Where do you store your Anchor

Featured Posts

Hi,

Several fellow boaters tend to store an anchor on my boat, in the front hold and then put in a request to 'borrow'it, when and if they travel on rivers.

I also have a 'mud weight' also in the front hold, much easier to store when not needed.

Leo.

The chain is attached so that the anchor lies 'flat' along the river bed. It doesn't make hauling it out easier. More likely it will be easier with just a rope attached, because it might not have dug itself in.

Tone

I think that it ought to have something attached to the eye at the top though...

Richard

I think that it ought to have something attached to the eye at the top though...

Richard

i agree, i had one on a riverboat with a second rope attached to the base of the anchor which was used to dislodge it after use by basically pulling it backwards before attempting to lift it on its main chain and rope, used it like this a fair few times along the trent and soar and it worked a treat and surprisingly the two lines never got snagged together.

Rick

i agree, i had one on a riverboat with a second rope attached to the base of the anchor which was used to dislodge it after use by basically pulling it backwards before attempting to lift it on its main chain and rope, used it like this a fair few times along the trent and soar and it worked a treat and surprisingly the two lines never got snagged together.

Rick

I think it's called a tripping line.

You are going to be busy getting it back out the river - without a chain attached:rolleyes:

Alex

We didn't think we'd need it when we were up the Ashby Canal, so the chain was stored under the back cabin floor. :P

It's shackled to the anchor and stored on the roof when we are on a river! B)

Hi,

we find that the best place to store the anchor - when in use, is on the bottom of the river.

Rob

As an alternative I have also found it quite useful to store it on the bank, when in use overnight, if you are worried that your pins might pull out of a soft riverbank. With the bucket of chain still on the bows of the boat but free to pay out if required, in the morning when the pins haven't pulled out you have only a few feet of chain, plus the anchor itself, to place back on board.

Do you really need a tripping line? I've got my anchor off the bottom before by just moving forward and taking the bow of the boat over the anchor which dislodges it.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwODItMjAwOTEyMTgtMDgxM.jpg

My main anchor is in a hawse pipe which goes right through the gas locker. I've got a 20kg danforth at the stern too, but it's just held onto the outside of one of the vertical bench supports with a couple of bungee cords.

Edited by blackrose