Recording Stuido Power

Bob Blues

Featured Posts

Dear all,

Please forgive me if this has been asked before I have done a search but the Board software keeps telling me I have reached my bandwidth which means can’t view Pics can’t search :help:

I am a Professional Musician and Radio presenter and have purchased a boat with the intention of put my recording stuido onto the boat where I will be in a Marina for the winter and then will cruse about for the rest of the year. I have used a CAD program to make sure I can fit the Hammond, Piano, 5 Keyboards and racks and other computer stuff into the boat without rebuilding the interior. (It might List abit hehe!).

I have a number of questions regarding Power when I am out on the cut; I bought the boat with a 2KVA inverter and it also has a standby Honda Gen and external mains hookup. I have 5 Leisure Batteries and was wondering how long I will get without running the engine. The MasterVolt control panel is not working so I’ll try to either get it changed or fix it. However, saying this I should have 550A to work with (if the batteries work!) And V*A = W, but this is s 12 volt system. If I invert the Voltage to 230v do I still have 550A? How do I work out how long this will last? My recording computer used about 1KW with the SAN disk array attached once the Hammond and Leslie are on it’s about 1.4Kw. Oh forgot to mention I also have an additional 1KVA UPS which will filter the mains so I hope the noise in the electrics are not amplified running the recordings.

Are there any pitfalls in doing this?

Secondly when I broadcast I need to be connected to the internet as this is then relayed from the Server to a number of transmitters and also across the internet. I have bought a 3G router and High gain directional Antenna which work. I was advised to go on the 3 network as this is the best for Data comms and I need an unbroken uplink for 2 hrs. Initial tests to our training/test server through the 3G router was a success but this was from my land based studio. We use clever software that means a 2 hr. broadcast at near CD quality is 41Mb. Has anyone had any problems doing large uploads over the 3 network.

Thirdly, How easy is it to get a Shotgun license for a NB?

Regards

Bob B

• Greenie 2

Dear all,

Please forgive me if this has been asked before I have done a search but the Board software keeps telling me I have reached my bandwidth which means can’t view Pics can’t search :help:

I am a Professional Musician and Radio presenter and have purchased a boat with the intention of put my recording stuido onto the boat where I will be in a Marina for the winter and then will cruse about for the rest of the year. I have used a CAD program to make sure I can fit the Hammond, Piano, 5 Keyboards and racks and other computer stuff into the boat without rebuilding the interior. (It might List abit hehe!).

I have a number of questions regarding Power when I am out on the cut; I bought the boat with a 2KVA inverter and it also has a standby Honda Gen and external mains hookup. I have 5 Leisure Batteries and was wondering how long I will get without running the engine. The MasterVolt control panel is not working so I’ll try to either get it changed or fix it. However, saying this I should have 550A to work with (if the batteries work!) And V*A = W, but this is s 12 volt system. If I invert the Voltage to 230v do I still have 550A? How do I work out how long this will last? My recording computer used about 1KW with the SAN disk array attached once the Hammond and Leslie are on it’s about 1.4Kw. Oh forgot to mention I also have an additional 1KVA UPS which will filter the mains so I hope the noise in the electrics are not amplified running the recordings.

Secondly when I broadcast I need to be connected to the internet as this is then relayed from the Server to a number of transmitters and also across the internet. I have bought a 3G router and High gain directional Antenna which work. I was advised to go on the 3 network as this is the best for Data comms and I need an unbroken uplink for 2 hrs. Initial tests to our training/test server through the 3G router was a success but this was from my land based studio. We use clever software that means a 2 hr. broadcast at near CD quality is 41Mb. Has anyone had any problems doing large uploads over the 3 network.

Regards

Bob B

Cant help with the main content but love the footnote about the shotgun.

Dear all,

Regards

Bob B

1.4 Kw! At least you won't have to run a heater!!!

You need a proper expert for this, but I can see a few things:

You haven't got 550AH of capacity, because you never run a battery down to zero. In reality you've got about 275Ah if your batteries are brand new. And when you convert that from 12v to 240V you have losses in the inverter so that's even less

Mixing KVA and KW isn't exactly right, but with a 2KVA inverter running 1.4KVA of dedicated kit, is a 600 Watt headroom enough?

Don't forget to factor in all the other boaty things you need to run. Like lights, and a fridge

Richard

I'll bet it's phenomenally difficult to get a shotgun license for a boat

From a quick back-of-an-envelope estimate, I'd say that from a fully charged set of brand new batteries you should be able to run your studio for about an hour and a quarter. In practice, starting with batteries that are slightly used (down to say 75% of their brand-new power) and are perhaps only 90% charged when you start, that time would be only about 45 minutes.

I think I'd be seriously looking at ways of reducing the power consumption. And I don't mean by a few percent here and there. I'm talking 60% or preferably much more.

1.4kW is one hell of a lot to try to keep up with from batteries.

1.4kW is one hell of a lot to try to keep up with from batteries.

Exactly, I give herself greif for using the hairdryer (1400w) without having the engine running.

I recon if you can't reduce the power SIGNIFICANTLY and don't want the genny running whilst recording, you better spend a small fortune on solar panels and make sure that you record during the day. :help:

I think a generator is the way forward with that lot. You don't want to be relying on the weather (solar) before you can make a broadcast!

On the upload of your 41MiB file would be more of a concern - does this need to stream smoothly over the 2 hour period or can you upload to a server over a longer period ?

You would need to upload 341 KiB per minute, which is around 6KiB per second, which you should be able to do over 3G

racks of synths are soooo last century, mate. scale yourself down. learn to love your laptop and VST. the heat wastage from a room full of synths is phonomenal. i guess if you're permenantly plugged up to shorepower, you could run what you want. but try moving, and as others have said, you're going to be up against it. remember "boaty things" take power too. pumps, fridge, lights, etc..

good luck. ;)

I think a generator is the way forward with that lot. You don't want to be relying on the weather (solar) before you can make a broadcast!

I would look at fitting a diesel generator, it will be easier in the long run rather than a portable petrol gennie.

racks of synths are soooo last century, mate. scale yourself down. learn to love your laptop and VST. the heat wastage from a room full of synths is phonomenal. i guess if you're permenantly plugged up to shorepower, you could run what you want. but try moving, and as others have said, you're going to be up against it. remember "boaty things" take power too. pumps, fridge, lights, etc..

good luck. ;)

Depending on your marinas electricity supply, there is still a limit on what you can run whilst plugged into shore power without tripping the bollard.

I looked at Solar when I was at the Boat show last week £700 for 65W The Honda gen will put out .9KVA (1000W) This should help. Is there a Noise limit in Marinas? i.e. no gen after 10PM?

On the upload of your 41MiB file would be more of a concern - does this need to stream smoothly over the 2 hour period or can you upload to a server over a longer period ?

You would need to upload 341 KiB per minute, which is around 6KiB per second, which you should be able to do over 3G

You are correct I run at 6KBs I managed to do this and hold a number of chat windows open so I think this is ok, I did a test with Speedtest.net I got 1Mb upload and 2MB down. I bought a Option Globe surfer III - HSUPA High Speed 3G Router so I think it’s best fighting trousers on!

Thanks

Bob B

• Greenie 2

OBTW: The Shotgun License is for a 4.10 Always had guns for food and vermin (6 ft. tall with hoods normally!) I have a clean record and was a soldier for 18 years so handling a gun second nature. Mind you I heard Plod do not like ex-Soldiers with Guns as they know how to use them!

Ohh well

Bob B

• Greenie 1

OBTW: The Shotgun License is for a 4.10 Always had guns for food and vermin (6 ft. tall with hoods normally!) I have a clean record and was a soldier for 18 years so handling a gun second nature. Mind you I heard Plod do not like ex-Soldiers with Guns as they know how to use them!

Ohh well

Bob B

Be careful what you post on a public forum. Ex soldiers with guns is one thing. Ex soldiers living alone on a narrowboat wanting to shoot people that they call vermin????

Richard

• Greenie 1

Ohh well

Bob B

Quite small then.

I think people who know how to use guns are a lot safer than those that don't.

:)

good luck. ;)

Never liked Midi driven recording or VST Plugins, it sounds so unnatural. Drummers are supposed to get stomed and screw up hehe! I have a whole load of plugins them in Sonar but never use them. I played a Hammond Simulator on a stage once when I was asked to do an impromptu appearance Euch!

Id put in a pic if I could find the attach button :banghead:

Bob B

Be careful what you post on a public forum. Ex soldiers with guns is one thing. Ex soldiers living alone on a narrowboat wanting to shoot people that they call vermin????

Richard

Didnt say I was alone B)

I take your point but I do beleive I have a right to protect my property with minium force. If I dont get my License I will just have to use my training. Thanks

Bob B

• Greenie 2

I looked at Solar when I was at the Boat show last week £700 for 65W The Honda gen will put out .9KVA (1000W) This should help. Is there a Noise limit in Marinas? i.e. no gen after 10PM?

There is a noise limit whist out on the cut (no engines or generators after 8pm), and you are unlikely to find a Marina that will put up with it after 8pm either.

As others have said, your power consumption is way off-scale for managing from a battery-inverter system.

Broadly speaking, you should halve the Ah capacity to calculate the available capacity, and you should not draw at more than 10% of the nominal capacity.

So, if you have 500Ah cpacity, you can draw 50A for 5 hours. That will give you 2.5A at 230v. You could get 5A for 2.5 hours, but you will be killing the batteries.

Oh, and you are probably going to have to run the engine all day to replace that charge.

Boating and using lots of power do NOT work.

I take your point but I do beleive I have a right to protect my property with minium force. If I dont get my License I will just have to use my training. Thanks

Well if you are capable of defending your property without the use of a gun, using one cannot beconsidered "minimum force".

• Greenie 1

i didn't know boats could shoot!! LOL and by the way it's STUDIO not stuido (what hope is there for the english language?) :cheers:

Yes, Thank you for pointing out to the world I suffer from Dyslexia. I tried to erase the post when I saw it but it wouldn’t let me.

I’m sure there are other things you can do other than point out other peoples disabilities. I am also partially deaf from being blown up whist in the service of my country maybe you want to shout this out to every one!

Bob B

• Greenie 1

Bob B

How can I put this nicely, forget it, without the correct set up..

Most if not all marinas ban generator running at any time, especially if they supply shoreline power, the maximum shoreline power is usually about 16amps fractionally over 3Kw, lots are less.

Noise nuisance would be another factor, unless you do it through headphones.

When out on the cut, generators may only be run from 08:00Hrs to 20:00Hrs.

ps. my boat all electric and has 7Kw diesel generator, the generator uses about 1.25 litres an hour.

Internet connection on the canals at best is mediocre at the worst impossible.

Good luck :cheers: