Winter casualties

Matthew Dowson

Featured Posts

While finally moving LION from its frozen clutches at Kildwick nr Skipton yesterday I saw two sunk boats that appeared to have succumbed to water ingress over the winter. One was quite near to where I had left LION at end of November when the freeze caught me out on my return to Shipley. A smart green cruiser stern called Morning Mist, Gloucester, moored up on the towpath to the east of Kildwick, and a blue cruiser stern on moorings near Silsden. Both were clearly well tended to in the general course of events, and despite tarps over their sterns i would appear that too much water had entered the engine hole over the winter somehow. Seeing the Kildwick boat made my heart race a little as I walked to where LION was moored, but she was fine, just some vandal damage to the stovepipe, and she had been cast adrift at some point as the mooring lies were not as I had left them. So thanks to whoever had re-moored her.

So if anyone knows the boats pas the word along. BW NW were informed today when I booked my passage down the 5 + 3 Rise for next weds AM.

Pics

While finally moving LION from its frozen clutches at Kildwick nr Skipton yesterday I saw two sunk boats <SNIP>

'tis indeed a sickener to nice boats like that in that predicament. It's not as if the owners don't look as if they have made some effort to protect them.

Do they really count as sunk?

Well Morning Mist to me look like she is on the bottom on at least the port side with not much further to go - immaterial to me, she still will have a lot of manky water inside her wrecking the interior...

She also has a water mark around her stern higher than the current level suggesting perhaps she has settled on the bottom and the water level has fallen.

Edited by MJG

Do they really count as sunk?

If the water on the inside is the same level as that on the outside, then they've sunk.

To my knowledge there have been three or four boats sunk due to frost damage in our local area over the past month or so (mostly frozen hoses/seacocks in boats that hadn't been properly winterised). I suspect quite a lot of people had been lulled into a false sense of security by the previous three or four relatively mild winters, and got caught out this time.

I also know of one large (40' by 12'6") GRP cruiser that was sinking due to previously unnoticed hull damage (a smallish crack near the prop, so probably due to a waterlogged lump of wood or something similar hitting the prop and being thrown into the hull). Fortunately she was moored in a reasonably busy boatyard and when the batteries powering the bilge pump finally gave up she was noticed whilst still afloat, although she had a foot or so of water inside her.

Does one only count a boat as being truely sunk when it is like the Orca (offa Jaws)??? :P

One only counts as sunk when it is well sunk.

I wouldnt count either of te two in the OP's post as sunk as there is still a large majority of the vessels above the water line and floating. The bows of both boats are still floating.

Not sure why this one took a liking of the bottom

freema10.jpg

It caused a stir in the marina though

• Greenie 1

The bows of both boats are still floating.

????

Sunken Boat - Kildwick, nr Skipton

The other two shots of this boat don't even show the bows so how are you making that call?

Edited by MJG

Ok, so may I suggest that one classes a boat which has taken water onboard - that is to say it is in places it is NOT supposed to be rather than in the water tank/toilet/kettle/sink/wash basin or anywhere else it is legitimately allowed - BUT it is NOT completely submerged at present due to insufficient water being taken in OR the water is shallow and the boat is already sat on the bed of the waterway as 'sinking' and that which is completely submerged is sunk? :wacko:

Ok, so may I suggest that one classes a boat which has taken water onboard - that is to say it is in places it is NOT supposed to be rather than in the water tank/toilet/kettle/sink/wash basin or anywhere else it is legitimately allowed - BUT it is NOT completely submerged at present due to insufficient water being taken in OR the water is shallow and the boat is already sat on the bed of the waterway as 'sinking' and that which is completely submerged is sunk? :wacko:

Would a sunken sink count as sunk?

• Greenie 2

sorry my definition is if it's on the bottom with water in it it's sunk and aside from that as I already said the point Rachael is making is bloody irrelevant.

If NC was submerged to that degree for what ever reason I don’t think she’d be banging on about whether it fitted any sort of definition of whether it was 'sunk' or not…

sorry my definition is if it's on the bottom with water in it it's sunk and aside from that as I already said the point Rachael is making is bloody irrelevant.

If NC was submerged to that degree for what ever reason I don’t think she’d be banging on about whether it fitted any sort of definition of whether it was 'sunk' or not…

If NC was in the position "Morning Mist" is in, then she wouldnt be sunk. She would have taken on water which is completely different to sinking whoesever world you are in.

• Greenie 2

Can you explain how the mooring rope is holding the bow up?

If we're going to be pedantic, I'm going to agree with Phylis, just for a larf. Sunk means whole boat resting on the bottom. Even water level same on outside and inside doesn't work, because I've been in a dinghy in that state (kept afloat solely by by buoyancy bags) and I wasn't sunk, I was awash.

I also agree that if your boats half full of water you won't be reaching for a dictionary to see how best to describe it.

Hhmm, wouldn't a definition of sunk be that, had the water been deeper, it would have continued on down? These boats appear to have sunk as far as it was physically possible to do so but, had the water been deeper, they would have been out of sight, therefore they are sunk. One could suggest, with some justification, that because the gunwales are still above the surface it should be relatively easy to pump them out and re-float them but that is the only way in which they are different surely? :unsure:

Roger

If we're going to be pedantic, I'm going to agree with Phylis, just for a larf. Sunk means whole boat resting on the bottom. Even water level same on outside and inside doesn't work, because I've been in a dinghy in that state (kept afloat solely by by buoyancy bags) and I wasn't sunk, I was awash.

I also agree that if your boats half full of water you won't be reaching for a dictionary to see how best to describe it.

This thread is in danger of sinking to new depths :P --like several others of late :smiley_offtopic:

From dictionary.com

To sink

–verb (used without object)

1. to displace part of the volume of a supporting substance or object and become totally or partially submerged or enveloped; fall or descend into or below the surface or to the bottom (often fol. by in or into ): The battleship sank within two hours. His foot sank in the mud. Her head sinks into the pillows.

my bold.

This thread is in danger of sinking to new depths :P --like several others of late :smiley_offtopic:

If distance between the bottom of the bottom of the boat and the top of the bottom of the canal is zero and the height of the top of the canal is equal to the height of the top of the water, in the boat then the boat is sunk...or the canal is drained.

I may have to edit this definition, as time goes by.

Edited by carlt

If distance between the bottom of the bottom of the boat and the top of the bottom of the canal is zero and the height of the top of the canal is equal to the height of the top of the water, in the boat then the boat is sunk...or the canal is drained.

I may have to edit this definition, as time goes by.

Or x=y+2z

Or if theres watter in the boat ower the top of yer wellies yer sunk

And either way they are sad photos

Edited by soldthehouse

Phylis, in the picture you don`t say if you think the cruiser has sunk,submerged,taken on water. Perhaps there`s another cruiser beneath it and we could then class it as mating.

At the end of the day any boat with just a couple of inches of water swilling about inside is devastating for it`s owner so let`s not argue definitions of sunk and just sympathise with the owner and be glad it`s not our boat.

Are you psychic then?

How can you tell from those pictures whether the boats are resting on the bottom, or floating with a lot of water in them?

It makes a hell of a difference if it's your boat and you have to refloat it or simply pump water out because there's not a hole under the water - hole either cut or made.

But to pick a silly argument with Phylis about something you know nothing about just makes you look like an idiot, an inexperienced idiot at that.

• Greenie 1