how did you pick youre boats name

AKULA

Featured Posts

"Chalice" came pre-named.

I suspect it may well have been built for "Charles and Alice", but that's just a guess, other than we know the owner had the initial "C".

We liked it enough, and thought it unusual enough, that we kept it.

It's not currently painted on, following a repaint, so we could change it, but I think once sign-written it will still be "Chalice".

Mind you, we took a similar approach with our rescue dog, and retained his name "Charlie". If we had had any idea just what percentage of dogs are called "Charlie", I think we might have changed it. Mind you the main alternate suggestions seemed to be "Joe" or "Jarvis", (he is a Cocker!), so I guess he got off lightly!

:smiley_offtopic:

This thread reminds me of a joke. A young american indian boys asks his father how he chose his sister's name, Running Deer?

"When she was born I looked out of the teepee and the first thing I saw was a deer running through the trees."

"And how did you choose my brother's name?"

"When he was born I looked out of the teepee and saw an eagle high in the sky so I called him Soaring Eagle."

"Why do you ask, Two Dogs Sha**ing?"

akula for me a russian shark a russian submarine in mem of those that died on the kursk i dont know why i just felt i had to

rgds mike

Wanted a name that reflected the canal in some way. Liking plants and gardening after much thought went from the horticultural name for (white) willow which grows in wonderful profusion on the banks. (Don't ask about Brassknocker-another story!).

The Dog House came with it's name.

We had always intended to re-name any boat we bought. However on our maiden voyage it became very evident the name caused much amusement and comment amongst fellow boaters and gongoozlers alike.

So the name stuck.

Edited by MJG

.......and makes me think of Jade Goody!

Oh dear - a good reason to change it, surely ? :wacko:

The Dog House came with it's name.

Also makes me think of J.........

(no!, better not go there, had we!)

:smiley_offtopic:

This thread reminds me of a joke. A young american indian boys asks his father how he chose his sister's name, Running Deer?

"When she was born I looked out of the teepee and the first thing I saw was a deer running through the trees."

"And how did you choose my brother's name?"

"When he was born I looked out of the teepee and saw an eagle high in the sky so I called him Soaring Eagle."

"Why do you ask, Two Dogs Sha**ing?"

The version of that joke I heard was.

Why do you ask these things broken rubber

akula for me a russian shark a russian submarine in mem of those that died on the kursk i dont know why i just felt i had to

rgds mike

ah your the AKULA that is on Golden Nook Farm, mine is their too on the land at the mo for the winter, your boat is looking good

Nik

My boat is tentatively named after a 'Peer Gynt' long wheel-base recumbent bicycle, that I saw in Germany in 200? I planned to make one but then got sidetracked and decided to build a narrowboat instead. I still have all the parts to make the bike, just need to braze the frame together. After building that bike I was going to build a short wheel-base bike to be called Anitra's Dance. (I only have a set of waterslide transfers to show for that one!)

Mike

Ours (Lady Moonlight) came with the boat as we bought 2nd hand. At the time of purchase I regarded it (and still do really) as a bit sissy and wanted to change it ASAP but since it is sign written on the side it would take repaint to alter. So 3 years or more later it has the same name and of course we have got used to it so I am not sure it will get changed now the longer it stays.

mine is named 'Cair Paravel' because Im a huge fan of C.S. Lewis and love with a passion the Narnia stories. TLWW was the first book I read and I still read them all every year. Cair Paravel is a fantasy castle and a safe haven...so my boat is my castle and most certainly my haven.

It is the name of the road we lived in, we actually lived in a one bedroom flat that was in a house that was at the side of the road, when we first got married.

The flat was smaller than the boat we now own. :blink:

We were accused of doing this (Winging-it)for most of our lives by a rather boring relative to be, even though we have both worked all our adult lives and rather liked the irony of the name. However there have been a few times whilst boating that the name has been appropriate and likewise winging git has been a mistake that some have made which at times may also be apt! Mike and Lorraine

I wouldn't have thought it neccessary to explain the reason fopr the name of our boat, it should be obvious.

Best I can do with a google is a three star hotel in Venice - did you once stay there?

My father's christian names. All boats were new or un-named, so no problem with changing names.

Ernest - Earnest - play on words

Beatty - Beatty - watery/NB connections

Maurice - Maurice A - left to last. My father's main christian name (for some reason the part of Canada he was from used the LAST christian name as the first!)

He died at 66 and never got round to buying a boat (the nearest he came was a new 36ft Springer in 1972 - on sale for £3675.00!)

All three have been financed from his estate. Run out of names, and money, so there won't be any more!

I thought up the name of Mrs TNC's Wilderness Beaver - Mini Me (after the Austin Powers character).

This was a good talking point and kids loved the name...probably why it never got anything chucked at it.

It had a few names in its life, Endaxai and Maid Of The Teas being the last names, before we re-named it.

Maid Of The Teas was particularly annoying, so it had to go. The last woman owner was a collector of Teasmades!!!