Crossing the Wash

NBOusedunit

Featured Posts

Yes but it isnt shorter than most of the cruisers that go through. He still makes them wait for a level. There are far more cruisers go than way than narrowboats, although if the new link is ever finished that may well change. Not sure if that is a good thing though :huh:

How could that not be a good thing???

How could that not be a good thing???

The amount of narrowboatists who get themselves into trouble on the relatively quiet and benign tidal Trent (Cromwell to Torksey) is bad enough. Start setting them loose in Boston Docks and who knows what will happen. In theory the link is great and will bring some much needed funding and visitors to the area, in practice it really is a recipe for disaster. It might only be a short tidal trip from the Grand Sluice to the Black Sluice but it is at times a busy one with commercial and fishing vessels.

The amount of narrowboatists who get themselves into trouble on the relatively quiet and benign tidal Trent (Cromwell to Torksey) is bad enough. Start setting them loose in Boston Docks and who knows what will happen. In theory the link is great and will bring some much needed funding and visitors to the area, in practice it really is a recipe for disaster. It might only be a short tidal trip from the Grand Sluice to the Black Sluice but it is at times a busy one with commercial and fishing vessels.

Sorry mate but what a load of rubbish

which bit?

All of it there are as many other craft as narrowboats run into trouble on the trent,also fishing and commercial vessels are few and far between in Boston and easier to avoid on a narrower craft surly.On a personal note we have never had trouble on either

All of it there are as many other craft as narrowboats run into trouble on the trent,also fishing and commercial vessels are few and far between in Boston and easier to avoid on a narrower craft surly.On a personal note we have never had trouble on either

Fishing and commercial craft are few an far between. One of us must have been somewhere else then because Boston has a very healthy fishing fleet and the commercial craft are also quite prevelant around the docks. Hence them being docks!!

We have encountered far more narrowboats grounded/beached on the Trent than any other type/genre of vessel always on completely the wrong side of the river. Obviously no need for the charts :rolleyes:

The tidal witham may seem gentle but there is quite a tidal range and the tide flows very fast through the docks. Plenty quick enough to land the unwary in trouble and you really need some grunt to push your way back against the tide.

There are some narrowboatists as you call them who shouldn't be allowed out alone. There are equally some who are more than capable and competent. I can assure you that there are equally inexperienced and incompetent boaters among those who choose to own motor boats. It is a shame that you feel you have to make such wild generalisations.

Howard

There are some narrowboatists as you call them who shouldn't be allowed out alone. There are equally some who are more than capable and competent. I can assure you that there are equally inexperienced and incompetent boaters among those who choose to own motor boats. It is a shame that you feel you have to make such wild generalisations.

Howard

Im sure there are but of all the boats we have seen stranded/beached/in serious trouble they have been narrowboats and we are not talking of small incidents, these have been major incidents.

Im sure there are but of all the boats we have seen stranded/beached/in serious trouble they have been narrowboats and we are not talking of small incidents, these have been major incidents.

You posted quite a long time ago saying that you were not a proper trent boater till you have been grounded insinuating you have.We have come accross quite a few cruisers not grounded but drifting after smashing there props off

You posted quite a long time ago saying that you were not a proper trent boater till you have been grounded insinuating you have.We have come accross quite a few cruisers not grounded but drifting after smashing there props off

We have briefly paid a few visits to Normanton Island yes. But by brief we do mean clipped not grounded/beached with no hope of a swift recovery like this:

boat_rescue_020.jpg

or even this

DSC06899.jpg

PS: You dont smash props off, you damage them. To smash them off you would be nigh on impossible.

• 2 weeks later...

Phylis

You never answered this, so I don't know what charts you're using.

However, you might like to know that there have been some recent preliminary corrections on BA1200 in week 11 (NM1507/11) and I've just corrected my copy up to the latest Notice-to-Mariners.

Since the chart was issued last year, a few of the buoys have moved and in some cases removed.

It can be very frustrating to look for buoys as marks, that appear on a chart, but are in reality no longer there and I know from experience that it starts causing doubt when you are cross referencing observations and things don't match up.

One of the channel buoys that I was originally intending to use as a waypoint for a planned approach into Kings Lynn was moved down channel, which has caused me to modify my route slightly.

If you don't correct your charts, you wouldn't know until you get there and then you have the dilemma of believing your GPS or your chart as they will be telling you different things.

BA 1200: "The Wash Ports".

Edition Date: 20100114 - Jan 2010

Corrected to latest NM Number: 201100308 NM308/11

Regarding Holbeach Firing Practice Area, read notes under FIRING PRACTICE AREA

What charts are you using ?

Edited by NB Willawaw

Phylis

You never answered this, so I don't know what charts you're using.

However, you might like to know that there have been some recent preliminary corrections on BA1200 in week 11 (NM1507/11) and I've just corrected my copy up to the latest Notice-to-Mariners.

Since the chart was issued last year, a few of the buoys have moved and in some cases removed.

It can be very frustrating to look for buoys as marks, that appear on a chart, but are in reality no longer there and I know from experience that it starts causing doubt when you are cross referencing observations and things don't match up.

One of the channel buoys that I was originally intending to use as a waypoint for a planned approach into Kings Lynn was moved down channel, which has caused me to modify my route slightly.

If you don't correct your charts, you wouldn't know until you get there and then you have the dilemma of believing your GPS or your chart as they will be telling you different things.

Sorry i missed this one the first time around. We are also on the 2010 charts but do as a matter of course update the buoyage locations before we go out. You can get up to date bouy locations from the port authorities.

Most of them are visible in good conditions from the previous buoy but it is off course handy to have the right locations incase visibility reduces.

We have briefly paid a few visits to Normanton Island yes. But by brief we do mean clipped not grounded/beached with no hope of a swift recovery like this:

boat_rescue_020.jpg

or even this

DSC06899.jpg

PS: You dont smash props off, you damage them. To smash them off you would be nigh on impossible.

Looks like an opportunity to do some blacking, well on the front half anyway :unsure:

• 4 years later...

Can anybody help. Late in the summer of 2011 we want to cross The Wash, in our 58ft narrowboat, from either the River Great Ouse or River Nene, to Boston.

Has anybody done it?

Does anybody have information about requirements, Pilots etc.?

Would anybody be interested in forming a small party to make the journey with a suitable pilot

Hope people will be interested.

I am reasonably experienced on tidal waters having done the Thames from Limehouse to Teddington and back, the Trent from Keadby upstream stopping at the Chesterfield from upstream and downstream, The Severn to Gloucester, the Ribble LInk, the New Bedford River and the Yorkshire Ouse.

The Wash would however be something totally different with its passage through open water.

Can anybody help. Late in the summer of 2011 we want to cross The Wash, in our 58ft narrowboat, from either the River Great Ouse or River Nene, to Boston.

Has anybody done it?

Does anybody have information about requirements, Pilots etc.?

Would anybody be interested in forming a small party to make the journey with a suitable pilot

Hope people will be interested.

I am reasonably experienced on tidal waters having done the Thames from Limehouse to Teddington and back, the Trent from Keadby upstream stopping at the Chesterfield from upstream and downstream, The Severn to Gloucester, the Ribble LInk, the New Bedford River and the Yorkshire Ouse.

The Wash would however be something totally different with its passage through open water.

A very useful thread with links here from someone who has done it this year, not someone (Phylis/NaughtyCal) who doesn't like narrowboats and is still 3 years on trying to produce her eagerly awaited instruction manual on how to open a swing bridge.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=76474&hl=%2Bthe+%2Bwash

• 3 years later...

Sooo... having just read this entire thread with fascination - did the much debated 2011 NB crossing ever happen?

Would love to know whether it came off or whether there's a boat still on a sandbank somewhere.... ?

We're on the Thames.

We passed a boat yesterday, 'Sunrise' or 'Sunshine' I think the name was.

The steerer shouted "Are you the boat that is planning a Wash crossing?"

Well, yes. we are. In the company of the Moomins on 'Melaluca', of this parish.

But how did they know?

11 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes, those have been useful. Thank you.

We're planning a Boston - Wisbech transit in the later June tidal window. Same as the SPCC but not with them (if you see what I mean)

Daryl has been booked and good weather prayed for.

See you in Boston?

I hope so. I have just been testing my new Fenland flag, which arrived in the post this week.  I may have clicked the wrong size on the website ...DSC_1774.JPG.60933ec515d6a05a96d6706fb37ba358.JPG