Recording Stuido Power

Bob Blues

Featured Posts

Well if you are capable of defending your property without the use of a gun, using one cannot beconsidered "minimum force".

Hi Dave thanks for the reply. I think you will find that there has been many cases of people i.e. Farmers with shotgun licenses putting forward a good case in court. Of course we can debate this until the cows come home (pun!) but it will be up to a jury.

There was a case A few years ago when a farmer shot a Gipsy when he tried to burgle his farm for the 3rd or 4th time. He was prosecuted and went to jail because he shot him in the back. That is not defending. However, if you are in serious threat of your life then you have a right to use whatever you want. I have two Masonic swords which I have quite legally if I used them in a situation when my life was in danger of course I would be arrested but it is up to the court to decide.

Thanks for you opinion

Bob B

You can use your 410 after 8pm if that helps.

:)

Oooo thank you Sir! I will pin your reply to my CRB when I submit my application.

Regards.

Bob B

Yes, Thank you for pointing out to the world I suffer from Dyslexia. I tried to erase the post when I saw it but it wouldn’t let me.

I’m sure there are other things you can do other than point out other peoples disabilities. I am also partially deaf from being blown up whist in the service of my country maybe you want to shout this out to every one!

Bob B

Cheap shot.. and no pun intended..... :angry:

Hi Dave thanks for the reply. I think you will find that there has been many cases of people i.e. Farmers with shotgun licenses putting forward a good case in court. Of course we can debate this until the cows come home (pun!) but it will be up to a jury.

There was a case A few years ago when a farmer shot a Gipsy when he tried to burgle his farm for the 3rd or 4th time. He was prosecuted and went to jail because he shot him in the back. That is not defending. However, if you are in serious threat of your life then you have a right to use whatever you want. I have two Masonic swords which I have quite legally if I used them in a situation when my life was in danger of course I would be arrested but it is up to the court to decide.

Part of that decision would be based upon whether you had a legitimate reason for having these weapons.

Now, do you have a legitimate use for a shotgun? Do you havea legitimate use for a Masonic sword?

Yes, Thank you for pointing out to the world I suffer from Dyslexia. I tried to erase the post when I saw it but it wouldn't let me.

I'm sure there are other things you can do other than point out other peoples disabilities. I am also partially deaf from being blown up whist in the service of my country maybe you want to shout this out to every one!

Bob B

Yes, the forum owner suffers from dyslexia as well. Nobody was making a huge deal about a spelling error, but a little gentle ribbing about sentences that don't say what you intended is the way that most online forums work.

You appear to be on something of a short fuse, which doesn't help to get the answers to the questions that you have.

Sorry to hear that you are partially deaf, but given that this is a text forum, and given that the subject isn't about deafness, I do have to ask "what of it?"

• Greenie 2

Never liked Midi driven recording or VST Plugins, it sounds so unnatural.

fair enough, Bob. I used to feel exactly the same way. BUT they have improved considerably over the years. Unless you're an audiophile, i think you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference. Playing though... I do agree there is nothing like slamming the keys on the physical synth.... but then again, you're living on a boat, mate. You are going to have to make some form of compromise. (I now use a korg nanokey for masterkeyboard).

Drummers are supposed to get stomed and screw up hehe!

So? I still get stoned and screw up. I don't miss my room full of synths, or the accompanying huge electricity bill. Could cook toast on the bloody things. Half of

the power was wasted on producing heat. Have you seen the heat sinks in those things?

Depending on your marinas electricity supply, there is still a limit on what you can run whilst plugged into shore power without tripping the bollard.

Point taken. We're 46amps here. Can light the boat up like a christmast tree.

I forgot that other people often get less than this. But I remember a post from LadyMuck a while back, saying that she had a DnB producer on the boat next to her, and he managed to run a full studio. It can be done. But I don't think "whilst on the move" is practical.

Part of that decision would be based upon whether you had a legitimate reason for having these weapons.

Now, do you have a legitimate use for a shotgun? Do you havea legitimate use for a Masonic sword?

He might be a Free Mason with a vermin problem.

:)

I'll leave on the square.

I initially went down the 'real instrument' route...and ended up on a second set of batteries after 2 months !!

Sadly..virtual instruments are the only alternative..

I use a laptop...running VST...and Virtual : Guitarist...drums..bass...hammond B3...and various other virtual types. I also use Reason sequencer which gives some nice orchestral sounds....and I midi 'yoke' that to Cubase...if I want to add real vocals or guitar etc..

Laptop runs into an Alesis IO2 for audio/midi low latency and speakers are some little Alesis..which draw small power but sound pretty good.

I fear (as others said) you just ain't gonna do it on batteries...but...we could be wrong ...

By the way...if you saw the end off the shotgun...you can fit it under the bathroom sink !!

Bob

Edited by Bobbybass

fair enough, Bob. I used to feel exactly the same way. BUT they have improved considerably over the years. Unless you're an audiophile, i think you'd be hard pressed to spot the difference. Playing though... I do agree there is nothing like slamming the keys on the physical synth.... but then again, you're living on a boat, mate. You are going to have to make some form of compromise. (I now use a korg nanokey for masterkeyboard).

So? I still get stoned and screw up. I don't miss my room full of synths, or the accompanying huge electricity bill. Could cook toast on the bloody things. Half of

the power was wasted on producing heat. Have you seen the heat sinks in those things?

The current "studio" is on my public FB page

The Rhodes 73 is in another room along with the rest of my stage kit including the Leslie 860. I am having thoughts about putting a Hammond, Rhodes and a Leslie on one side of the boat.

The DX7 with a E! card is used to control the other rack equipment through Midi that’s about as far as I want to go with it.

Regarding Power, I never run with all of the equipment on all the time. Most of the time it’s just me at the Hammond or Rhodes. The computer has an overclocked QX9650 and a twin GPU graphics card. The SAN and Computer run at 800W when I’m converting a Blu-ray Disk to mkv format the rest of the time it’s 600W. I can bring the power down by running the CPU at normal speed which is good for recording. I can also broadcast from a Laptop as it’s a low power system which will work.

I suppose when I have my friends across from America using the boat for recording they will take some power but I’ll hire a 11KVA Gen

Regards and thanks

Bob B

There is a noise limit whist out on the cut (no engines or generators after 8pm), and you are unlikely to find a Marina that will put up with it after 8pm either.

I assume you meant to say - when moored ? no engines or generators after 8-00pm

There is a noise limit whist out on the cut (no engines or generators after 8pm), and you are unlikely to find a Marina that will put up with it after 8pm either.

I assume you meant to say - when moored ? no engines or generators after 8-00pm

I did indeed.

I had taken it as read that if he wanted to get a STABLE 3G connection, he would of necessity be moored.

He might be a Free Mason with a vermin problem.

That is true, but if he is on a boat,is there anywhere that he might legitimately employ his shotgun to deal with vermin, and would being a Freemason give him a legitimate reason for having a Masonic sword on board?

• Greenie 1

I think this is very unfair,

I post a legitimate question about power and someone take the micky out of me because I got the spelling wrong and I’m the guilty one for responding. Yes I have a short fuse which is why I have packed things up and moved onto a boat.

Bob B

I am having thoughts about putting a Hammond, Rhodes and a Leslie on one side of the boat.

I don't facebook, so couldn't see the pic. but that's a lot of expensive kit. my rule of thumb is "don't put anything on the boat that you couldn't live without if it got nicked". If i had those babies onboard, i'd probably never leave. The image of some toerag struggling down the towpath with a Hammond is amusing, though I wouldn't wish it on you.

The DX7 with a E! card is used to control the other rack equipment through Midi thats about as far as I want to go with it.

fair enough. i don't read music, and always thought of midi as my friend.

good luck with living on the water, though. it's very relaxing, and after

what you've been through, it sounds like you deserve a bit of chillage.

:cheers:

Edited by kendo

You might also want to think of the ambient noise outside your boat.....both for making your recordings if you use microphones rather than line out...and also the noise produced that might annoy others......

I also agree with others....you will need a genny to sustain that amount of power use....and a well cocooned one at that! I would be looking at a 1500rpm diesel unit with a water separated exhaust

HTH

Gareth.

I think this is very unfair,

I post a legitimate question about power and someone take the micky out of me because I got the spelling wrong and I'm the guilty one for responding. Yes I have a short fuse which is why I have packed things up and moved onto a boat.

Bob B

Bob,

that is what online forums are like. It is really no different from having a chat with a few blokes at the pub. If you use the wrong word, or said something that didn't mean what you meant it to mean, somebody might say something.

It wouldn't be an attack, or intended to hurt or offend, just a bit of gentle ribbing, and that is what happened here.

Re-read that comment. If you REALLY think that the comment was out of order, and that people telling you to lighten up are in the wrong then internet forums are not going to be a comfortable place for you. If, on the other hand, you look again, and think that on reflection it was just a throwaway comment in a light hearted discussion and that you shouldn't take it to heart, you will have taken a step forward in understanding discussion on the net, and all will be well.

BOB,,

Ive said it several times before, too others, but didnt you do any research first before getting a boat and then trying to get the limited battery / electrics to produce an amount of power that most boaters just dont need,

Yr sense of reality is a tadge distorted - take a long an 11kw generator,,, hope you have a suitable deck space, mind you it might balance the hammond up if its on the opposing side.

you will need to invest in more batterys larger invertor etc and the gennie - I have the small honda - its ok to top your starter batteries or the 12v lights etc, but you'd have to run it continually to make any mark and as has been pinted out that really isnt an option,

hence why your getting the feedback

and as for a gun, your comments (maybe in jest) but taken as written quoted comment re protection / seld defence / anti burglary show that you are not a suitable person to have a shotgun. give up the macho stuff please

An 11kW generator, lots of amplification, a man who is hearing impaired - this idea has 'statutory noise nuisance' written all over it.

I don't know of any Environmental Health Officer who has actually impounded kit from a boat, but rest assured that they do have the power to do so - and quite probably would, too. The canal isn't the place for a noise-making business. The 'best practicable means' to prevent noise nuisance is to do it in a properly insulated building, not a boat made of 4mm steel with holes.

BOB,,

Ive said it several times before, too others, but didnt you do any research first before getting a boat and then trying to get the limited battery / electrics to produce an amount of power that most boaters just dont need,

Yr sense of reality is a tadge distorted - take a long an 11kw generator,,, hope you have a suitable deck space, mind you it might balance the hammond up if its on the opposing side.

you will need to invest in more batterys larger invertor etc and the gennie - I have the small honda - its ok to top your starter batteries or the 12v lights etc, but you'd have to run it continually to make any mark and as has been pinted out that really isnt an option,

hence why your getting the feedback

and as for a gun, your comments (maybe in jest) but taken as written quoted comment re protection / seld defence / anti burglary show that you are not a suitable person to have a shotgun. give up the macho stuff please

Blimey! You lot don't take any prisoners do you? I asked a question once about the length of the centre rope and nearly caused WW3. Don't you realise that this just puts people off asking things? I thought this was supposed to be a friendly, helpfull forum. It seems, instead, to be a platform for some folk to score points! Sort yourselves out lads....

Edited by Tina
  • Greenie 2

No... I applaude the people that have tried to help out. It's a shame that a minority lower the whole tone though... :(

Oh... and it appears I can't spell either! Anyone want to take a pop at me for it?

Edited by Tina