Find me a tv

Frankieboy

Featured Posts

Afternoon all,

Am looking for a 12v tv, about 15 or 16" or so, with dvd player and freeview.

Was looking to spend about 200 squid.

Our last tv was a Meos and worked fine but I think the dvd player was starting to play up.

Have read lots of bad reports about the dvd players on the Meos.

Can anyone recommend me a 12v tv with dvd and freeview for £200.

Also heard some interesting reports about dealing with wedodigital (or wedontdodigital as they seem to be known).

Dont have inverter so no 240v.

Cheers

Frank

You can much better than £200,

here you are:-

http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/visual-innovations/vi1500dvd/visu-innov-vi1500dvd

We have one and it works well off the boat's 12v supply, Grab one quickly while they have some at this price, they were £99.99 when we bought ours

Edited by David Schweizer

http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/visual-innovations/vi1500dvd/visu-innov-vi1500dvd

We have one and it works well off the boat's 12v supply, Grab one quickly while they have some at this price, they were £99.99 when we bought ours

That looks to be a real bargain for £99.99 - we paid more than four times that five years ago for a similar product!

The biggest difficulty with these modern flat screen TVs is the sound output. Ours sounds terribly tinny and Richer Sounds and other suppliers recommend additional speakers - this works well in a house but for the boat, we have yet to find a decent set of auxiliary speakers that will run on 12 or 24 volts.

Tinny - being the oposite of 'woody' - see:

Afternoon all,

Our last tv was a Meos and worked fine but I think the dvd player was starting to play up.

Also heard some interesting reports about dealing with wedodigital (or wedontdodigital as they seem to be known).

Cheers

Frank

Most lcd/dvd's have freeview built in them, just make sure its 12 volt look at the label on the back of the tv and also make sure it has a jack pin plug type as opposed to a moulded one...

Martyn

The biggest difficulty with these modern flat screen TVs is the sound output. Ours sounds terribly tinny and Richer Sounds and other suppliers recommend additional speakers - this works well in a house but for the boat, we have yet to find a decent set of auxiliary speakers that will run on 12 or 24 volts.

For people with 12 volts only, maybe headphones might be the best (and cheapest) option?

Methinks I shall be popping over to Eton tomorrow for a couple of these! :cheers:

(one for the kitchen at home and one for Maurice A. I already got the HD Freeview Satellite kit for Maurice A)

That looks to be a real bargain for £99.99 - we paid more than four times that five years ago for a similar product!

Tinny - being the oposite of 'woody' - see:

I agree that the sound is not brilliant, we have ours tuned for minimum treble and maximum bass which is an improvement. Fortumnately for us, our son left a rather nice pair of 12v powered Cambridge Computer speakers behind when he moved to Australia. They work OK from the headphone socket on all the other equipment we have at home, I will be trying them out when we next visit the boat, so hopefully the problem is solved.

Afternoon all,

Cheers

Frank

:D

Just buy a small inverter about 300 or so watts they cost peanuts and you then have the vastly bigger choice of mains voltage tellys, simples..............

To add speakers you can get a car radio/DVD setup with an input from the TV, (and an output to it for DVD). I had a JVC unit on a yacht which worked great for the 4 years I had it. Had it hooked up to 4 Kef Egg speakers, and the sound was as good as at home. I think Maplins do a cheaper unit for around £80 or so these days, and you can get reasonable speakers for much less than the Kefs.

Methinks I shall be popping over to Eton tomorrow for a couple of these! :cheers:

(one for the kitchen at home and one for Maurice A. I already got the HD Freeview Satellite kit for Maurice A)

Check stock before you go Neil - they've only one left now at Eton HaHa. (4 at Watford though!)

Check stock before you go Neil - they've only one left now at Eton HaHa. (4 at Watford though!)

Yes, I have just come back with the last one - display model (never been on, power adapter/lead still in sealed bag)...with the wrong remote...grrrrr!

They have now found the right one and popped it in the post.

It is very good for the money, not very good viewing angle and the sound...well not its strong point!

On this topic who knows of a 22-28inch HD1080p tv with integrated HDfreeview, ideally with 12/24v input.....

I agree that the sound is not brilliant, we have ours tuned for minimum treble and maximum bass which is an improvement. Fortumnately for us, our son left a rather nice pair of 12v powered Cambridge Computer speakers behind when he moved to Australia. They work OK from the headphone socket on all the other equipment we have at home, I will be trying them out when we next visit the boat, so hopefully the problem is solved.

I think all flatscreen tv sound is poor... I'm thinking on the lines of a cheapish surround sound system

On this topic who knows of a 22-28inch HD1080p tv with integrated HDfreeview, ideally with 12/24v input.....

I think all flatscreen tv sound is poor... I'm thinking on the lines of a cheapish surround sound system

Watch out for intergrated stuff being unnecessarily thirsty with power. Totally agree most small (less than22") flat screens have terrible sound.

I'm still looking for an external HD freeview, thats low power and on 12v, with an HDMi output. All I can find are PVRs though. Got the 1080p video sorted now just need to sort freeview out.

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

I also have that tv. It's great :)

(although since dropping it on the floor the remote stopped working - bah)

I can see why its so cheap...

• ugly looking thing
  • doesnt do 1080p
  • isnt LED backlit
  • not even energy star compliant
  • and the 500:1 contrast was good in 1982 :lol:
  • one that cracks me up is response time... its N/A so I'd guess its pretty crap.
  • 'With 12 volt input making it ideal for use in caravans and motorhomes!'

... well hang on a sec, it might take 12v ok but it also might use 5amps which would make it very UN-'ideal for use in caravans and motorhomes!"

I can see why its so cheap...

• ugly looking thing
  • doesnt do 1080p
  • isnt LED backlit
  • not even energy star compliant
  • and the 500:1 contrast was good in 1982 :lol:
  • one that cracks me up is response time... its N/A so I'd guess its pretty crap.
  • 'With 12 volt input making it ideal for use in caravans and motorhomes!'

... well hang on a sec, it might take 12v ok but it also might use 5amps which would make it very UN-'ideal for use in caravans and motorhomes!"

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion, although I have to admit your review "style" could do with a little polishing, and I suppose it would have helped if you have actually seen the item performing in order to make a balanced judgement. As it is, most of what you posted is gobeledy gook to me, and would not help me choose a new TV. My experience of the Inovations TV is that, apart from the sound, it performs every bit as well as the flat screen TV at home, and I know several people who have the same set and are quite happy with it.

Of course if I had wanted surround sound Home Cinema (not that I do) then I would not have elected to buy this TV, but as all I wanted was a simple, and modestly priced replacement for the old 240v Analogue 3:4 ratio TV (without Scart) and the Humax RF modulating Digi box, both of which had to be run through an Inverter consuming about 9 amps per hour. This TV is compact, with everything in one case, and matches our requirements. And despite your doomed prophecy, it consumes a maximum of 3 amps per hour.

I never had any problems with flat batteries with the old set up, so this one will not cause any concerns. Of course, people who have an undersized battery bank, and a useless charging regime, may still have an issue with 3amps per hour, but that is a problem with their Boat electrics, not the consumption of the TV.

Edited by David Schweizer

I'm surprised no one has warned of the dangers of running equipment directly from the batteries, equipment which was not designed to be operated as such.

Just because an item has has a 12 volt input on it does NOT mean it is safe to operate from a 12 volt battery bank which has all sorts of nasty high voltage spikes on it.

Before someone says (which I know they will) "But mine has been ok", that is statistically worthless and you might as well save your fingers. It is no use whatsoever to the bloke whose 200 quid telly blows up.

The subject has been covered many times on this forum.

I'm surprised no one has warned of the dangers of running equipment directly from the batteries, equipment which was not designed to be operated as such.

Just because an item has has a 12 volt input on it does NOT mean it is safe to operate from a 12 volt battery bank which has all sorts of nasty high voltage spikes on it.

Before someone says (which I know they will) "But mine has been ok", that is statistically worthless and you might as well save your fingers. It is no use whatsoever to the bloke whose 200 quid telly blows up.

The subject has been covered many times on this forum.

I sort-of agree with you ... but what else would a 12v tv be intended to operate from? A car / motorhome supply is surely just as noisy as a boat. I suppose there would be a "safe" 12v-ish supply if the TV was connected to a battery that was connected to nothing else. In practice I reckon if the 12v system fried a TV I would expect a refund.

Of course if the TV was designed to run off the mains via an external adapter/regulator that happened to produce 12v I would not consider it suitable for a battery supply.

Edited by Robin2