Narrowboat destroyed

Josher

Featured Posts

Sad ...

Man tells how his narrowboat was destroyed in suspected arson attack at Sutton Stop

Mar 11 2011 Coventry Telegraph

sid-waine-s-narrowboat-85347191.jpg

Sid Waine's narrowboat

A MAN has told how his narrowboat was destroyed in a suspected arson attack at Sutton Stop. Sid Waine’s boat was gutted in a blaze in Coventry on Wednesday night. Firefighters were sent to the incident at Sutton Stop, where the 10-metre boat had been moored, just before 11pm. The unemployed 29-year-old has lived on Coventry Canal all his life and bought the narrowboat four years ago.

Sid bought it as a refurbishment project in memory of his dad Dennis, who died of cancer five years ago. He named the boat Pipper and lives nearby on another boat. Speaking of its sentimental value, he said: “My dad’s old boat was sold after he died so I bought Pipper in his memory. I spent four years working on it to restore it and it brought back lots of happy memories of the time I spent with my dad.”

Sid says Pipper, which he believes was worth about £10,000, was targeted by vandals on Tuesday. He was disturbed by his dog and rushed over to the boat to find its windows had been smashed. “I phoned the police but because I didn’t see anything they said there was nothing they could do,” he said. Sid was alerted to the blaze by a friend and the flames had already been put out by fire crews by the time he arrived. “I was heartbroken when I saw it,” he said. “I felt like crying. The front of the boat isn’t too bad but the rest of it is a shell. I spent so many years doing that boat up and it was so important to me. I don’t know why anyone would do this. In all my years on the canal, nothing like this has ever happened.”

The boat was unoccupied at the time of the fire and Sid feels lucky to be alive. He said: “I was sleeping on it until three weeks ago when I bought another boat. I just feel so lucky I wasn’t asleep on it at the time of the fire.”

That would be the Sid Wain that stole my Dawncraft, dragged it onto a field and stripped it of anything worth selling and leaving the shell.

My heart bleeds.

Edited to add: His Dad was nice, though.

Edited by carlt

That would be the Sid Wain that stole my Dawncraft, dragged it onto a field and stripped it of anything worth selling and leaving the shell.

My heart bleeds.

Really? There must be more to that story.

You not an arsonist Carlt":lol:

How do unemployed people buy multiple boats?

It's a well-known fact that all unemployed people have been, and forever will be, unemployed for their entire lives, and their parents never, ever have any money to leave them when they die.

Well this is how he left my boat so I'm not the least bit sympathetic.

dGFmdGNhcmxAMjAwNDg1NDgwQDJAMjAwODExMDExMDU4MzJAMTIyNTUzMzUxMw%3D%3D.jpg

I wouldn't have wished it on him but I won't be shedding a tear, either.

Pity about the boat, though.

Methinks that he probably can guess who burnt his NB, a dissatisfied punter?, just my suspicious mind

It's always sad to see a boat in that state!

:smiley_offtopic:

Sorry, that I'm going right off topic but does anyone know why I cant see Carlt's picture?

I only see a little red cross??

Nipper

It's always sad to see a boat in that state!

:smiley_offtopic:

Sorry, that I'm going right off topic but does anyone know why I cant see Carlt's picture?

I only see a little red cross??

Nipper

I can't see it either. If you 'reply' to his post you can grab the image url from inside the tags and open it in another page - but that's not loading for me. It might be that their server is overloaded - it might be that our internet connections are not coping with it. Dunno.

I can't see it either. If you 'reply' to his post you can grab the image url from inside the tags and open it in another page - but that's not loading for me. It might be that their server is overloaded - it might be that our internet connections are not coping with it. Dunno.

I've not been able to see it either, despite grabbing the URL.

I assume that the server is not responding, but that CW still has to do something if it can't get the image. I don't see a symbol, but get the words "Posted image" at the point it should appear.

I've not been able to see it either, despite grabbing the URL.

I assume that the server is not responding, but that CW still has to do something if it can't get the image. I don't see a symbol, but get the words "Posted image" at the point it should appear.

The URL in the source looks borked with a 1.2.3.10/bmi/ inserted between the http:// and the www.

Lets try the URL without it;

dGFmdGNhcmxAMjAwNDg1NDgwQDJAMjAwODExMDExMDU4MzJAMTIyNTUzMzUxMw%3D%3D.jpg

It's a well-known fact that all unemployed people have been, and forever will be, unemployed for their entire lives, and their parents never, ever have any money to leave them when they die.

:cheers:

My heart bleeds.

A further example of what goes around, comes around - And - live by the sword and you die by the sword.

Maybe some one else was holding a grudge on his behaviour

Alex

A further example of what goes around, comes around - And - live by the sword and you die by the sword.

Maybe some one else was holding a grudge on his behaviour

Alex

Sometimes called "The Law of the Universe."

By having been employed previously?

I'm currently unemployed (for a whole 13 days), and for the first time in years I could afford to buy another boat.

I sold him the Dawncraft and a Walton, on tick, lending him a Honda 15hp to get the boats back to Coventry...(Yeah, yeah! I know! stupid fool). When I went to pick up the engine I had an idea that I'd been turned over, as I boated past my stripped Dawncraft.

He laughed in my face, when I asked for my money, he'd already sold everything, including the Honda.

I traced the Walton and, fortunately the new owner hadn't paid Sid, so that was something, at least.

Some time later a woman arrived at my mooring, with exactly the same story. I told her that the police had said there was nothing they could do, for me, as it was a civil matter.

She showed me her warrant card and said "He's picked on the wrong mug, this time."

I never heard from her again, though.