Mal Edwards

kienik

Featured Posts

Evening All

Has anyone seen or heard from Mal Edwards, he lives on his NB called Becky, and was awarded an MBE or a OBE some years back, he used to skipper a community NB (think it was My Fanwy, based on the LLangollen at Trefor).

I have met Mal many times and had a few beers with him in the WilleyMoor Lock pub on the LLan, also worked a few locks with him when he was lock keeper at the Grindley Brook flight.

I havent seen in for a few years and would like to catch up with him again, just wondered where he is based and how he is getting on.

Any info??

Thanks

Nik

Evening All

Has anyone seen or heard from Mal Edwards, he lives on his NB called Becky, and was awarded an MBE or a OBE some years back, he used to skipper a community NB (think it was My Fanwy, based on the LLangollen at Trefor).

I have met Mal many times and had a few beers with him in the WilleyMoor Lock pub on the LLan, also worked a few locks with him when he was lock keeper at the Grindley Brook flight.

I havent seen in for a few years and would like to catch up with him again, just wondered where he is based and how he is getting on.

Any info??

Thanks

Nik

saw him this week at Norbury Junction.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 years later...

A very old thread, and I was the last contributor in 2012.

Anyway. I’m after a stern fender and Mal Edwards name keeps coming to the fore. I’m told he is quite often north of Norbury Junction, where we are presently. Does anyone know his where abouts? Please.

Edited by Nightwatch

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

A very old thread, and I was the last contributor in 2012.

Anyway. I’m after a stern fender and Amal’s name keeps coming to the fore. I’m told he is quite often north of Norbury Junction, where we are presently. Does anyone know his where abouts? Please.

His mooring is just opposite The Anchor....where he can also be found...however he does go boating from time to time.

18 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Awhile back, before Covid, he was spending a lot of time up by Grindley Brook.

And I saw him less and less on his moorings.

Ask after him in the pub if he ain’t there. 

Thanks.

39 minutes ago, frangar said:

His mooring is just opposite The Anchor....where he can also be found...however he does go boating from time to time.

No sign of him when we were that way last month, in fact a local boater asked me if I knew where he was

3 hours ago, junior said:

Mal does make good fenders but Brian from Coalboat Alton also makes lovely fenders himself which he sells on the coalboats if you see Halsall or Jason on Bargus.

Thanks Mr Junior. I sent a text to Alan afew days ago. Heard nowt back. We are travelling north towards the Bridgewater so May well see one of the gang. I had a bow fender off Alan a year or so ago. It is quality. Are you in touch with Alan still?

23 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Thanks Mr Junior. I sent a text to Alan afew days ago. Heard nowt back. We are travelling north towards the Bridgewater so May well see one of the gang. I had a bow fender off Alan a year or so ago. It is quality. Are you in touch with Alan still?

I think you mean Brian. Yes still speak to them regularly and will be calling into their yard tomorrow in Bollington. If you wanted I might be able to grab a fender for you and take it home. You could collect it when you pass by Dutton. Let me know.

8 minutes ago, junior said:

I think you mean Brian. Yes still speak to them regularly and will be calling into their yard tomorrow in Bollington. If you wanted I might be able to grab a fender for you and take it home. You could collect it when you pass by Dutton. Let me know.

Thanks Martin. It’s an age thing, Brian it is, and will hopefully remain so. If you don’t mind collecting a fender for me, that would be brilliant. Do I remember you purchased the lovely house adjacent to the tunnel entrance or exit? When we went north through it in 2015 ish! the land was being landscaped or at least worked on.

Let me know your costs and everything and I can bank transfer across.

I bet I’ve written to Brian calling him Alan. Always wanted a pet named Alan. It’s imprinted on my brain box.

49 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Thanks Martin. It’s an age thing, Brian it is, and will hopefully remain so. If you don’t mind collecting a fender for me, that would be brilliant. Do I remember you purchased the lovely house adjacent to the tunnel entrance or exit? When we went north through it in 2015 ish! the land was being landscaped or at least worked on.

Let me know your costs and everything and I can bank transfer across.

I bet I’ve written to Brian calling him Alan. Always wanted a pet named Alan. It’s imprinted on my brain box.

What sort of fender do you want? Short button? Long button? Stern tipcat? V-bow?

Stern (button?) fender with three chains. About 14-15” in length. Not sure what or if the standard length is. Ours is a bit battered and bruised and measures about the above. Going to be sometime before we get up there so no immediate rush.

We have a troublesome Eberspacher boiler at present so we are hanging about Norbury in case we need bits. Very annoying as we only had it fitted at the beginning of March this year.

11 hours ago, Clanky said:

Mal is now moored at Bettisfield after selling his land to be closer to his daughter.

He was very much there when we passed him at Bettisfield on Sunday. I was surprised to see him on a permanent mooring there - now I know why.