River Canal Rescue

Midnight Rider

Featured Posts

It has surprised me that boat engineers/boatyards all around the country haven't got together and started up an alternative scheme. On the roads we have the AA, RAC and Green Flag. The competition is keeping costs down a bit.

It would be healthy to have an alternative to RCR. Offering pre BSC checks would bring in work too. If I was younger, I'd have a go.

Tone (retired)

It would seem that prices at RCR have gone up by £45

They are now including a non optional parts cover on all grades of membership except the retainer.

However, a lot of the things that are likely to stop the boat are not included, such as cables.

A good change or not?

Tony

Not seen their prices but I noticed a few months ago that one insurance company was offering free RCR membership with their policy. Seems a bit of a cheek - I wonder how much that puts on the premium.

No disrespect to anyone here, but if I were even more of a cynical old so-and-so, I'd be thinking it was something to do with some RCR members relying on the service to rescue them instead of attending to proper servicing and maintenance in the first place - and having enough spares to be able to replace anything reasonably capable of being replaced.

Example - I had a Morse cable break on me, but having a spare, I was able to replace it myself canalside. (OK - I was only half a mile from our home mooring, so I limped back at idle speed then fixed it, but the point remains...)

I appreciate that there are quite a few boaters with little mechanical aptitude, but I do wonder how may of us could but won't get our hands dirty?

More callouts = higher premiums and/or less comprehensive cover.

• Greenie 1

I may be reading this wrong, but it does not seem that they have reduced the cover, actually the opposite as it now includes certain parts. The rub being that there is an increase in the premium, and you have no choice as to it you want the additional parts coverage or not.

So it is increase in premium with more comprehensive cover, therefore personal circumstances dictate it you think that extra cover is worth it or not. I don't think it puts me off, but perhaps more people will drop the level of cover from silver to bronze etc in light of this.

No disrespect to anyone here, but if I were even more of a cynical old so-and-so, I'd be thinking it was something to do with some RCR members relying on the service to rescue them instead of attending to proper servicing and maintenance in the first place - and having enough spares to be able to replace anything reasonably capable of being replaced.

Well, I have been a member for 5 years & no call outs, so I suppose the maintenance can't be too bad.

However, I don't carry much in the way of spares, so I may carry belts, filters etc & rely on RCR for the things that they cover.

However, I would think that they may lose some custom or people may change to 'retainer'

Tony

Example - I had a Morse cable break on me, but having a spare, I was able to replace it myself canalside. (OK - I was only half a mile from our home mooring, so I limped back at idle speed then fixed it, but the point remains...)

I appreciate that there are quite a few boaters with little mechanical aptitude, but I do wonder how may of us could but won't get our hands dirty?

There are those who, for various reasons, can't work on their own boats.

Also RCR can cover more disastrous problems than cables, belts and filters.

Tone

Not seen their prices but I noticed a few months ago that one insurance company was offering free RCR membership with their policy. Seems a bit of a cheek - I wonder how much that puts on the premium.

I got a quote the other day as they offered free RCR membership with insurance (followed a link from the RCR website). The policy is with Zurich through Navigators and General. When I delved a little deeper, it is only the 'retainer' membership that is offered, but was informed that if I wanted to upgrade, RCR would offer 20% discount, once the policy was in force.

The reasoning behind the price hike is sound, so is the service.

I just cannot believe that this has been introduced at a time when everything else has significantly increased (fuel, vat, moorings, etc) everything that is except wages - RCR will think again if they loose lots of members (they've lost me).

Maybe RCR are doing so well out of us that they haven't realised we are in the midst of a financial crisis. Better (or worse for them) still this may prompt some competition which as Tone mentioned will have a constraining effect on fees.

The reasoning behind the price hike is sound, so is the service.

I just cannot believe that this has been introduced at a time when everything else has significantly increased (fuel, vat, moorings, etc) everything that is except wages - RCR will think again if they loose lots of members (they've lost me).

Maybe RCR are doing so well out of us that they haven't realised we are in the midst of a financial crisis. Better (or worse for them) still this may prompt some competition which as Tone mentioned will have a constraining effect on fees.

Or maybe they get so many call outs they lose money on each one. Just think, join RCR and save cash/skimp on maintenance, as if it breaks RCR will sort it for FREE.

I am with Navigators and General. They are offering free Retainer membership with their policy this year. My premium with them is very competitive, and they have given me special terms increasing my contents cover for nothing. Therefore when I renewed my RCR policy in December, they deducted part of the cost from the renewal.

I also noticed that the have increased renewals by including the non option parts thing. This increase will make me think very seriously about renewal next year.

I think it should be an option not compulsory.

K

join RCR and save cash/skimp on maintenance, as if it breaks RCR will sort it for FREE.

That's my point I don't skimp on maintenance, carry lot's spares including belts, cables and an alternator. OK they will sort it out, but it will cost an additional £45.

I have been a member for 5 years had one callout for a morse cable. If I don't breakdown for another 5 years I can save enough for a gearbox :cheers:

As someone without the nous/time/inclination (take your pick!) to get too personally involved with the mechanics of my boat, I think it's a good deal for the peace of mind. It's not much more than a pint a month (southern prices :angry:). :cheers:

As someone without the nous/time/inclination (take your pick!) to get too personally involved with the mechanics of my boat, I think it's a good deal for the peace of mind. It's not much more than a pint a month (southern prices :angry:). :cheers:

Yes it is a good deal for you, but too costly for me ;)

It doesnt make any odds. Our premium with N&G was very competitive this year (£160 including coastal use) and includes the RCR retainer cover. This is quite a decrease in cost from the previous year. We had considered not bothering with RCR cover at all this year but as it came with the insurance we now obviously have it albeit the very basic cover.

================

First off I am not a member of RCR, or have any vested involvement, but have met and discussed "user interest" with them,

they have seen call outs to fix "service Issues" rise considerbaly,

eg to fix items that should have sorted on a thorough service. eg replace worn belts, check cables/controls for wear and replace/adjust, check that batteries are in good condition, cables clean/tidy and so forth.

it seems to them at times people are skimping on servicing or just realise what it takes to maintain a boat in good order so that it dosnt breakdown when your out, so they are getting more calls than planned/budgeted for, sor adjusting their fees to cover the use needs/cost drivers is a logical response..

For more serious issues, blown engine, fuel contamination, etc where it probably couldnt be reasonably forseen then having their capability to be rescued/supported at short notice seems attractive,

So perhaps depending on you use of them "reguarily" you may be driving the costs up to the detrement of others,, than more thoroughly service/check their boats on a regulas basis

o.k. i understand that RCR may need to increase their membership due to some members not servicing their boats properly, but to penalise those that do service their boats so that they can subsidise those that don`t, seems unfair. maybe if they came up with a no claims scheme, perhaps this would be fairer system. this may encourage members to try and fix minor problems themselves.

maybe if they came up with a no claims scheme, perhaps this would be fairer system.

I would agree with that.

BTW, I shall ensure that my boat is properly maintained, I just won't be doing it myself (for a while).

o.k. i understand that RCR may need to increase their membership due to some members not servicing their boats properly, but to penalise those that do service their boats so that they can subsidise those that don`t, seems unfair. maybe if they came up with a no claims scheme, perhaps this would be fairer system. this may encourage members to try and fix minor problems themselves.

Yes, I would agree with this.

RCR have obviously worked out that most of their call outs involve, cables. belts, fiters etc which are not covered, so the increase will be a vast boost to their coffers.

A 'no claims' discount would be a fairer way.

Tony

It was inevitable, from the day that RCR started that it would turn this way.

What started as an emergency service turns into a "why should we bother with the engine, that's why we pay RCR"

It was inevitable, from the day that RCR started that it would turn this way.What started as an emergency service turns into a "why should we bother with the engine, that's why we pay RCR"

Is there a parallel with the AA/RAC, and is this why Green Flag cover is so much cheaper?

I have no objection to anyone paying to have a proper service done (on boat or car, for that matter), and wasn't necessarily advocating self-servicing, but that fact remains that if maintenance is skimped, someone is going to pay for it sooner or later - probably the owner, mainly.

As regards RCR membership, yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice.

Is there a parallel with the AA/RAC, and is this why Green Flag cover is so much cheaper?

Allegedly because they don't employ their own patrols but rather relay on contracts with garages in localities or patches.

Doesn't seem to affect service quality - been with GF for years and on the odd time I have had to call them they have never failed to get to me quickly nor resolve the problem promptly too...

Edited by MJG