How big are your tanks ?

Nickhlx

Featured Posts

68'6'' nb

fresh water 20 liters

fuel 2x200 liters, interconnected.

Waste use land side facilities

I have a large s/steel water tank in the bow, which is used for balasting.

I find some of the claims here astonishing. A 1300 liter waste tank? Where..??

My sewage tank (actually two tanks linked together) are either side of the prop shaft, underneath the 9' boatmans cabin floor.

They are each roughly triangular shaped to match the swim.

Or, more to the point...Why?

Surely carrying that amount of poo around, for that length of time, is going to cause sludging and reduce capacity, anyway?

I never normally use all the capacity but it's there if the need arises.

The space under the back cabin floor is useless for anything else so why not?

Rob

Its not that I dont believe it but I cant see how that much water could be stored on a 57ft barge? Is it used as water ballast too??

I have a 1500ltr tank on my widebeam that is about 2ftx5ftx8ft and takes up most of the space under the front deck.

Ads

Its not that I dont believe it but I cant see how that much water could be stored on a 57ft barge? Is it used as water ballast too??

Either that or they've got their figures wrong. 5,500 litres is what we call major tankage. :P

Img_8771.jpg

I like this hull. Who built it? How wide are those gunwhales and what's the beam overall? Do you have any links to any external pictures?

Edited by blackrose

White diesel 2048 ltr

Red diesel 2250ltr

All diesel treated with Soltron. Last filled in Aug 08.

Fresh water 6000 litres - good for at least 6 weeks. Chlorinate on filling up - which can take a day with a small hose!!

Black and Grey 3000 litres each - or ballast.

As for the hull picture - some of the hull framing is a bit skimpy - not all frames on the bottom and chine extend up the hullside.

White diesel 2048 ltr

Red diesel 2250ltr

All diesel treated with Soltron. Last filled in Aug 08.

Fresh water 6000 litres - good for at least 6 weeks. Chlorinate on filling up - which can take a day with a small hose!!

Black and Grey 3000 litres each - or ballast.

A thousand litres a week! What are you doing with the stuff? My 1275 litres can last me at least 4 weeks and I use it fairly liberally.

As for the hull picture - some of the hull framing is a bit skimpy - not all frames on the bottom and chine extend up the hullside.

Hadn't noticed that, but I still like the shape.

Ah...but not all the framing is yet in place!

Steve Nott, who used to work for Nick Branson, the designer, puts a lot of framing in afterwards (often after rubbands are welded on), as experience has shown if you do it first, the sides start taking on a "threepenny bit" apperance.

This is a bespoke design, but even with Steve setting up the build, boy was I glad that the other of the two initial shells went first!

As it is, I have gone a bit overboard with "D" bar rubbands, extra ones being added to protect the chines. All the hull plating was originally down for 6mm plate, but I insisted on 8mm for the bottom two chines.

The steelwork is designed to Cat B, my surveyor is satisfied with that, but he will be signing the compleated boat off Cat C.

I like this hull. Who built it? How wide are those gunwhales and what's the beam overall? Do you have any links to any external pictures?

The design is mine/Nick Branson.

The boat is being built by Riversdale in Ballinamore, Co Leitrim, ROI.

The main setting up fabricator is Steve Nott, who used to work for Nick Branson and helped set up many kits for Nick's clients.

The Lloyds grade A, shot blasted and epoxy primed plate is Thyssen steel, supplied by Statendam in The Netherlands, The plate kit was cut out by Piper's who bought South Holland Marine's plasma cutting kit, after they folded.

MA is 14.95m long (as I think long term it will be good to keep a barge under 15m in Europe...and we do not need anything any bigger) x 3.7m. The gunwales just happened to be a point of contention with Mrs TNC, they are 300mm wide. This was decided to be the minimum size, even on a teeny barge like this...but they have been "enhanced" by the cabin side having some tumblehome and the 20mm round bar capping on the toe rails being set flush with the inside edge (so you cannot catch your toes)

It just so happens the sister ship, (in my opinion the ugly sister!) was launched last week.

NB3.jpg

NB1.jpg

NB2.jpg

NB3.jpg

The design is mine/Nick Branson.

The boat is being built by Riversdale in Ballinamore, Co Leitrim, ROI.

The main setting up fabricator is Steve Nott, who used to work for Nick Branson and helped set up many kits for Nick's clients.

The Lloyds grade A, shot blasted and epoxy primed plate is Thyssen steel, supplied by Statendam in The Netherlands, The plate kit was cut out by Piper's who bought South Holland Marine's plasma cutting kit, after they folded.

MA is 14.95m long (as I think long term it will be good to keep a barge under 15m in Europe...and we do not need anything any bigger) x 3.7m. The gunwales just happened to be a point of contention with Mrs TNC, they are 300mm wide. This was decided to be the minimum size, even on a teeny barge like this...but they have been "enhanced" by the cabin side having some tumblehome and the 20mm round bar capping on the toe rails being set flush with the inside edge (so you cannot catch your toes)

Thanks. I didn't realise it was a Dutch style barge. From the internal picture I'd assumed it was a double-chined NB style widebeam with extra wide gunwhales..

Edited by blackrose

We have a 300L water tank, porta potty for black and 1.5ton of coal for fuel!

The latter gives around 15 days of canal work, while to former is small enough that i needs topping at lease every few days but means it stays fresh and doesn't ever take too long to fill.

Daniel

70ft. Water tank - 400 gallons. Fuel tank - 450 litres. Pump out tank - 300 gallons. All large, I know, but that's RW Davis Northwich's for you.

We have bigger and better tanks than anyone else

equip_chall2_6_380x200.jpg

We have a 300L water tank, porta potty for black and 1.5ton of coal for fuel!

The latter gives around 15 days of canal work, while to former is small enough that i needs topping at lease every few days but means it stays fresh and doesn't ever take too long to fill.

Daniel

Daniel,

How much coal and water per hour, when "cruising", does the boat use ? Is it " a few litres" and "about a shovel" or are you throwing another shovel full in several times an hour ?

Also, do the "heating elements" need de-scaling regularly / how often ?

Thanks,

Nick

60' modern engined narrow beam

Fresh water: 675 ltrs, Stainless steel tank in bow section.

Black water: 240 ltrs, 3 week pump-out cycle, as we're similar in size to Hobbits.

Diesel: 182 ltrs, low centre of gravity saddle tank under the engine.

Mike

390L Black water polly tank in stern with self pup out as well.

A dog is for life, not just for Christmas! :P

Biggles, of course we have room...........

2008_0321walk0002.jpg

Andy

Nice!

Edited by Doorman

The weight of drinking water is 1000 kg-1000 liter, so 5500 ltr= 5.5 tons.

Peter.

Only at 20 degrees Celsius! :)

Peter Pedant

It just so happens the sister ship, (in my opinion the ugly sister!) was launched last week.

NB3.jpg

NB1.jpg

NB2.jpg

NB3.jpg

If ever we tire of living on our narrow boat, that's the only type of 'wide beam' that I would opt for. And France would be the place to float it, ooh la la! :captain:

Mike

If ever we tire of living on our narrow boat, that's the only type of 'wide beam' that I would opt for. And France would be the place to float it, ooh la la! :captain:

Mike

pssst...fone Graham...I need another one to be built to write off the design charges.... :lol:

Talk of the devil, he has just arrived in a large red van!

Daniel,

How much coal and water per hour, when "cruising", does the boat use ? Is it " a few litres" and "about a shovel" or are you throwing another shovel full in several times an hour ?

Also, do the "heating elements" need de-scaling regularly / how often ?

Without going off topic for too long, 100kg per day gives around 10-12hours steaming, but around 20-30kg is used in bringing the plant upto temperature at the start so the hourly rate is lower and hence the tendency to do longer days. We have a fairly small shovel but 2-3 of these every half house keeps it sweet enough.

Waterwise the exhaust steam is condensed and reused to the majority of it just goes round and round, make is from the domestic tank and maybe 10-20litres per day to replace water lost in leaks, blowdown and lifting the safety valves etc. This also massively reduces the amount of scale etc present in the boiler, all be it at a cost of introducing an amount of oil from the cylider lubrication.

Daniel

Without going off topic for too long, 100kg per day gives around 10-12hours steaming, but around 20-30kg is used in bringing the plant upto temperature at the start so the hourly rate is lower and hence the tendency to do longer days. We have a fairly small shovel but 2-3 of these every half house keeps it sweet enough.

Waterwise the exhaust steam is condensed and reused to the majority of it just goes round and round, make is from the domestic tank and maybe 10-20litres per day to replace water lost in leaks, blowdown and lifting the safety valves etc. This also massively reduces the amount of scale etc present in the boiler, all be it at a cost of introducing an amount of oil from the cylider lubrication.

Daniel

Thanks for the info - very interesting..

Nick

pssst...fone Graham...I need another one to be built to write off the design charges.... :lol:

Talk of the devil, he has just arrived in a large red van!

Neil,

I'd have to be pssst to contemplate ordering another boat, just to anaesthatise the pain I'd get from my bare fist fighting wife.

She loves our present boat and so do I, the dream of owning a lovely Dutch Barge will have to remain in my sub-conscious, unless that is we win the lottery, or, I get a job as an investment *anker! Both options are extremely unlikely, especially the second, as I have too many scruples.

Mike

Edited by Doorman