Biggest ever container ships commissioned

Guest User

Featured Posts

Never likely to be encountered on the inland waterways I know, but wow ! these will be enormous: 400 metres long, equivalent to 20 storeys high and a capacity of 18,000 (yep 18,000) containers each ... and Maersk have just signed an order for TEN of their new triple E class container ships ....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/feb/21/maersk-containers-shipping-emissions .... I wonder how big their domestic battery banks are ?

Never likely to be encountered on the inland waterways I know, but wow ! these will be enormous: 400 metres long, equivalent to 20 storeys high and a capacity of 18,000 (yep 18,000) containers each ... and Maersk have just signed an order for TEN of their new triple E class container ships ....

http://www.guardian....pping-emissions .... I wonder how big their domestic battery banks are ?

I remember going to a shipping conference at the end of the 70's and the main speaker an expert said "Container shipping will never catch on"

I remember going to a shipping conference at the end of the 70's and the main speaker an expert said "Container shipping will never catch on"

Surely by the end of the seventies the container trade was booming, with second generation vessels already well established and the third generation ships on the drawing board. I think your speaker needed to look at all the container terminals around the globe to see that by that time container shipping had already revolutionised the shipping industry :rolleyes:

Howard

Surely by the end of the seventies the container trade was booming, with second generation vessels already well established and the third generation ships on the drawing board. I think your speaker needed to look at all the container terminals around the globe to see that by that time container shipping had already revolutionised the shipping industry :rolleyes:

Howard

Well spotted Howard meant to say end of 60's I also worked in the States for US Lines when they started first Round The World Service unfortunately they were a bit ahead of times and they ended up goingt bankrupt and then everyone said a RTW would never work again just shows how wrong people can be. By the end of the 70's I think most Container ships were about 1,500 TEU and they seemed to take some filling.

With these large ships like Maersk are building I doubt if they will call UK they will most probably just make one maybe two European calls most probably Rotterdam and one other I would guess Hamburg or Bremenhaven

Well spotted Howard meant to say end of 60's I also worked in the States for US Lines when they started first Round The World Service unfortunately they were a bit ahead of times and they ended up goingt bankrupt and then everyone said a RTW would never work again just shows how wrong people can be. By the end of the 70's I think most Container ships were about 1,500 TEU and they seemed to take some filling.

With these large ships like Maersk are building I doubt if they will call UK they will most probably just make one maybe two European calls most probably Rotterdam and one other I would guess Hamburg or Bremenhaven

Quote:

............designed solely for the China-Europe route. Only Felixstowe in Britain, and Rotterdam and Bremerhaven in mainland Europe will have the facilities to handle them, along with Port Said in Egypt and just four ports in the east, including Shanghai and Hong Kong.

Big un's ain't they! The largest I ever sialed on was 65,000t. These are nearly 100,000t more!

:blink: