VAT and liveaboard boats

Hippoclides

Featured Posts

All machinery supplied to a qualifying ship at any time can be supplied at 0% vat. This is not the same as vat free.

Maintenance such as dry docking can also be done at 0% vat.

Well it was when I owned a qualifying ship

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Some time ago, I was also of the opinion that it was related to 'tea-chests', however further digging back into history revealed otherwise :

It was actually a measurement of how many Tuns the hold could accommodate, a Tun was a barrel / flask / cask for holding wine or beer and had a capacity of 4 hogsheads.

A hogshead was 64 (imperial) gallons of beer (250 litres) so 4 hogsheads was pretty much equivalent to a Ton in weight.

The term TUN eventually evolved into 'Ton' and the volume of the ships hold evolved from Tunnage to Tonnage.

As I said, that was the explanation in the old VAT pamphlet I had. I am perfectly prepared to admit that they got it as wrong as some of their other claims!

On 07/04/2019 at 16:57, Alan de Enfield said:

Some time ago, I was also of the opinion that it was related to 'tea-chests', however further digging back into history revealed otherwise :

It was actually a measurement of how many Tuns the hold could accommodate, a Tun was a barrel / flask / cask for holding wine or beer and had a capacity of 4 hogsheads.

A hogshead was 64 (imperial) gallons of beer (250 litres) so 4 hogsheads was pretty much equivalent to a Ton in weight.

The term TUN eventually evolved into 'Ton' and the volume of the ships hold evolved from Tunnage to Tonnage.

About 50 years ago our village had a pub called the Tuns and there are several others around with the same name

If you install fitted wardrobes in a new build house the rails and shelves don't qualify as they are classed as a luxury item! No white goods do either.

I'm looking for a new build widebeam and despite lots being advertised as awailable vat free they don't actually exist when you enquire. It's also my understanding that it's illegal to advertise retail pricing ex vat if it's aimed at retail customers. Trade yes, retail no.