The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Not sure quite what to make of the program yet. Continuity seems a bit odd.

One shot they are going on to the River Weaver on the Anderton Lift, the next shot shows them arriving at Stoke on Trent.

Was the foundry at Black Country Museum?

If so Guy goes between the Museum and Stoke in no time.

Also a wood fire on some sort of frame on the boat's roof!

:smiley_offtopic: I meet Joey Dunlop's uncle most days when I walk the dog

Edited by Ray T

A vastly important program, they've found the world's only overhead-cam JP2 :rolleyes:

MP.

I tell you what, if he's the mechanical expert it will all go horribly wrong... got to be worth watching next week then.

Fred Dibnah he ain't... mind you lots of things went wrong with Fred as well! :lol:

Was the foundry at Black Country Museum?

Yep. Bet it took them longer than two days to get there. In fact you never see the boat there!

Edited by mykaskin

The most interesting and important fact to come out of this programme was the new route from the Bridgewater via the Anderton Lift to the Wedgewood factory on the T&M. Also briefly via the Shroppie on the same trip.

Really must buy the new version of Nicholsons.

What an utter load of rubbish!! Who's the T*sser with him. Having a fire on the roof of the boat was so stupid. And I was looking forward to watching the program.I even sat down half way through doing the washing up.One thing is for sure....He won't replace dear old Fred. Points out of ten then..............I would say 3/10. :judge:;)

If its the correct series (and I doubt there is another one in the works) then there will be some form of boat painting / decoration at some point so it may be worth keeping an eye on

I rather liked it. It was engaging though not properly explained and all a bit quick but overall I think it will be a winner for the beeb

The boat seemed utterly pointless (so far)

Disjointed nonsense, IMO

BTW, I'm fairly sure the pot in which they brewed the tea was NOT the one they had 'made'.

What a surprise ;)

Tim

Easy to critisise for all budding TV program makers. Yes imo there are editorial and production errors, but we don't know the schedule and budget they were working on.

Lets not dwell on the negative. Found it an interesting and enjoyable program. The most important thing is that the canals, boats, landscape and heritage was on primetime TV. You can't get much better than that.

• Greenie 2

If its the correct series (and I doubt there is another one in the works) then there will be some form of boat painting / decoration at some point so it may be worth keeping an eye on

I rather liked it. It was engaging though not properly explained and all a bit quick but overall I think it will be a winner for the beeb

Were you watching the same program as the rest of us then?

Easy to critisise for all budding TV program makers. Yes imo there are editorial and production errors, but we don't know the schedule and budget they were working on.

Lets not dwell on the negative. Found it an interesting and enjoyable program. The most important thing is that the canals, boats, landscape and heritage was on primetime TV. You can't get much better than that.

Don't be positive on here, you will burn in hell!

(((((Lets not dwell on the negative. Found it an interesting and enjoyable program. The most important thing is that the canals, boats, landscape and heritage was on primetime TV. You can't get much better than that.))))

Ditto, very enjoyable looking forward to next weeks programme. Well done BBC. !!

Were you watching the same program as the rest of us then?

Yes the one with the numpty on the boat. I still like it though! Perhaps I have poor taste? But as a relative canal novice and being someone who thinks there aren't enough programmes dealing with our rich industrial heritage I'll take what I can get. If there was something else to watch dealing with the same subject and it was a choice between the two the other show would probably win

This is made for mass audiences don't forget so it got to be interesting to those who wouldn't normally give this sort of thing a look in. As long as they don't make any historical howlers I can accept a fair bit of liscence on geography

Just watched it. I'm confused about his route planning, He appears to make his way from his mooring at Worsley to Anderton, then down the lift onto the weaver, then on to Dudley to make his kettle and then skips over to Stoke to make his mug then a quick trip back to Dudley for a cup of tea. (single handed for part of the way) What a guy!!!!

Sue

p.s sorry just read some of the previous posts, my confusion has already been mentioned - Glad I'm not the only one.

but yes it's good to see some coverage of canals on prime time T.V ( did find him and his mate a bit annoying though, maybe he'll do better next week.)

Edited by sueanddaren

Don't be positive on here, you will burn in hell!

Thought that only applied to NBW LOL.

Back on topic, I was disappointed with it as well, although it was nice to see a few places I have been via boat.

One thing that surprised me was the Barton Swing Aqueduct being missed out with it being on the route from Worsley to the Anderton boat lift and also being another of the 7 waterway wonders

I thought it was rubbish!! I will try again next week but not holding out for much hope.

Just watched the first one and am not impressed. What planet are these people on? Oh well, I've got better things to do with my time. Thank whatever deity of your choice I don't have TV on board.

<_<

D

Yes theres some continuity issues. Yes his accent is appalling (oh its sounds dead flaat just like mine!). But interesting all the same. Would have liked to have seen an older boat perhaps in keeping with the working traditions he's trying to portray but I will watch the next couple of programmes to see how it progresses.

Edited by tillergirl

Me I enjoyed it a bit of light entertainment certainly better that all that waterworld crap.

Anorack on

Did anyone notice the industrial JP2 with a marine heat exchanger/silencer thought the JP2 was a real hodge podge

I read this on the BBC website so I didn't bother watching it.

"Guy Martin starts a six-week mission to renovate a neglected narrowboat, named Reckless, with inventions from the Industrial Revolution. In this episode, he builds his own 18th-century blast furnace to cast an iron pot so he can boil some water, then learns how to throw his own traditional Wedgwood mugs so he can enjoy a perfect old-school cup of tea."

I'm not interested in casting iron pots or throwing traditional Wegewood mugs. It sounded to me like another programme ostensibly about boats which actually had nothing to do with boats.

Yes theres some continuity issues. Yes his accent is appalling (oh its sounds dead flaat just like mine!). But interesting all the same. Would have liked to have seen an older boat perhaps in keeping with the working traditions he's trying to portray but I will watch the next couple of programmes to see how it progresses.

So far the boat has been quite unimportant, it could have been a fibreglass cruiser or even an old wooden tar boat it wouldn't have made any difference to the program.

So far the boat has been quite unimportant, it could have been a fibreglass cruiser or even an old wooden tar boat it wouldn't have made any difference to the program.

I was also a little concerned about he route planning. And i dont really think it has much to do with canal boats yet maybe the next episode might get it moving!

TV shows very often have massive continuity errors and historical inaccuracies that you'd only spot if in the know. Some of the programmes there have been on railways have been far worse than this! I don't think it's bad as a piece of light-hearted entertainment.

Worth remembering that nearly all TV shows are made to roughly the same quality level. Don't believe everything you see!

I'm usually fairly diplomatic, but what utter crap that programme was. Made by people who know sod all about boats, presented by a bloke who knows sod all about boats, probably chosen to front the show as himbo eye candy with an amusing regional accent.

Copied from response on another post about this.

I read this on the BBC website so I didn't bother watching it.

"Guy Martin starts a six-week mission to renovate a neglected narrowboat, named Reckless, with inventions from the Industrial Revolution. In this episode, he builds his own 18th-century blast furnace to cast an iron pot so he can boil some water, then learns how to throw his own traditional Wedgwood mugs so he can enjoy a perfect old-school cup of tea."

I'm not interested in casting iron pots or throwing traditional Wegewood mugs. It sounded to me like another programme ostensibly about boats which actually had nothing to do with boats.

It was mentioned that casting iron meant various canal structures could be made , also was the trent and mersey used to transport pottery.

Like said above its light entertainment for a wide audience ,some of that wide audience will be asking me over the following days about the canals because they know i have a boat and i will be glad to tell them what it is all about , probably end up taking several out on the boat , we are going to be depending on the general publics charity i believe in the not to distant future to keep the canals and if it lifts the waterways profile ,be grateful.

• Greenie 1