Extra VAT

janto two

Featured Posts

On the brighter side, unless you are spending huge amounts, 2.5% increase is not that draconian. It can be contained with a few smallish cut-backs.

I 'm on state pension and a bit of DLA, but I can still run a live-aboard and a car, although I have cut back on mileage quite a lot due to the hike in fuel costs, that are well over 2.5%, nearer 11%.

But a free bus pass helps. Long may it last. (Some hopes!)

Tone

The VAT increase and increase in inflation have caused the memsahib and myself to think hard about our expenditure. To start off we are closely examining our supermarket receipts which helpfully tells us which purchases upon which we have paid VAT. This week we have, by eliminating a fair amount of frippery we do not really need, paid just less than £3 VAT on a £90+ shopping bill.

Summer holidays will soon be upon us and the Memsahib has expressed a desire to visit Scotland. As it happens we have some acquaintances up there and they are very keen to take up our offer of a lend of their cottage for a lend of our boat. No VAT there then apart from the fuel for travelling.

Sure some VAT cannot be avoided but thinking up ways of avoiding paying it sure is fun and satisfying!.

Innovate and overcome.

Ditchdabbler

Maybe making a new member the butt of jokes because he spelt a word wrong, and marking him down on reputation by three notches is just a little unkind and unwelcoming?

Tone

Ah, but it's ok if you have been here a while Tone? :glare:

I seem to remember you correcting my spelling of vane, vain or vein recently.

Tony

You'll never find a poor pensioner :rolleyes:

I only hope there's a state pension when/if i manage to reach that grand age of 66.

If I give you directions you will be able to find me, then you will have found a poor OAP, the idea that pensioners are all well off is an urban myth.

Agreed that some pensioners may be reasonably well off but the majority "just get by" and a lot struggle.

Phil

The VAT increase and increase in inflation have caused the memsahib and myself to think hard about our expenditure. To start off we are closely examining our supermarket receipts which helpfully tells us which purchases upon which we have paid VAT. This week we have, by eliminating a fair amount of frippery we do not really need, paid just less than £3 VAT on a £90+ shopping bill.

Summer holidays will soon be upon us and the Memsahib has expressed a desire to visit Scotland. As it happens we have some acquaintances up there and they are very keen to take up our offer of a lend of their cottage for a lend of our boat. No VAT there then apart from the fuel for travelling.

Sure some VAT cannot be avoided but thinking up ways of avoiding paying it sure is fun and satisfying!.

Innovate and overcome.

Ditchdabbler

Do you not get pangs of guilt when you say things like that ?

Can you manage to eat all those goodies you brought without getting indigestion. ?

I have never heard anything so blatantly irresponsible.

Hundreds of bankers spent fortunes putting this country where it is now and you don't feel the obligation to help give them another go ?

Shame on you.

I love it when someone picks me up on my spelling, takes me back to the bad old days of boarding school.

:)

PS

Anyone for tennis.

:)

You actually have two sentences separated by a comma there. It might have read better had you used a full stop after 'spelling', and a capital T for 'takes', or inserted the words 'because it' instead of the comma. wink.gif

Tone

You actually have two sentences separated by a comma there. It might have read better had you used a full stop after 'spelling', and a capital T for 'takes', or inserted the words 'because it' instead of the comma. wink.gif

Tone

i wish i cud speek propper like wat u do.

• Greenie 1

As woz poynted owt to me resentllie spelling waz ownli formalized kwite late in our historie so feel free to wryte and spel ennie wey yew pleze. Slyp inn a little francais s'il vous plait or sum deutchespeke Gott in Himmel!!!

"'tis all Greek to me".