Boating in fog

muddywaters

Featured Posts

When I went out to work this morning it was foggy and got me thinking.

What is the procedure when boating in fog.

Is it best to just moor up and wait for it to clear ?

If you are moving do you put the tunnel light on.

Only really been in this situation once although it was more of a mist than full scale fog.

Going over the aqueduct at Chirk and we decided to play it safe by putting the tunnel light on

We put the navigation lights on.

Some local byelaws indicate that you should sound your horn at regular intervals but im not sure that the owners of waterside property in the area would be too happy with that :blink:

Luckily we are in an area where most boats will be tucked up on their berths at the first sign of fog so we dont have to unduly worry about meeting other boats. :)

Some local byelaws indicate that you should sound your horn at regular intervals but im not sure that the owners of waterside property in the area would be too happy with that :blink:

Luckily we are in an area where most boats will be tucked up on their berths at the first sign of fog so we dont have to unduly worry about meeting other boats. :)

It can be very disorientating can it not particularly on the wider waters.

We once got caught out on the broads - we had to set off to get under Ludham Bridge - patchy mist odd dense patch was the most we encountered until we moved onto Barton Broad - within what seemed like seconds we were consumed by a real pea souper - with nothing to orientate ourselves with I could see us running aground PDQ.

Luckily a local was ploughing across in a much smaller boat and once I'd established he too was going the same way as us we followed him across……

Was a bit panicky for a few secs.

It can be very disorientating can it not particularly on the wider waters.

We once got caught out on the broads - we had to set off to get under Ludham Bridge - patchy mist odd dense patch was the most we encountered until we moved onto Barton Broad - within what seemed like seconds we were consumed by a real pea souper - with nothing to orientate ourselves with I could see us running aground PDQ.

Luckily a local was ploughing across in a much smaller boat and once I'd established he too was going the same way as us we followed him across……

Was a bit panicky for a few secs.

We got trapped in a fog bank on Breydon water and were very lucky to not end up on a sand bank. The marker posts were not within sight of each other due to the density of the fog!!!

Very disorientating to say the least.

On our barge handling courses in France we instruct on lights and shapes that boats should display within the CEVNI rules, and frequently get people who say "Oh I don't need to have lights or know them - I'm never going to boat in the dark". Navigation lights are for use in restricted visibility, and this obviously includes fog. Fog can occur at any time, and on bigger rivers it is not often an option to find an immediate mooring place, so lights and knowledge of which ones mean what are essential here. Although on the larger rivers the commercial ships use radar, that is not often possible on the smaller ones - bridge heights make it impossible to mount a scanner. The ship-to-ship VHF channel is 10, and you listen in to that, and everyone keeps announcing what sort of vessel they are and where - "loaded vessel going downhill leaving such-and-such lock or passing such-and-such bridge". Works very well until you do meet a pleasure craft chanceing his arm by moving without use of radio.

I have occasionally used the automatic fog signal built into the intercom system between the wheelhouse and fore end, but only very rarely. I agree there's an initial feeling of not wanting to upset waterside residents, but at the end of the day if horn signals are required then I give them.

Edited by Tam & Di

A few years ago I had to move Tawny Owl in November form Long Itchington to Braunston.

Very frosty morning and very foggy. She's 70ft, and I probably had about another 70ft visibility in front of her at the most.

Quite eerie, glad I had my mate with me. We went very slow because you just didn't know what that vague shape looming up in front was until you got almost too close to do anything about it.

I think we only met a couple of boats, they didn't have any lights on, but I had my tunnel light on, didn't help me much, but I figured I'd be easier to see.

Of course I could see the banks and couldn't turn so couldn't get lost :P

Sue

Fog is VERY disorientating! Just walking in a straight line in fog is impossible without some aid to orientation. On the canal I would moor as soon as possible, on the lagoon I would put down anchor and wait for a break, at sea I think I might start praying :wacko:

Heading up the Thames in early morning fog with about 30m visibility was a lot of fun!

seconded. we could barely see the end of the cabin when we ventured out. thankfully, there was nobody else on the river, and slowing feeling our way around the bends is one of our most memorable boating experiences so far.

I like the sound of Keeping up's method, though i can't hear anything over the engine, and would probably go for a flag system or pointing fingers. Before we set off, i broke our tunnel light. But to be safe, we borrowed a very bright aldis/spotlight. Our biggest concern was getting rammed by another vessel, not in running ourselves aground.

Not sure how easy it would be on narrower canals, but on the thames, it was great fun.

Happy Days.

Heading up the Thames in early morning fog with about 30m visibility was a lot of fun!

Fog.jpg

What ever do you mean? There was about 20 boats moving on this part of the river - and this was one of the less foggy bits! :-)

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

Not much help but I cannot resist posting this well known sailing anecdote.

Scene: A sailing barge tacking down the Thames at half tide in a 'pea-souper'.

Time: Probably dawn, 19th C.

Crew - two: Cap'n and Cabin Boy (Jimmy).

Jimmy is posted in the bow as lookout.

Cap'n: "What can you see Jimmy"?

Jimmy: "Seagulls Cap'n"!

Cap'n: "What are they doing Jimmy"?

Jimmy: "Swimmin' Cap'n".

. . .

Jimmy: "Seaqulls Cap'n"!

Jimmy: "Swimmin' Cap'n".

. . .

Jimmy: "Seagulls Cap'n"!

Jimmy: "Walkin' Cap'n".

. . .

Cap'n: "Ready-about"!

Oh heffalump. Showing your age. or lack of it.

That is Radar. From the tv series 'Mash'. It was VERY popular a short while before you were born :)

ETA

Mash was Mobile Army Surgical Unit. In the Korean War.and Radar was a corporal who ordered spare parts for Jeeps and posted them home. He intended to have enoughg bits to build a new Jeep when he got home.

Edited by Sunset Rising

Actually radar is effected by fog, and it's effectiveness and sensitivity is vastly reduced.

Mike

But not as reduced as the MkI eyeball.

I was caught once in a fog bank while crossing from Oostende back to Chatham, I was just exiting Sandetti Bank onto the TSS. It was a very weird experience an almost totally calm sea, total wipeout visually and only our little green screen for company.

to quote Stuffy Dowding "Trusting in god and praying for radar"

I seem to recall Col Blake and the rest of the 4077th praying for radar in one episode when he had gone for a bit of R&R

Thanks for the MASH reminder, I've now spent over 24 hours singing 'Suicide is Painless' - damn!And before Heffalump asks, it's the blasted theme tune!(am beginning to wonder if I'm having some deep inner turmoil I haven't consciously registered yet!) :smiley_offtopic:

Edited by headjog

Thanks for the MASH reminder, I've now spent over 24 hours singing 'Suicide is Painless' - damn!And before Heffalump asks, it's the blasted theme tune!(am beginning to wonder if I'm having some deep inner turmoil I haven't consciously registered yet!) :smiley_offtopic:

And to bring it full circle, the opening of the song is

'Through early morning fog I see

visions of the things to be

the pains that are withheld for me

I realize and I can see...' B)

I once had to spend a morning in very thick fog with someone at the front of the boat, which was completely invisible from the stern, shouting "Left a bit, right a bit".

Two way radios?

That's what we use, even in normal weather when one of us is steering and the other is either sitting in the cratch with the dog or doing something useful like working the locks.

Saves a lot of shouting and arm waving.

(Bought 4 on ebay for £5...work fine).

Edited by Québec

A few years ago I had to move Tawny Owl in November form Long Itchington to Braunston.

Dense fog can also occur in midsummer. I remember setting off from Braunston at 4.30 am. A glorious summer dawn. Suddenly I ran into dense fog – and I mean dense, I couldn't see the front of the boat – along the Puddle Banks. Fortunately it only lasted a short while, during which time I had to steer by memory.

Dense fog can also occur in midsummer. I remember setting off from Braunston at 4.30 am. A glorious summer dawn. Suddenly I ran into dense fog – and I mean dense, I couldn't see the front of the boat – along the Puddle Banks. Fortunately it only lasted a short while, during which time I had to steer by memory.

As I said in the OP the only time we have been in any kind of fog was more of a dense mist on a 48ft boat.

You could see the bow while steering but not much after that so had to send Rose up the front.

Crossed the Chirk aqueduct went through the tunnel and it was totally clear at the other end