charging batteries

mick1964

Featured Posts

Hi everybody, Happy New Year.

I have to replace my batteries, at the moment I have 4 x 110amph batteries. Does anybody know if it would be possible to increase the amphours eg 4x 125amph or 4x 135amph using 110amp and 50amp alternators (160 amp total)?

Would my alternators be up to the task?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Mick

You could increase to 1000 amp-hours on a 10 amp alternator, it would still be up to the task.

If you took the same amount out of them as you do today, it would take the same amount of time to recharge them as it does today. On the other hand if you took advantage of their increased storage ability (and remember a battery is merely a storage device) and took a whole lot more out before recharging, then it would take a whole lot longer to recharge them.

Hi everybody, Happy New Year.

I have to replace my batteries, at the moment I have 4 x 110amph batteries. Does anybody know if it would be possible to increase the amphours eg 4x 125amph or 4x 135amph using 110amp and 50amp alternators (160 amp total)?

Would my alternators be up to the task?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Mick

You just need to check the physical size of the higher capacity batts and make sure they will fit your battery tray and the height you have in it.

If you are moving from open lead acid batts to sealed/no maintenance batts to do it some would advise against cause in boat situation it is handy to be able to check upon and top up the electrolyte. No maintenance one's can still be overcharged and dry up.

You have more than enough charging capacity with your twin alts but you might enjoy some popcorn and beers with the paralleling alts thread :cheers: