Peter Redway

sueb

Featured Posts

I have been informed that Peter has died. Those of us involved with the restoration of the Basingstoke Canal remember his commitment to this canal and the fun he gave us.

Sue

One of the nicest blokes you could ever want to meet, have lost count of the number of working parties I have been on on the Basingstoke Canal under his leadership. The waterways restoration movement is a poorer place for him leaving us.

1181865440_JrRvJ-L.jpg

Peter (Top right) supervising London WRG working on the Deepcut flight only last November

A very sad Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Yes, a sad loss.

Peter was passionate about the Basingstoke and dedicated his life to it. We didn't see eye-to-eye on everything, notably funding, but I have nothing but respect for the man.

I have fond memories of rescuing his tug Sapper and towing it to dry dock with Merlin, the restaurant boat!

Tone

Just had reports that the funeral was absolutely packed. Standing room only.

Tone

It was a lovely boaters funeral. The coffin was decorated to look like a narrowboat and really well done. It was interesting looking at people and trying to imagine what they looked like 20yrs ago. I am sure there were a lot of people I didn't recognise due to age and not wearing hard hats and old clothes.

Someone who achieved so much in his lifetime and will be missed by many.

Sue

You had hard hats? Blimee! That was advanced!

I didn't see eye-to-eye with Peter in later years on policy, but that doesn't detract from the appreciation of his dedication and sheer bloody hard work on the restoration and preservation of the Basingstoke canal.

What a shame that Deepcut is closed again through underfunding. The last major funeral we had down there, we scattered the ashes from Merlin, below Lock 25 at Curzon Bridge. Can't do that now. It's dry.

Tone