The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Ah! the famous Nuremberg ring...

Its hilarious the number of people who when they leave the ferry type "Nuremberg" as a destination and only realise once they get to the spiritual home of the 3rd Reich that they have overshot the spiritual home of motor racing by about 400 miles.

A whole circus convoy did this very thing last summer. Rumour has it the clown was driving.

They got the Nurburg (or Nuerburg) ring 5 days late and had to cancel several shows.

Well you learn something new every day - cheers.

Dident Joey's fishing boat sink? The Steam Racket Co are charging £210 each this year (1 person 1 bike retern) but will be expecting a 'Libyan' fuel sercharge. Last time we were there I got a speeding ticket,45 in a 30, only £275 and it has to be payed befor you leave, lucky they take visa.

I think it was '78 when Joey's boat sunk.

I think it was '78 when Joey's boat sunk.

I read that and thought; no it was 81 just after Tom Heron died at the NW200, because I was there before going on to the IOM.

did a google and It was completely wrong too it was 85 :banghead: and I was on he island too. S'funny how your brain plays tricks on you, guess its my age

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/people/joeydunlop/explore/tornamona-sinks

Jim

I read that and thought; no it was 81 just after Tom Heron died at the NW200, because I was there before going on to the IOM.

did a google and It was completely wrong too it was 85 :banghead: and I was on he island too. S'funny how your brain plays tricks on you, guess its my age

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/people/joeydunlop/explore/tornamona-sinks

Jim

Yep it is mind tricks. I thought it was earlier than that :)

I stepped straight from the boat into the canal once because - while trying to read 'Towpath' at the same time - a quick glance told me (wrongly) that a thick layer of flotsam was the towpath (the real one). I surfaced a lifetime later, still clutching a very soggy 'Towpath'. I doubt I ever finished that edition.

I wonder if they will show the bit when he misjudged the step from the boat to the bank, fell flat on his face and needed surgery to sort the mess out! (As reported in "Performance Bike" by himself).

You should see him ride a bike around the TT course, at an average speed of over 127mph for 37.75 miles on normal roads - truly awsome. What a 'Guy'

Alex

Is that all. I just drove to France and back 1550miles at an average speed of 66mph.

Bit quicker than the NB

Biggles

Is that all. I just drove to France and back 1550miles at an average speed of 66mph.

Bit quicker than the NB

Biggles

As an average speed, that is pretty fast, I hope for you that you're not going to end up with a pile of speeding tickets comming to your place, to make you pay a supplement on top of the already too expensive fuel prices, for your "average" speed.

Peter.

As an average speed, that is pretty fast, I hope for you that you're not going to end up with a pile of speeding tickets comming to your place, to make you pay a supplement on top of the already too expensive fuel prices, for your "average" speed.

Peter.

I would say given the excellent clear Autoroutes in France that is not over the top at all.

Very easy in my experience to be able to safely, easily maintain such a speed AND stay within the law.

I would say given the excellent clear Autoroutes in France that is not over the top at all.

Very easy in my experience to be able to safely, easily maintain such a speed AND stay within the law.

Yep spot on. Clear roads all the way and cruise control set to 85mph in France. 3L BMW diesel with 5 adults and full ski kit, and still got nearly 34MPG.

Unfortunalty the average was brought down by the 300 miles on UK roads.

Last week my friend was late for his own funeral due to road works a 5 mile trip took best part of 35 minutes. We only got through when one of the undertakes went and spoke to the traffic control.

Biggles

It sounds like another TV program to be avoided.

In most such programmes I spend more time looking BEHIND the talking head, looking at more interesting canal scenes than whatever he is talking about.

George ex nb Alton retired

Yep spot on. Clear roads all the way and cruise control set to 85mph in France. 3L BMW diesel with 5 adults and full ski kit, and still got nearly 34MPG.

Unfortunalty the average was brought down by the 300 miles on UK roads.

Last week my friend was late for his own funeral due to road works a 5 mile trip took best part of 35 minutes. We only got through when one of the undertakes went and spoke to the traffic control.

Biggles

If your destination enables you, and if you're in a hurry to get there by using nothing but expensive "toll roads" where fuel is sold at the highest price too, then it's possible if there are no roadworks or traffic accidents or if it's raining.

With you cruise control set at 85mph you were not going enough over the maximum allowed speed (130kmh=80mph, when dry or 110kmh=70mph, in rainy conditions) to get speeding tickets.

Everybody is free to do and drive the way they fancy, personally my days of racing from A to B are well behind me, and I enjoy now taking my time getting to my destination by using the more scenic routes, whereby I drive through lovely villages where you can find some great little restaurants and real bakeries and take my time. Our whole life, and the world we live in (my personnal opinion) is a rush already.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Well, I don't know who thought up the idea that this is the next Fred, but they are sorely mistaken.

What an irritating jerk.

Nobody will ever replace Fred Dibnah; he was truly a one off character.

The boat seemed utterly pointless (so far)

Disjointed nonsense, IMO

BTW, I'm fairly sure the pot in which they brewed the tea was NOT the one they had 'made'.

What a surprise ;)

Tim

Edited by Timleech