Grant to Boost Canal Tourism

larkshall

Featured Posts

I happen to work for a newspaper publisher (Newsquest), and the following caught my eye in one of our free advertiser publications covering Bradford and district.... I quote the article in full

" Heritage conservation experts are set to highlight Bingley's Five and Thre Rise Locks as a site of regional and national importance after securing a £50,000 grant.A study will be carried out into the 237-year-old grade I and II-listed structures, which attract 300,000 tourists each year.

Consultant Marion Blockley is working with British Waterwatys, Bradford Council, and the Airedale Waterways Partnership to prepare an activity plan to encourage tourists. She said " British Waterways have some funding and they want to use it to make the Five and Three Rise Locks more interesting to visitors.

"We are looking to create interest in th whole stretch of canal through Saltair and Dowley Gap into Bingley. "To do that we need to explain to people why the locks are so significant"

As well as the famous locks which were opened in 1774 the study will include Bingley North Bog,a designated wildilfe area it will be completed by the end of March.

As part of the study Bingley Residents are being asked what events and activities they would like to see at the locks to explain their importance. Memories and old pictures provided by local people may form part of any future activities to highlight the importance of the Leeds Liverpool Canal. Mrs Blockley said " We would like to recruit volunteers who might be interested in being traioned to run events workshops or guided walks with local schools or take part in research and conservation activities"

There will be a display of historic photographs at Bingley Market on Friday March 11, and Saturday March 12.

Anyone who has stories or photos, or who wants to get involved in the project should e-mail marion@marionblockley.co.uk or write to Rebecca Dent, Regeneration Team North, British Waterways, Fearns Wharf, Neptune St,Leeds LS9 8PB "

Article published in The Advertiser dated Friday 18th February.