The Boat That Guy Built

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Unfortunately I'm right at the end of the chain, and whilst I was able to correct/have corrected a couple of real howlers that had crept through (no, I'm not going to say what), other observations such as "That cooker should never be on a boat", "You don't light a fire on a narrowboat roof!" and "I don't think it's funny to laugh about hitting other boats, I think it's offensive" were overruled.

My responsibilty lies with making it look as beautiful as I can, ensuring it's technically correct, and supplying it to The Beeb. I have little if any influence on content.

Tony

Sorry Tony, I should have added a tounge in cheek emot.

I know I'd have to raise it with the producer really...

As it happens, I quite like the pacing and I have admired a couple of really neat, but challenging edits that I only noticed when I was playing with the reverse, forward, pause, play, buttons - that has to be the mark of craftmanship.

Cheers

Rob

Right Chief. By'eck. Now then. Giggle-giggle-giggle. Not bad Chief. Did I call you Chief by 'eck? Nice one Boss! Giggle again. The EnD. :cheers:

Ha ha! that sums it up for me as well!

I watched the first three, but no more - the novelty has worn off.

ETA: But I'm very glad that lots of people like it, it can only be a good thing for the waterways.

Edited by Willber G
  • Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen tonights episode where the boat is painted. We were treated to a complete load of rubbish about where and how roses and castles originated from. How on earth this programme got on BBC1 prime time is beyond belief. I dont think this programme does anything useful for promoting boating and inland waterways, like the boat, a load of rubbish.

Just seen tonights episode where the boat is painted. We were treated to a complete load of rubbish about where and how roses and castles originated from. How on earth this programme got on BBC1 prime time is beyond belief. I dont think this programme does anything useful for promoting boating and inland waterways, like the boat, a load of rubbish.

Take it for what it is - a bit of light hearted entertainment. People where I work certainly watch it and its prompted them to talk to me whereas before they never bothered. I don't think its meant to be educational just entertaining. A bit of light hearted nonsense that really isn't doing boaters, boating or the waterways any harm at all. Least thats my opinion ;)

I have resisted comment on this thread for ages but have to say with dignity (as I don't have the experience or knowledge of others) that this programme is an absolute p==s take. I am embarrassed for all concerned

Only my view of course

Martyn

I have resisted comment on this thread for ages but have to say with dignity (as I don't have the experience or knowledge of others) that this programme is an absolute p==s take. I am embarrassed for all concerned

Only my view of course

Martyn

It is best to keep resisting making a comment. I know what you mean, but the vast majority of the viewing public just want to be entertained. And this series is the formula that the viewing public want and expect. Quality, content and factual information is not important these days but the presenters must get more bizarre/flamboyant/argumentative/stupid with each episode.

Top Gear must spend millions staging daft stunts ...................

Antique program presenters must dress and act like prats .............

Talent show judges must start an argument amongst themselves every week .........

East Enders needs a *phone line for anyone affected* after every episode ............

Quiz hosts keep repeating everything assuming that the viewers are complete zombies ....

Fortunately there is an off switch.

(blast - I have made a comment or two)

So you know, for sure, where roses and castles came from do you? Please enlighten us, cos most waterway historians can only make guesses, just as the programme did.

And the boat is a load of rubbish? It's different, but it goes, and it floats. What's rubbish about that?

The prog is on prime-time telly cos it's good, light-hearted entertainment, with a bit of interesting industrial heritage thrown in. You don't expect a prog for boat nerds on prime-time telly, do you?

I hope your post was a joke.

This one is.

Tone

How about a whole new post, with pictures, entitled " The Bridge/Tunnel/Boat/Bank, that Guy collided with"

I don't have any pictures at present but I'm sure someone out there could quickly take some of collapsed bridges etc and display them.

:lol:

Just seen tonights episode where the boat is painted.

Dunno about 'painted'. The liney finish he got was bloody awfull, you could rock climb up the cabin side, it looked like a relief map of the himalayas! Did he use his own hairey mutton chops to lay the paint off with??! ........epic fail..... :P

Anyway the show is entertaining enough, I'm sort of warming to guy the 'grinning gimp' who knows dick all about boating. Considering the alternative is 'waterways world', I think guy's approach is more light hearted and endearing.

Some of the people they get on waterways world are so 'yawn worthy', I really could't give two fudges about a cheese boat or watching a young professional couple moving onto a narrowboat <jazzhands> oooooo those crazy kids! </jazzhands>

Worst of all boring old Tim West who acts like he's never had a day of fun in his whole bloody life! He looks like an old toad.

So you know, for sure, where roses and castles came from do you? Please enlighten us, cos most waterway historians can only make guesses, just as the programme did.

And the boat is a load of rubbish? It's different, but it goes, and it floats. What's rubbish about that?

The prog is on prime-time telly cos it's good, light-hearted entertainment, with a bit of interesting industrial heritage thrown in. You don't expect a prog for boat nerds on prime-time telly, do you?

This one is.

Tone

Laughed me blooming socks off chief! :lol:

This one is.

Tone

I`m pretty sure that I actually do know where Roses and Castles came from - but I aren`t going to go into it here. Suffice to say that you shouldn`t study them in isolation and forget about Rhine castles , Gypsies, Afghan and Indian road haulage, floating gardens etc. etc. However - I agree entirely with you about the nature of the programme. I enjoy it even when they talk absolute bollocks about boat painting! I watched the episode with Meg and a couple of bottles of Bud. She hurled abuse at the telly because she had refused to say all the things the voice -over did on the grounds that it wasn`t true!

The paint job, mainly done by Meg and Sarah ( who used to be Craftmaster`s super office girl ) was done from start to finish , that is from patches of rust to finished, in the rain in less than three days at two different locations. One place they had, as you may have seen had railings waste high all along betwixt painter and cabin! Meg`s castle and rose panel were done in about twenty minutes , also in the rain while theoretically teaching Guy how to do it. She missed a number of processes out because there wasn`t time !

Let`s start a club for the "what the hell it`s prime time TV and it`s a bit of a laugh if you let it be" persons among us !

Cheers

Phil

At least the continuity was better this week as they started from and hit the south end of harecastle, turn into the Maccy - hitting the bank when most first timers manage here. Then they were up at Bollington doing the paint bit.

Antique program presenters must dress and act like prats .............

To be fair, go and spend 5 minutes in an Antiques auction and you will see that they all dress (and frequently act) like prats, not just the TV mob.

Even I wore a funny hat, when I was actively in the trade.

Edited by carlt

I`m pretty sure that I actually do know where Roses and Castles came from - but I aren`t going to go into it here.

Do tell. PM me if you like. I am the sole of indisgression.

I know all the gypsy, Spanish, and 'my home is my castle' theories, but I've never been convinced.

But, I concede, this is as good a theory as any:

http://nbalbert.blogspot.com/2008/12/roses-and-castles-origin.html

Tone

At least the continuity was better this week as they started from and hit the south end of harecastle, turn into the Maccy - hitting the bank when most first timers manage here. Then they were up at Bollington doing the paint bit.

Not sure about that, I'm sure it was this week which said they were on the macc, then there was a shot of Aston lock on the lower T&M, which is wide!

My two penneth is that taken on face value it is harmless entertainment, it is wrong to laugh at hitting other peoples' boats, or bridges and tunnels, but without actually being there we are reliant on forming an opinion based on editing, done in such a way to create entertainment. I will happily be corrected if I am wrong, I have missed an episode or two!!!

Regards

Dan

To be fair, go and spend 5 minutes in an Antiques auction and you will see that they all dress (and frequently act) like prats, not just the TV mob.

Even I wore a funny hat, when I was actively in the trade.

so its carl (cilla) t now then?