Live Webcam of attempts to slavage capsized Rhine barge

Neil TNC

Featured Posts

Seen on another group:

The barge contains sulphuric acid. It capsized near the Lorelei

upstream & south of Koblenz.

The Rhine is blocked to barges trying to go upstream. 400 barges are waiting for

the barge to be removed. It isn't obvious to me why they can't operate an

alternating one way system, but who am I to know?

German webcam site linky

A lot of head scratching! :lol:

Could well be.

The Rhine was in flood at the time of the original incident. Delays have been caused because the Crane Barges were unable to pass through Duisberg Railway Bridge due to the high water levels. That section of river is the most dangerous on the Rhine because of the narrow channel and submerged rocks so is a controlled passage area anyway. I imagine the navigational problems caused by the high flow rate still evident in the pictures prevent light barges being able to safely navigate past the obstruction. Making sure that none of the acid leaks out will be causing the salvage team to be extremely cautious in any lifting manouvre

Some of the 400 + barges that have been held up by the sinking have finally been allowed to proceed downstream following yesterday's test runs. MS Waldhof is still partially blocking the channel, but the risk of explosion from hydrogen seems to have been contained and pumping the acid out of the tanks is proceeding. Container traffic has been particularly restricted by the accident as there is insufficient capacity on the railway to transfer the loads.