BSS problems. Advice/comments please

headjog

Featured Posts

Headjog

If you have not managed to get the work done by next weekend Feb 12th then I will come across and do the clipping work and adequately shielding the cables etc for you at no cost, purely because both the below mentioned bandits are taking the p**s.

You are a star!

Headjog --- is the boatyard on the Coventry Canal?

Tony

Headjog

If you have not managed to get the work done by next weekend Feb 12th then I will come across and do the clipping work and adequately shielding the cables etc for you at no cost, purely because both the below mentioned bandits are taking the p**s.

I was trying very hard not to say that, but I'm glad you did.

And yeah, good point, where is this? I am free this weekend to hand screwdrivers and spanners around, drink tea and look menacing.

If it's your friends working on the boat, they can't demand any fees for "contractors" on site, can they?

Or if all else fails moor it on the cut right by the Marina entrance and get the work done there.

Yes Tony, just along from Fradley Junction. We could have gone there, but there's no security, we thought this would be better. ;)

Sorry gal, I don't understand. I was just wondering if you are paying for moorings at the same boatyard that is offering to do the work?

If so, it just confirms my opinion of the guy in charge.

Tony

• Greenie 1

Are these acceptable for securing gas pipes on the inside of a steel hull

I used them on a heater installation for the gas supply pipe and inlet/exhaust hoses. Passed a Gas Certificate, although not been subject to BSS yet. They are OK, provided that they aren't under too much strain. I use screws as well as the adhesive for fixing.

I have been told that electrical cable clips are acceptable as well.

Iain

Sorry gal, I don't understand. I was just wondering if you are paying for moorings at the same boatyard that is offering to do the work?

If so, it just confirms my opinion of the guy in charge.

Tony

Sorry Tony, didn't explain myself very well.

We looked at all the yards within easy reach.Kings Bromley, Great haywood, Barton Turns, were all too expensive, We ruled Fradley out because of the on-line mooring & no security, So moved down the Coventry to the next place. It sits on the A38,bad access off it, but gated. You must know it, if you're fairly local,

Sorry Tony, didn't explain myself very well.

We looked at all the yards within easy reach.Kings Bromley, Great haywood, Barton Turns, were all too expensive, We ruled Fradley out because of the on-line mooring & no security, So moved down the Coventry to the next place. It sits on the A38,bad access off it, but gated. You must know it, if you're fairly local,

Yes Headjog, I know it --- opinion confirmed, thanks.

Tony

Thanks Hermit, have already Pm'd Pink. don't think he/she understands how tight the access really is. However, I'm good at being told what to do by someone who knows what they're doing, if the distance isn't too far.

I'll have a look at some clips & such in the meantime.

Well, it might be a case of removing some stuff and then replacing it afterwards, but if you don't have an hourly rate to worry about that doesn't matter so much, does it?

It's amazing what can be done if you're stubborn enough, but for everything else, there's power tools.

Well, it might be a case of removing some stuff and then replacing it afterwards, but if you don't have an hourly rate to worry about that doesn't matter so much, does it?

It's amazing what can be done if you're stubborn enough, but for everything else, there's power tools.

Oooooo. Good point. Headjog, are you allowed to work on your own boat in your marina? Otherwise, you're going to go for a short trip up the cut

Richard

I used them on a heater installation for the gas supply pipe and inlet/exhaust hoses. Passed a Gas Certificate, although not been subject to BSS yet. They are OK, provided that they aren't under too much strain. I use screws as well as the adhesive for fixing.

Iain

Only if used with screws, not nails

Steady, Richard.

Pinkatpole's genius suggestion, not mine.

We'd all been missing the obvious.

Just to be sure, my point was that if the marina are going to be arsy over which BSS inspector you use, they may be equally arsy if you try to work on your own boat, or get a mate in to do it

Now, if you've already got that covered, that's good

Richard

Moored 6" away from the Marina entrance, crosswise, with mud weights?

Yep, *check*

In seriousness, yes we could move it onto the cut if necessary. Power might be an issue, but hey we have a genny.

Oh, it's a gas genny. And we're working on..?

B*gger.

The serious answer is...

Jigsaw out anything which can't otherwise be moved, using the genny for power. Then disconnect the gas, do the detail work, reconnect the gas, and do the rest with the genny.

I'd be prepared to take my chances with the short section of pipe to the genny without the BS number. Daring, I know.

On this same vein (and here I 'm showing my ignorance of BSS inspections having never been subjected to one!), would it not be possible to support the pipes in the gas locker by glueing with a suitable high tech adhesive, a piece of plywood to the steel and then clipping the pipe to that? This would save the more costly welding plus paint damage.

I've glued bits of wood for temporary purposes inside our shell using ordinary "NO more nails". When taking these off later I had to chisel the wood off, the glue still held and it was the wood that broke. Strong enough to hold a gas pipe surely?

Richard

I used Marinflex to stick pieces of marineply into the locker onto which the pipe clips are screwed. I did the same under the gunwhale between the locker to the cabin. Marineflex takes a day to go off and the areas to be bonded should be wiped clean with white spirit first. I wouldn't use anything other than marineflex or sikaflex for this. Adhesives such as no more nails aren't flexible and cannot accommodate the different expansion and contraction of steel and wood. Also they generally go brittle and powdery after a while.

My BSS inspector said I'd done a fine job.

Edited by blackrose

Several of my gas pipe clips are also attached to a wooden batten that is fixed to the metal with Sikaflex. It has passed several BSS inspections like this.

One thought, some BSS examiners are prepared to issue the "pass" certificate on the basis of photographic evidence (including receipts for hoses), without the need for a revisit or additional fee. I have had a pass issued in this way once on my own boat. It may be worth proposing this to your inspector.

Thanks Hermit, have already Pm'd Pink. don't think he/she understands how tight the access really is. However, I'm good at being told what to do by someone who knows what they're doing, if the distance isn't too far.

I'll have a look at some clips & such in the meantime.

Thanks for the offer Hermit. Looks like we have a bit of a party next weekend.

Im only half hour a way by van so distance is no problem

Lets see what we can arrange

Sorry you guys, have had a LONG day, Vets, GP, Pharmacy,Dentist-(where I sat next to the woman in front of me, singing 'Ten green bottles'with her, to stop her hyperventilating & doing a runner!) back to vet to collect two poorly cats,who both needed ops (middle girl's copped for the bill with her Christmas bonus)After which I hit coma-mode for a couple of hours, So I haven't done much today re boat.

Keeps. not sure this guy would settle for that. His original price for retest was £30 + 20 milelage + VAT - No mention of extra for the certificate. Now it's £40+ VAT+ £40 for cert - no mileage, but have to run it there & back.(I should grow a spine, like Chris suggested, but I'm at the age where I share it with the kids, we decide it isn't worth the upset, add his name to the long list of "complete A****" & just let go of it again)

Anyway Pink's suggested another alternative, which I quite fancy.

Have a chap moored next door to us, who had been checking the boat at intervals, until the boat yard took the key off him, Claire was supposed to ring him when he was home from work, to check the 'working on own boat' bit, but forgot because of the state the cats were in, sorry. She is going to do it tomorrow. I have seen a woman there, doing welding (I was well impressed),I'm sure she was working on her own boat, but will get it confirmed for sure.

Sueb. He might be registered, but he certainly isn't on the list, maybe he doesn't do jobs other than on this site?

Edited by headjog

Only if used with screws, not nails

Nothing was said to me about replacing the nails with screws. That said, I have used them in the past (with the nails, but obviously avoiding hitting the pipe with the hammer :rolleyes: ). There were a couple that failed. In each case, it was the plastic that went, and, to be honest, I don't think they're man enough for the job.

Iain

If you hav'nt located BS3212 hose yet these people list them

http://www.bes.co.uk/products/066.asp

just a question of size / fittings

springy

I Think it looks like one of those pigtail things, but I didn't take a photo of the gennie. Can't do it tomorrow, because the car's gone for an MOT & I won't get it back until tomorrow evening. I have a folder with all the manuals for items installed but can't find it - I suspect I took it up to the boat, before Christmas, on one of our trips to run the engine- in case I needed to find out how to work something. I know we had the Alde boiler one out recently when trying to figure out why it wouldn't fire up.