Stoppage - Shropshire Union

Philip

Featured Posts

Just to let you know the boatyard (Chas. Hardern) informed us that Wharton Lock (Bridge 108) will be having repairs done to the back gates.

BW haven't set a specific date for the work, but it's likely to be any time this month. The reason is a leak with the back gates and so any time ths month they'll close the lock and fix the problem.

Apparently they're just turning up and doing it, although the hire base will be given a weeks notice.

Just to let you know, Wharton lock will be shut at some time this month for a repair to the back gates, a date hasn't been set though.

Edited by Philip

I will, we're planning a weekend trip to Chester and back anyway in a couple of weeks, so we'll know more I would think next week.

Where are you starting from Philip?

Bunbury is on stoppage until 10th March.

And Beeston Stone is on stoppage until 17th February.

Edited by dor

Where are you starting from Philip?

Bunbury is on stoppage until 10th March.

And Beeston Stone is on stoppage until 17th February.

Beeston Castle Wharf, Chas. Hardern - they keep their 50 footer Myrddin available for hire all year round - at least we're not spoilt for choice and I've not been to Chester via canal for 15 years or so.

I knew about Bunbury, but thanks for the information about Beeston, I knew it was sometime this month, 17th to be precise then. It's having new back gates and the pound is drained between the stone lock and the iron lock, at least it was last weekend.

Edited by Philip

I'm having a bit of a worry too!

We are hiring a boat for a week out of Anderton Marina, going down the Trent and Mersey via the Wardle Branch onto the Shropshire Union to Chester and Ellesmere Port. We will be leaving on the 11 March 2006. I note that the stoppages are due to be finished on the 10 March. Can anyone advise how promptly BW lift restrictions? Do they often overrun?

I saw that Middlewich Big Lock (Bridge 172a) was also closed until the 10 March.

(I managed to fall in here last September just after Big Lock - tryng to hop onto a moving boat ) :)

Many thanks for anyone's thoughts.

Chrissie

Hi Christine,

The 10th March is a Friday, I would of thought BW would try hard to get it sorted before the weekend, but repairs have been known to over run the dates given.

Try calling BW North West, and just play it by ear.

I went to Audlem on Saturday. It said on Waterscape restrictions and stoppages that work finished on the locks this Friday 10th, with new gates being fitted.

Well, there are no new gates on any of them, no work or anything, no sign of any gates about to be replaced, which I found bizarre.

I can't believe that they'd leave it all to the last week.

http://www.waterscape.com/boating/stoppage...Find+Stoppages+

Edited by Philip

You have much to learn!

Yes but what have they been doing for the last month?

I suppose it could have been an unexpected, emergency repair needed, although I haven't heard anything. I go there regularly and have done this winter - there were boats working the flight a month back.

Even so, they've changed a lot of top gates on the flight over the last two, or three years. About 7 have been replaced since 2002.

Still got a bit of learning to do then...?

Daniel

It's happened before. There was a culvert collapse once a few years ago around Cheswardine, the canal was closed below towards Nantwich - the locks were drained and shut over the festive period.

All back to normal now .. they have said that they were changing the lock gates for 3 years but not done.

This year i think they have stoped the leaking gates above the pub that have been leaking bad from last years repaires also they have stoped the leak from the pound by the pub + a lot of cutting back of trees etc.

Now there is no movement on the canal i can see the bottom. just 12 inches below the water . and as my boat is drawing 34 inches it is no wonder it is stuck.

Last year, when the Bridgewater sprung a leak at Castlefields due to the faulty sluice.. 40 miles of Canal was drained as there's no locks..

A picture of the boat on the same moorings as us..

breach1.jpg

We were stuck on the bottom for about 3 weeks. My boat wasn't too bad, as it's only 30ft and empty at the time but even mine was stuck solid. It was in the middle of the summer holidays too, which must of stopped loads of people from cruising, and the ones which were already out, must of ruined their time.

Eventually ONE set of stop planks was used (around 2 hours cruising time away from the damaged sluice) and they managed to dump a load of those Travis Perkins bags full of stones and sand in the way. They're still there now over 6 months later.

...It's happened before.

No, i just ment that your still coming up with decent reasons why they might not have done the work. :)

But in fairness, i dont know the whole story, so my comment might be a bit unfair, but still, its BW.

- "Emergencys" do happen, we where stuck down at tarleton for a whole summer when the L&L breached at bursco bridge. :D

Daniel

No, i just ment that your still coming up with decent reasons why they might not have done the work. :)

But in fairness, i dont know the whole story, so my comment might be a bit unfair, but still, its BW.

- "Emergencys" do happen, we where stuck down at tarleton for a whole summer when the L&L breached at bursco bridge. :D

Daniel

Ahh OK. British Waterways do come up with some annoying schemes/notices these days. I tend to like finding reasons for things though.

I'll be going to Audlem again in a few weeks, so that should clear it all up - I hope it's cleared up, we don't won't it to inconvenience anyone planning on going through in the next few weeks.

I might know the situation at Wharton Lock in the next couple of days. If I know anything I'll let you know, hopefully the work won't start next weekend, as we're planning on having a short break down there on that weekend.

Now I have confirmation about the situation. Wharton lock will have repairs done to it, but it will happen once the work at Bunbury has finished, which won't be for another month yet.

I think it makes sense - they'll be keeping one route open while the other route is closed, rather than doing both the work tasks at the same time.