JD3

Featured Posts

A possible problem has been identified.

I am not at liberty to post the problem at the moment.

If it becomes possible to identify the problem and it is the problem, I will do so at a later date.

Many of you have been thinking along the same lines as us and it was nice to know, we were not quite going mad.

May I thank you all for your help.

ps. Sorry to be so 'secretive' but I am sure you will understand.

Sorry if there was any confusion, the pipe work that was by-passed was only the tank and the feed to the engine.

An update:

It appears that the problem has been solved but further testing is taking place.

Again apologies for not stating any more but the boat owner needs to be sure and make some decisions.

I can post this:

Thanks to Beta for all their help and support. They have been very interested in this, in case the fault rears it ugly head on another engine.

from the boat owner.

I can post this:

Thanks to Beta for all their help and support. They have been very interested in this, in case the fault rears it ugly head on another engine.

from the boat owner.

Are you going to post what was found now that there are photos of it on blogs

No, I think I will make you wait. :P

Oh! all-right then.

To cut a long story short, the fuel filter (engine mounted) was by passed and the engine ran OK.

Further investigation seems to have found two hairline cracks in the filter housing. (the bit on the engine)

A new filter housing was sent special delivery (thanks Beta) to arrive Saturday, it has been fitted and all seems OK.

If anything further happens I will up date again.

Note: I had to leave on Friday so was not there when the posssible fault was found, bit peeved on that. :(

I would suspect that the recent occurrence of very heavily water / sludge / diesel bug contaminated fuel has damaged the fuel injection pump. Not really Beta's fault is it? Has the friend told Beta about the fuel issue?

GBBS

To answer your post:

The boat did have a recent occurrence of diesel bug/water contamination.

Beta were informed at the very beginning.

I am sorry but your suspicions were wrong, both Beta and an independent engineer dismissed the possibility of the contamination causing damage.

The owner has only bought diesel from one different place to his normal supplier in the last two years and that was recently.

Edited by bottle

Further investigation seems to have found two hairline cracks in the filter housing. (the bit on the engine)

A new filter housing was sent special delivery (thanks Beta) to arrive Saturday, it has been fitted and all seems OK.

Ah, an unusual fault. No wonder you were struggling a bit, but we were close then suspecting that the filter was letting in air on the suction side.

Roger

Really good to see that this problem has been resolved well. I've one of these JD3s in my boat, and it's been an really good engine for over 4 years and nearly 3000 hours running. I hope the owners of this one have a good time with it from now on, as we have with ours. I've never yet had a significant problem with the engine, and Beta Marine have been very helpful at all times. Last year we were on the Gloucester & Sharpness near their place and I wanted to call in to collect a spare drive belt. Their spares man offered to pick me up in his car if I moored at the nearest road bridge. That's what I call service!

trackman