own wooden cruiser and kept it at Hilmorten or nearby. I met him several times about 15 years ago.

Yes, that's the one (though I don't think he built his own boat, ever).

He ended his days as a Charity Dock resident.

Edited by carlt

I'm aware of that, thanks.

Why do you think I didn't pursue it but just put it down as one of life's little lessons?

I have had a few years to mull it over.

His Dad told me he'd done it before, sadly after the event, and, as the police woman he conned showed, he did it again, too.

Dont let it harden your heart too much mate there are plenty of people out there who are not like this and would pay you your money.

Your a bigger man than me as I would have knocked him in the canal with a shovel if he laughed in my face after helping him out.

It's a well-known fact that all unemployed people have been, and forever will be, unemployed for their entire lives, and their parents never, ever have any money to leave them when they die.

:lol:

Reminds me of a phone-in after some football related vioence following England playing in Italy. A common theme was "Where do these thugs get the money to travel and buy the tickets?" ...erm they might have a job.

oops I guess this is worth an :smiley_offtopic: