Whitfield

dor

Featured Posts

In that someone with a vested interest in making the point would be able to turn such a character building event into a negative issue

Your statement is supported by what evidence?

Richard

'Cos I think you are wrong, much like most of the 'it's Health and Safety innit' statements

Its a supposition not a statement as is "Cos I think youre wrong......

True. Less disastrous consequences in my supposition though , plus my son has just started at TRW and managed to avoid a few of these old favourites already

Richard

In that someone with a vested interest in making the point would be able to turn such a character building event into a negative issue

Where does character building come into it..?? its time wasting and demeaning..!! haha

Could someone translate that please? I think I got sent the stores for a skyhook when I was an apprentice...

Richard

Yes there are many jokes around about skyhooks, but the new system uses a combination of GPS positioning and computer controlled pod drives and thrusters to keep the boat exactly where you tell it to stay. You wouldnt use it all of the time and under normal circumstances would drive normally. However we used it to great effect to keep the boat statinary outside Port Solent lock whilst it was readied for us. The boat stayed put whilst we sorted out the ropes and fenders mid channel with quite a tide behind us. Quite handy, but yes you do lose the sense of achievement at manouvering the boat in tight spaces but if i had just spent £500k on a new boat I would want all the toys i could get to help prevent damageing it :blink:

Where does character building come into it..?? its time wasting and demeaning..!! haha

No, it's character building.

The time spent is minimal, and the lessons taught regarding the need to THINK are invaluable.

I have yet to see a better method of inculcating the idea that thinking about what you are doing is vital to doing the right thing.

Doubtless training courses, taking 10 times as long, costing vast sums of money and achieving far less than the old style object lesson, are now used.

What I hear I forget, what I see I remember, what I do I understand.

Could someone translate that please? I think I got sent the stores for a skyhook when I was an apprentice...

Richard

My joy was asking the storeman for some spots for a spot welding machine.... :rolleyes:

Yes there are many jokes around about skyhooks, but the new system uses a combination of GPS positioning and computer controlled pod drives and thrusters to keep the boat exactly where you tell it to stay. You wouldnt use it all of the time and under normal circumstances would drive normally. However we used it to great effect to keep the boat statinary outside Port Solent lock whilst it was readied for us. The boat stayed put whilst we sorted out the ropes and fenders mid channel with quite a tide behind us. Quite handy, but yes you do lose the sense of achievement at manouvering the boat in tight spaces but if i had just spent £500k on a new boat I would want all the toys i could get to help prevent damageing it :blink:

We're quite content with our bow thruster. And before all of the Traditionally Correct police join in, we opted for it because we're a pair of frail old gits :(

Edited by Doorman

was that the one attached to the long stand?

On his last day, we got a work experience boy on this one when I worked at Tooleys. Luckily the ironmongers where primed and ready for his arrival and had him waiting around (totally unaware) for 20 minutes before they sent him back.

He was still totally unaware of the joke when he returned and we had to explain it to him. We were pissing ourselves laughing at him for the rest of the day! (I'm laughing about it as I type!)

Not sure it had anything to do with encouraging the guy to think logically about a situation. It was more about giving us a laugh!

Still, he will play the same trick on a trainee when he is older, so all is fair!

Similar to the golden rivet

Ah... the golden rivet. Isn't that the one where when you bend down to check it out, you have to keep your hand on your halfpenny... :unsure:

AH yes, Your son is one of the lucky younger generation to find a job then, good luck to him

Is he Polish..?

Like these?

Tim

I've been in touch to see if they stock an imperial equivalent.... :wacko:

Edited by Doorman

I've been in touch to see if they stock an imperial equivalent.... :wacko:

Can I use the Milli-grip on imperial nuts and bolts, or on AF or Whitworth sizes?

The Milli-grip is precision engineered, and the two current models, Milli-grip25 and Milli-grip32 , are designed to fit metric sizes. This is because the ratchet system, which gives it speed and precision, works in increments of one millimetre. A separate model, which will work in increments of 1/16 th of an inch, is currently under development

Under development :blink:

A separate model, which will work in increments of 1/16 th of an inch, is currently under development[/i]

Under development :blink:

I was convinced that this was the work of the Americans until I looked further, it typifies

their preoccupation with ideas to help ease the taxing of their 'brains'. :wacko:

Mike

• 3 years later...

June Whitfield is very nice, she has a brother called David, who used to sing, He sang on the telly in the 1960's, his favorite song that he kept singing was ''Carramea Mine'' It was awful.

Here's another one which seriously deviates from the norm.

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/Trads/traditional-narrow-boat-for-sale-with-gardner-3lw-vintage-engine-stowe-hill-weedon-grand-union-canal-rugby-boats.html

Personally, it's certainly not to my taste.

2013, as new.

A perfect illustration of "If you're going to build a boat that's unique to you, make sure you really want it". Smells of another one that's lost someone a shedload of money.

MP.

2013, as new.

A perfect illustration of "If you're going to build a boat that's unique to you, make sure you really want it". Smells of another one that's lost someone a shedload of money.

MP.

Don't think thst layout was well thought out! And 16 leisure batteries?!!