Generator oil

Willber G

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I have just bought a Kipor IG2000 genny (I came close to getting the Honda but couldn't justify the expense for occasionl use).

The manual states 10W-30 or 15W-40 oil. Will it be alright to use 10W-40 as I have a stock of that?

Cheers,

Will

Hi all,

I have just bought a Kipor IG2000 genny (I came close to getting the Honda but couldn't justify the expense for occasionl use).

The manual states 10W-30 or 15W-40 oil. Will it be alright to use 10W-40 as I have a stock of that?

Cheers,

Will

Basically - yes - the numbers are the viscosity when new when the oil is cold and hot. e.g. 10W-30 means when its cold its viscosity is "10" and when hot it is "30"

Similarly with 15W-40... what the manufacturer is saying is that oil that is around 10W to 15W when cold and 30W to 40W when hot is OK for this engine...

These figures are when the oil is new - the oil gets mashed up and loses these figures with use anyway so its not an exact science.

If you had the choice, I would use the lower 10W-30 in winter and the other in summer, but the difference it will make you won't ever notice

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx