Ramming the lockgates?

NigelJ

Featured Posts

I've read through this discussion with great interest, some excellent debate, generally with good humour.

Like Mike A (and others) I try and boat in a way which is not rushed but which is efficient, therefore easier, and pleasurable, and which reflects the traditions or should I say the customs of the cut, and doesn't hold anyone else up.

One point which has not been mentioned regarding tail gates which won't stay shut - I was told, many years ago (30/40 I would say) by a lock keeper that on some canals the gates were deliberately hung so as to swing open automatically (I think T&M might have been one, and I think the new locks on the GU maybe as well). The canal builders were actually quite innovative and clever so it wouldn't surprise me if this were true. Regarding stopping a boat with a paddle going up narrow locks, I find this doesn't always work, but guess it works better with a loaded boat than an empty one. Certainly I've seen boats worked this way - half a paddle up as the boat comes in, but controlling the speed with the paddle as necessary (same as going downhill when strapping the top gate shut).

Best wishes

David L

Swallow / Apollo