Golf along the canals

qq2011

Featured Posts

Hello,

Every year I meet up with a group of my old school friends for a standard golfing weekend somewhere in the country. 2011 is the 40th birthday year for many of us and we thought we'd try something a little different. I had the idea of combining a four day canal boat hire trip with a couple of rounds of golf on different courses. Do those of you who know the canals well think that this would be feasible? If so, I would welcome any suitable location suggestions.

Central / north England canals preferred

Require any type of boat with room for 6 guys plus golf clubs.

Thursday or Friday to Sunday or Monday hire in Sept 2011

Two toilets / showers preferred

Prefer friendly, unfussy golf clubs - pay & play courses are fine

Would be great if the canal stretch is non-city with a couple of nice pubs with good food

One-way cruise would be ideal but return is OK

I expect this is a tall order but I don't know where to begin.

Many thanks,

QQ

Just a quick thought off the top of my head. Hire from Viking Afloat at Rugby. Rugby Golf Club is adjacent to the canal just below Hillmorton Locks. Wind at Hillmorton and head up to Ansty where there is another course adjacent to the canal. Think you'll find the courses are what you want - not too fussy. Both have websites http://www.anstygolfcentre.co.uk/ and http://www.rugbygolfclub.co.uk/

Hello,

Every year I meet up with a group of my old school friends for a standard golfing weekend somewhere in the country. 2011 is the 40th birthday year for many of us and we thought we'd try something a little different. I had the idea of combining a four day canal boat hire trip with a couple of rounds of golf on different courses. Do those of you who know the canals well think that this would be feasible? If so, I would welcome any suitable location suggestions.

Central / north England canals preferred

Require any type of boat with room for 6 guys plus golf clubs.

Thursday or Friday to Sunday or Monday hire in Sept 2011

Two toilets / showers preferred

Prefer friendly, unfussy golf clubs - pay & play courses are fine

Would be great if the canal stretch is non-city with a couple of nice pubs with good food

One-way cruise would be ideal but return is OK

I expect this is a tall order but I don't know where to begin.

Many thanks,

QQ

Have you considered Ireland?......and the stunning Shannon-Erne Waterway?

Graham at Riversdale has a couple of boats that might fit the bill

Riversdale linky

I don't know much about golf, other than there are a good few courses close to the Shannon-Erne Waterway / Erne

Co Leitrim Golf courses

Co Cavan Golf corses

Co Fermanagh Enniskillen Golf Courses

You could always hire a boat at Chirk Marina on the Llangollen - don't even have to move it, just walk to the adjoining Chirk Golf Club!

Marine Cruisers

Chirk Golf Club

Marine Cruises now operate out of Swanley on the Llangollen. It is Crest Narrowboats and Black Prince running out of Chirk Marina. Both of those could offer a 69ft 6-8 berth boat from a Friday afternoon 'til Monday Morning.

Going towards Ellesmere there is the Henlle golf club just outside Gobowen. Chirk Golf Club on the same site as the Marina. Llangollen Golf Club is also just on the outskirts of Llangollen. I reckon those 3 courses could be completed in a short break.

Neil, we had considered Ireland thank you. I won't say we've ruled it out either but the logistics of assembling the group work much more easily in north or midland England, particularly in the short period of availability we have.

Josher & Leighton, many thanks for the Llangollen recommendation (I hadn't heard of it) but I've spent some time looking at google maps and views and I think it's ideal for our purposes. My only concern is to ensure we don't bite off more cruising distance than we can cover in the time available. That means picking a start location near enough to reach the Henlle, Chirk & Llangollen courses but not too close; so the boat trip still feels like a journey.

Thank you to the others who replied. I'm rather impressed with the warmth by which a outsider's request has been treated.

Best,

QQ

Chirk is a must, you have to drive into/onto golf course to get your boat, so I would book a round so you get to the 19th about 2pm, then pick up your boat from Chirk then travel to another course on your trip. If not book your round on your return to Chirk at the end of your trip. Boats from Chirk (crest/blackprince) have to be back for 9am and are available from 2pm.