Residential marinas

Wishihadaname

Featured Posts

Don't think you will ever see them advertised as the 'grapevine' works very well in this area

When a new marina opens, there is often a press release saying x berths of which x are for residential boats

You could always become a liveaboard and many narinas allow this status

bwml

Do have a limited number of residential moorings

the number varies by location, sometimes a waiting list, sometimes not,

facilities generally ok, but "management targeted with increasing revenmue over inflation"

BWML marinas usually do. I've had friends move in on Leisure moorings and then grab the residential ones when they come up.

Some BW marinas also have residential berths and these are advertised on the auction site. You can search here: https://www.bwmooringvacancies.com/search/index.php

Otherwise it's probably worth contacting the marinas in your chosen area and asking what moorings they offer.

Good luck :)

When making enquiries, I would avoid using the terms 'live aboard' or 'residential' at all costs.

Just enquiries with the owners/managers as to the restrictions on staying on board. Also try to speak to other moorers & find out what the situation is.

Some marinas have 'high users rates' which seems to accept that people are living there.

Unless it's offically residential you will need a land based postal address & you will have no security of tenure.

Tony

...and most of them keep quiet about it?

:cheers:

Good point.

For some reason people feel the need to use Liveaboard or residential, it tends to be newbies who in fairness dont know the system. You takes a berth and say nowt and no one cares. Who is to say what constitutes residential ? different people have different leisure time as a for instance this year I am taking a six month holiday cos I can, so if I wanted to stay in one Marina ( Heaven forbid ) would that make me residential ? I think not.

When making enquiries, I would avoid using the terms 'live aboard' or 'residential' at all costs.

Just enquiries with the owners/managers as to the restrictions on staying on board. Also try to speak to other moorers & find out what the situation is.

Some marinas have 'high users rates' which seems to accept that people are living there.

Unless it's offically residential you will need a land based postal address & you will have no security of tenure.

Tony

that is absolutely correct, as newbies ourselves we went to a marina asking for a winter mooring for liveaboards, we said 5 months but they told us we can change it to 12 months at anytime if we like, but i said we are liveaboards, they basically explained they not allowed 12 month residential, but the rules are 1 month away from your boat and they cant collect your mail etc, so also said its most likely anyone living aboard will be away from there boat for that period anyway and wasnt bothered about it but cant advertise it that way..

that is absolutely correct, as newbies ourselves we went to a marina asking for a winter mooring for liveaboards, we said 5 months but they told us we can change it to 12 months at anytime if we like, but i said we are liveaboards, they basically explained they not allowed 12 month residential, but the rules are 1 month away from your boat and they cant collect your mail etc, so also said its most likely anyone living aboard will be away from there boat for that period anyway and wasnt bothered about it but cant advertise it that way..

To add to that we are there now, i would say at a guess there are about 2oo boats here and would say around 20% of them have liveaboards on them, but i guess like most of us, we will be gone come easter..