Whitfield

dor

Featured Posts

Here's another one which seriously deviates from the norm.

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/Trads/traditional-narrow-boat-for-sale-with-gardner-3lw-vintage-engine-stowe-hill-weedon-grand-union-canal-rugby-boats.html

Personally, it's certainly not to my taste.

The upholstery is a trifle sudden, but the boat has got a decent engine. A little non-standard in layout, but positively humdrum compared with Whitefield!

The upholstery is a trifle sudden, but the boat has got a decent engine. A little non-standard in layout, but positively humdrum compared with Whitefield!

It has an absolute corker of an engine, about 13 grands worth if it's a professional rebuild. Which makes the near new 70 foot boat look relatively cheap.

It has an absolute corker of an engine,

Yes, I agree - like Trojan's engine plus 50%.

I believe that 3LWs go for less money than the 2-cylinder variety, as they are often perceived as too big for narrowboats and there is thus less demand for them.

Edited by Athy

Yes, I agree - like Trojan's engine plus 50%.

I believe that 3LWs go for less money than the 2-cylinder variety, as they are often perceived as too big for narrowboats and there is thus less demand for them.

Yes, 3LW's are usually a bit cheaper than 2LW's. But then, for a professional remanufacture there is an extra cylinder, rod, piston etc to consider. I would certainly hold by my figure as a good "fag packet" price.

2LW 28 horsepower, 3LW 42 horsepower, I would be a very happy chappy to have either gracing my engine room.

I have seen a number of boats with 4LK's, but whilst they still come with the Gardner name, they don't sound quite so impressive.

2LW 28 horsepower, 3LW 42 horsepower, I would be a very happy chappy to have either gracing my engine room.

I have seen a number of boats with 4LK's, but whilst they still come with the Gardner name, they don't sound quite so impressive.

They're more modern - introduced only about 1935! In practical terms I believe that their disadvantage is that they are no longer supported by Gardner Parts so spares are not so readily available.

As for being happy to have a Gardner in one's engine room - yes indeed, I can vouch for that. It took me quite a few years to work up to one, mind.

Edited by Athy

• 7 years later...

Whitfield II could be coming to a canal near you soon, this from Facebook from someone looking for a builder

"

liveaboard, year round, 1 forward cabin, spacious professional galey, 4kw diesel generator, inboard torquedo power, 4kw solar, preferably bow end jetted hottub (3-4 person), canvas cover, bow and stern (higher on stern that can easily be brought down for bridges and packs easily). Cantilever swim deck (to also act as a bumper) cape cod interior decor.
Steel hull, separate enclosed room preferably under helm as an office.
Multi fuel stove that doubles as a smoker.
Built in counter appliances
Under £500,000"
  • Haha 1
  • Horror 1

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Whitfield II could be coming to a canal near you soon, this from Facebook from someone looking for a builder

"

liveaboard, year round, 1 forward cabin, spacious professional galey, 4kw diesel generator, inboard torquedo power, 4kw solar, preferably bow end jetted hottub (3-4 person), canvas cover, bow and stern (higher on stern that can easily be brought down for bridges and packs easily). Cantilever swim deck (to also act as a bumper) cape cod interior decor.
Under £500,000"

And where is this to be used?

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

"

Under £500,000"

Widebeam I assume, given the description and what they want to fit in?

(and I thought Whitfield was narrow?)

Edited by IanD

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

Widebeam I assume, given the description and what they want to fit in?

(and I thought Whitfield was narrow?)

That, I think, was Whitefield - which is also for sale, if the internet is to be believed, at Barbridge Marina for £125,999.

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

That, I think, was Whitefield - which is also for sale, if the internet is to be believed, at Barbridge Marina for £125,999.

I found this Narrow Boats for Sale | WHITEFIELD FOR SALE (midwayboats.co.uk) which indicates its not with them yet, but its not on their stock list

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, Athy said:

So either they failed to sell it, or the new owners quickly got fed up with it.

The Video was posted 

FOR SALE: WHITEFIELD (2)

22 Mar 2022
7 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I hope that Dor, looking down from above, appreciates his topic's further posts.

I dont know Dor, I know very few members on here

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

Whitfield was recently sold by Aqueduct Marina, it was on the hard standing area for some time prior to sale. I believe that was late 2021 or early 2022.

It was deffo on the hard 10th Nov ‘21 as we drove past it whilst looking at a boat there.

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

It was in a Narrowboat group. Not sure why they would want to go swimming off the back

From what i read, the guy has a big boat in Canada so thats the style of inland waterway cruising he’s used to, the UK canals may come as a bit of a shock

11 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

From what i read, the guy has a big boat in Canada so thats the style of inland waterway cruising he’s used to, the UK canals may come as a bit of a shock

The office under the helm and the 4 people jetted hot tub will be interesting

11 hours ago, IanD said:

Especially in a narrowboat...

I’ve seen some hire boats  with a hot tub in the welldeck/bow area, can’t think where from just now, so it’s not a new concept.

Can’t say i’d fancy it meself. My only contact with a hot tub has been with a lodge up at Kielder, it was kept running constantly and a chap came to check it every day. Power draw to keep it toasty must be significant, so surely you couldn’t run it that way on a boat. How long and how much power to heat that volume of water? God rest yer batteries. (obviously not a job for old LA)

24 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I’ve seen some hire boats  with a hot tub in the welldeck/bow area, can’t think where from just now, so it’s not a new concept.

Can’t say i’d fancy it meself. My only contact with a hot tub has been with a lodge up at Kielder, it was kept running constantly and a chap came to check it every day. Power draw to keep it toasty must be significant, so surely you couldn’t run it that way on a boat. How long and how much power to heat that volume of water? God rest yer batteries. (obviously not a job for old LA)

Coolant loop from the engine to warm the tub.

If you want bubbles, run the engine exhaust in to the hot tub! Luxury. 😀